What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Number N1RV Now Available

Paladin

I'm New Here
Hey all. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I recently retired tail number N1RV from my Baron and have been approached with an offer to transfer it. Thought I'd see if there was any interest from others in the RV community before I address that offer.

If interested, email me: info at primus-fl.com

Rich

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Rich, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

The N number you are offering up, really would be a good one for the guy who started the whole RV thing, Van himself.

Would be a fantastic thing to do at Oshkosh next year, when they honor him for his achievements.

The current effort to restore the RV1 will be keeping the original "N" number I expect.

Anyway, good to have you as a member.

Last edited:
You; "Tower, Experimental 1RV inbound with Alfa"
Tower: "RV Inbound what is your N number"
You: "1RV"
Tower: " Yes, 1 RV inbound, what is your Number?"

Kind of like who's on first.

I am sure you will have no issues selling your number. Good RV numbers are very hard to come by.

That would be pretty awesome to get that on the RV-1 that is being restored.

Only one problem, it really isn't a restoration then. While that would be cool, the RV-1 should stick with the N-number it was born with. IMHO

Only one problem, it really isn't a restoration then. While that would be cool, the RV-1 should stick with the N-number it was born with. IMHO

Definitely agree with you! The original RV-1 will be sporting it's original N-number. But man, N1RV would be cool to have....for other purposes....

Paul

I'd make you an offer, but my extra $$$ is going into college saving accounts :D. Cool number though!!!!

Can't hurt to try though, I'll give you $35 for it!

Last edited:
Considering that N1RV commanded several thousand dollars some years ago, I expect any bids today of less than 5k would be a waste of time. Just sayin'...

Considering that N1RV commanded several thousand dollars some years ago, I expect any bids today of less than 5k would be a waste of time. Just sayin'...

Paul can do this.......... he gets to split it 50/50. Plus, junior will really only have one birthday.................:D

Wouldn't it be nice for DR's RV-3: polished, open-cockpit icon of VAF for the ages. Can't ya just see the T-shirts now? We should take up a collection. I'm in for $100.

[ed. Very nice thought Stephen. Appreciate it. dr]

--
Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Mike S.

It should go to Van himself. Period. IMHO.

I would be in for a donation and I don't even own an RV!

Mark

I'm still deciding if the coolness would outweigh the trouble you have with the towers when flying. I bet you get asked to confirm or repeat your tail number on every other flight.

Last edited:
I'm with Mike S.

It should go to Van himself. Period. IMHO.

I would be in for a donation and I don't even own an RV!

Mark

Knowing what I know about Van, I am sure he would be humbled, but I bet he would think the whole notion of paying hard earned cash on any number would not equate well in his brain. If I had to guess, he would say this is a whole lot to do about nothing. Just a guess, from my experiences with him and those that know him well.

Don't think so!!!!!!!

The bidding is already up to $5,000.00 so let's go guys, it's only money and you cant take it with you, right? Allan:rolleyes:

You; "Tower, Experimental 1RV inbound with Alfa"
Tower: "RV Inbound what is your N number"
You: "1RV"
Tower: " Yes, 1 RV inbound, what is your Number?"

Kind of like who's on first.

I am sure you will have no issues selling your number. Good RV numbers are very hard to come by.

I've had that happen a few times, especially when I call center controllers.

"Good morning, Chicago center, Experimental Eight Romeo Victor."

"Experimental Eight Romeo Victor, say entire N-number."

"November Eight Romeo Victor."

"November Eight Romeo Victor, go ahead ..."

It's annoying and rewarding at the same time. :D

N1RV would be great for Van's Aircraft to have for posterity, but I agree that Van himself would likely consider it a waste of time and money.

I've had that happen a few times, especially when I call center controllers.

"Good morning, Chicago center, Experimental Eight Romeo Victor."

"Experimental Eight Romeo Victor, say entire N-number."

"November Eight Romeo Victor."

"November Eight Romeo Victor, go ahead ..."

It's annoying and rewarding at the same time. :D

Yep, I've had that exact conversation quite a few times with my number N8YV...

Yep, I've had that exact conversation quite a few times with my number N8YV...

Yep.. I starting learning to fly in N1ZZ. Eventually I just introduced myself and "November One Zulu Zulu".

With four letters, doesn't seem to be an issue very often.

OK, time for me to brag a little. Here in Canada we have alpha characters only in our registrations. I lucked out in that my last three registration letters are JOY. Yes, she IS a joy to fly, but in truth the builder of the aircraft reserved that registration to honour his wife with a namesake. Still, it's definitely a registration that starts conversations!

Back