What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoking RV-4's

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
So where did you RV-4 guys put your smoke tank?

I can't put mine between my legs because my radio is there.

Pictures would help.

Smoking airplanes system, mounted 3.5 gal tank behind rear seat in baggage area. You'll want to reinforce the baggage area floor to take nut plates and make the tank easily removable. Mine comes out in less than five minutes. I took up smoking three years ago :)
Cheers,
Hans

My 3.5 gal tank is also mounted in the baggage compartment as far forward in there as possible. As Hans mentioned, reinforce the floor there. My tank is homebrew and held down with a cargo strap secured to the reinforced floor with eye hooks and some aluminum angle on the floor around the sides to keep it from slidding.

My tank

005_zps7e80842a.jpg

Baggage compartment

I also installed Smoking Planes 3.5 in baggage compt. I put a .040" doubler under the baggage pan to stiffen it between the stringers . Takes less than 5 minutes to remove the whole system, but I seldom do. I can set 2 soft bags with overnight gear right on top of it and still travel. The -4 baggage limit with 2 is so minimal anyway, and its important to always have at least a "gallon of smoke" with you at all times :D

Tank location

We are going to install a smoke tank right behind the firewall where the battery mounts and move the battery to the firewall. This should help keep the CG farther forward when carrying a passenger.
I will post pictures when it's completed.

Its been mentioned before but I cant find the thread. We had an RV-4, Bob Goodmans, where he put a tank behind the firewall. 2 angles were installed between the longerons. Then a saddle was made from some scrap I think .020 aluminum. Saddle strips were attached to the alum angle support arms. He had ordered a custom tank from somewhere on-line to his exact measurements with filler cap in his desired location. Made an access door in the skin. Sorry I dont have pics or more details. Ill try and get him to respond to this thread. It was a great location for the -4 as we all know baggage space is a premium in that plane as well as a more sensitive CG.

RV-4 smoke tank behind firewall

rv4smoketank.jpg

Tank is 6.75"x9.5"x18.5" and holds 5 gallons. All plumbing and pump from Smoking Airplanes. Support saddle is 0.030 sheet 18"x22"bent with 1/2" hooked ends and 7" sides and bottom. Hooked ends are supported by 3/4"x1/8" angles 7" apart and spanning the top fuselage longerons. The bungee is just to tighten the fit. The tank lifts up and out with removal of the bungee.

Smoke Tank Location

I make welded aluminum tanks and complete smoke system kits and the tank also mounts in the baggage area but I like the forward mounting idea. I keep 3 and 4 gallon tanks in stock that should fit either place. If you really want 5 gallons, it would be easy for me to make a 5 gallon tank. I have a website where you can see all the tanks and kits and they are also carried by Aircraft Spruce. Also have custom tanks for the RV-6 RV-7 RV-9 RV-8
www.smoke-system-helper.com P.S. My kits are less expensive than the other guys.

Custom Smoke Tank

We installed the custom built tank hopefully for the last time. Everything was leak checked before going in and all the lines are hooked up. We still haven't decided where to route the fill line yet. The tank holds a little over three gallons and all the extra weight is in front of the wing spar, so it will help with rear passenger CG issues.
5679C332-7ECC-47FA-9D04-D7CAD3C0DE35_zpsncigyo1e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5CB2E182-3166-447D-AEE9-C16E23D9B169_zpsbq33p37c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FEC919E5-E607-4D65-9B2B-0CAF7C439C7E_zps5ct9wfvw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ED640E11-55DA-4C71-BD1B-E7D56DFF9975_zpspjvzjldy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3D74C293-E18F-4165-BDE2-D6FCC9B170FE_zps1eo8ryfd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
33F6698F-B6F4-4822-BA19-2E84B3D81E38_zpsoh9vsvhs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very nice

I love your location for CG purposes, as I still have my battery,ect there, as well as a console/glove box. I have my 3.5 gallon tank behind the rear seat, which is very easy to service and removable. Id like to know what type fill and quantity system you are going to use, because I have found filling and knowing quantity, as well as keeping everything clean is what makes a system stay "fun". Keep us posted!

Any progress?

I like this idea and am curious where you mounted the battery. I suspect on top of the tank?

I heard you the first time.. (Grin) :)

Thanks for the response. I'm considering smoke and what you've done with yours gives me some ideas.

Tank Capacity

The tank does have a flop tube, but no baffle. I believe the capacity was about 3.3 gallons when we leak checked the welds. We got the pump, regulator, and injectors from http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/. The filler is located on the right side of the front turtle deck. It is a flush fuel filler cap we got off Ebay. it is vented so the tank didn't require one.
8311445f2eb745b25f1b5a2ebf909e8e_zps7816c567.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
51ad9461894f4c79bc50f87c235727e5_zps3fb86fee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ec324cd380da5eb484bc8a5ed0854190_zps6d57ebc5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
e70f5ff1eb1234d7b5338e3a561c03e5_zps8ee93821.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

I'm currently installing a Smoking Planes system in the baggage area of the -4. How are ya'll running the oil line from the back to the front?? I've seen other airplanes with holes drilled through the bulkheads and I REALLLLLY don't want to have to do that. It's unsightly and weakens the structure some.

Back