What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheepskin seat cleaning - how or where ?

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
Looks like my sheepskin seats haven?t been cleaned in 10 years so either I wash them or I have to reupholster them and that would mean then deciding between leather or vinyl or cloth .....:eek:

How do you clean them? Washing machine, hand wash, vehicle seat foam spray cleaner?

Or do you take them to the dry cleaners? I?m afraid of that because of the chemicals they use and I don?t know how that could affect the seats.

Per Google

Use detergent in cold water, then submerge the seat cover and wash it. Use cold water to thoroughly rinse your sheepskin cover. Let the cover dry naturally indoors, occasionally stretching out the skin to ensure it does not shrink.

Sheepskin care

I purchased the sheepskin for our rv10 seats from Douglass interior products. Their recommendation for sheepskin care is listed here

https://douglassinteriorproducts.com/care-tips/

Having said that I machine washed our sheepskin and they got hard and shrunk. Maybe I didn’t follow the recommendation to a t. I ended up remaking them in a darker color. From now on I would hand clean

Last edited:
Use detergent in cold water, then submerge the seat cover and wash it. Use cold water to thoroughly rinse your sheepskin cover. Let the cover dry naturally indoors, occasionally stretching out the skin to ensure it does not shrink.

Thanks. I searched this forum and have read hours of google results but I was looking for direct experience.

I purchased the sheepskin for our rv10 seats from Douglass interior products. There recommendation for sheepskin care is listed here

https://douglassinteriorproducts.com/care-tips/

Having said that I machine washed our sheepskin and they got hard and shrunk. Maybe I didn?t follow the recommendation to a t. I ended up remaking them in a darker color. From now on I would hand clean

Thanks. This is what I?m looking for. Direct knowledge to be sure of the results and what not to do too. I?ll check out that link.

I had some authentic sheepskin seat covers on a truck at one time. The shop that installed them told me to wash them with "No More Tears" kids shampoo in my washing machine and let them air dry "fluffing" them as they dried.

Worked like a charm. I couldn't believe that they pretty much looked brand new after the wash job. I remember wishing I would have done it sooner.

FWIW.

Thanks. I had removed the foam to wash them and now that I reinstalled the foam I can imagine trying to do that with them wet or if they shrink even ?? inch ! It was a hassle to say the least so I?m going to do the more labor intensive and I?m going to wash them by hand with soft or delicate soap or shampoo in a cool area tomorrow morning and let them slowly dry inside of my house.

Back