What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight of another kind.

ty1295

Well Known Member
Today was the 2nd biggest day of my fairly new RV-9A. Approx 6 years ago I met my now wife. At almost the same time I purchased my RV-9A partially completed kit. As the airplane build progressed, so did our relationship. Back in Sept my airplane became airworthy, and somehow back in December I became Husband worthy.

After the first 40 hours, my now wife went from scared to fly, to asking to take a trip to Biloxi back in February, and then a few weeks ago waking up in the morning and telling me "I am going to get my pilot license"

Well today was her first official lesson. Thank you to my good friend and fellow RV Builder Dave.

https://youtu.be/sDTA2I1shzw

Pre-Flight.jpg

flight-path.png

RV-Grin.jpg

I'm staring at the bridgework in your hangar overhead and trying to figure out what you do with it all? Seems like it supports lights; is it sturdy enough to lift engines and such?

Last edited:
I'm staring at the bridgework in your hangar overhead and trying to figure out what you do with it all?

If you figure it out let me know. LOL

Actually I started to build it so I could put the nose of the airplane under it, prior to the wings going on assuming it would either be hot or cold and I could somewhat enclose it via tarps, etc while I was doing the engine install. What really happened was I was too anxious to finish the plane, and never finished the "temp" structure. So it does nothing now, except hold a couple LED lights and make people wonder what I was thinking. Need a wood structure?

GREAT!!

Congrats to you two as she starts her pilot training and hopefully you two have many years of flying experiences ahead. I believe one of the greatest blessings is to have a spouse that is also a pilot and enjoys traveling this great country in your RV. Have fun!

Congrats to Becca!

That young lady likes to learn. I bet she will be a CFI in 5 years. Good job guys good job.
The beat up prop looks nice at your wall btw :)

That is simply fantastic. The ROI on your build just went WAY up. I just so happen to know something about that :).

Tanya tells a story from long ago that goes something like "I decided if we were going to have a toy that cool, I was going to be able to fly it too..." I think she has put more hours on it this year than I have.

Advice: Step aside and let her progress and learn. (aka, know when to be quiet.)

The beat up prop looks nice at your wall btw :)
I keep waiting for it to tell stories, so far it has been rather quiet.

Advice: Step aside and let her progress and learn. (aka, know when to be quiet.)

Yep, yesterday she didn't even know I took the pictures. I tried to fade into the background while Dave spent probably 2 hours on the ground first before the flight.

Great news

That's great Jeff. I still need to get with Dave to do my BFR. Still having teething issues with my bird.

Rv9A with flying wife

My wife and I are up at KMQJ Indianapolis Regional (MT Comfort). Hope to meet up with you guys some time. Maybe we'll see you at Blackerby's Hangar 5 restaurant at KBAK Columbus Indiana.

My wife has a Decathlon and I have an RV7.

Judy and Boyd Birchler
The Joy of Flight Awaits!

Back