What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire/wheel balance

cderk

Well Known Member
Wondering how many folks have actually balanced their wheels? Like many I have a shimmy from my mains around 30-35 kts when rolling out.

I bought a wheel balancer and the wheels needed 1.75oz on one and about 2oz on the other. Virtually in the same spot too - near the red dot where you?re supposed to put the valve stem.

I took transition training in the factory -10 which also had a shimmy. The instructor told Me that the wheel needed to be balanced.

I?ve got the stock grove wheels and tires that Van?s sells as per of the kit.

I have to imagine that if it is indeed off by this much, this could be the source of the vibration.

Thoughts?

How are your tires after you did the balance? Shimmy gone?

I bought a Harbor Freight wheel balancer to use next time I swap out tires. I'm hoping it's worth the effort...can't hurt I suppose.

Karl - havent tried it yet. I bought the bubble balancer from Harbor Freight... the other one wont work... I tried. its for wheels with a less than 1.5? hub.

I?m hoping to get things put back together and fly in the next 2 days. I used proseal to attach the weights. 4 inboard and 4 outboard.

Balance

motorcycle shops have stick on balance weights in 1/4 oz increments. They can easily be cut into smaller pieces.

Karl - havent tried it yet. I bought the bubble balancer from Harbor Freight... the other one wont work... I tried. its for wheels with a less than 1.5? hub.

I?m hoping to get things put back together and fly in the next 2 days. I used proseal to attach the weights. 4 inboard and 4 outboard.

Hmmm...didn't think about the hub size. I'll probably just fabricate my own hub sleeve to make it fit.

So how do you get the beads into the tube?

Dave

Pull the schrader valve out and insert beads via a vynal tube pushed over the threaded portion of hte stem. Most bead kits come with a small bottle and tube for installation.

Larry

Last edited:
Pull the schrader valve out and insert beads via a vynal tube pushed over the threaded portion of hte stem. Most bead kits come with a small bottle and tube for installation.

Larry

Won't the beads eat up the innertube? That pressure on somew points on the the innertube has to do something to it.

Thanks Koupster, that's the same balancer I have so I should be good to go right out of the box.

And Gusmax! That dynamic balancer is really cool. I already have the same Dynavibe prop balancer. I might need to build a motor and drum to spin the tires. Looks like a fun project.

The Simple Way, but maybe not all that effective...

I've balanced the main wheels on our RV-6 by just jacking the wheel off the ground, loosening the axle nut and spinning the wheel to see where it stops. The heavy side will always go to the bottom, no? When it rocks back and forth, the heavy side is easy enough to figure out. I add stick-em-on weights until it stops randomly. This helps with the shake on landing but does not seem to eliminate it completely. We have wood on the struts and I've not experimented much with tire pressures, but I've read on this site that running the pressure too high will make the shake worse. As always, YMMV, of course!

BB's

Balancing beads do work.
We regular BB's from your kids BB gun in our tires 14" and larger. Our work vans have 16" tires and they work very good. Yes, you have to put BB's in during mounting. But I have found on 13" and smaller they do not seem to work as well. But, I have tire changing/balancer machines in my shop.
Yes I'm spoiled.
The ceramic beads are smaller and should work on the little ones. In through the valve stem. Never tried, But, will if My 6A ever has a problem. The short duration of rolling and high speed of landing may never let the beads settle to position. We do not use them on our race cars because of the high acceleration loads and radical driving. But they do work on rolling stock.
Most of the semi's use them. Makes tires last a lot longer. AND they will not hurt tubes or tube less tires.

How about the weights made in rubber patches like the manufactures use. It would take some time to assemble and balance and then take apart to install the weight and reassemble and check again, but having the weight located farther from the center would surely mean less weight to balance.
I don't have a source for the weights?...anybody know where to buy?

Back