What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Transition Training in OR, and flight plan to WI

I am a soon to be RV-6 owner that is traveling from WI to Independence OR on July 14th. I am looking for a checkout and sign off with a local CFI that meets the insurance company requirement of at least 25 hours in make and model. The transition training could take place on the 15th. I would also like to get a price on dual instruction through the mountain portion of the trip. I currently have a tailwheel endorsement with zero time in an RV.

Does anyone have any good safe flight plans from the PDX area through the Rockies they can share for the trip back to KLNR southern WI?

Thanks,
Chad

You did not say if your insurance company has mandated any minimum number of hours of dual. If it's more than 8 hours you'll need more than one day (or more than one cfi).
Mike is very good and thus very busy. Call asap.

For the return trip I highly recommend you beg, borrow, or buy a portable oxygen set up. Then fly over the mountains, rather than around them. Note the airlines generally won't let you bring a tank on board, you'll need to get it locally in PDX. Or ground ship it in advance. Or rent in PDX and ground ship it back.

Not a direct route, but you could fly southeast, pick up I-80 near Salt Lake, and follow it thru southern Wyoming. That's possible without O2.

PS When you call Mike make it clear that you are providing the aircraft, so he doesn't have to get Van's.

Last edited:
The insurance company did not specify a specific time, only a sign off/checkout from a CFI with 25 hours in make and model.

I sent Mike Seager an email this morning.

Chad

there is a fella named brian with a long name. see vans' web site, he is on there. I used him and he did great for me. he is up twards portland.

Gary Brown

Try Gary Brown in Independence. If he is around sure he would help you. Search for his contact info

kai

Back