What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Cushion Installation

lr172

Well Known Member
I am currently working on seat upholstery on the 10. I see several of the bottom seat cushions are held via velcro-ed sheets of material that wrap around the round tubes and stick to the velcro on the bottom of the cloth seat support. I would like to follow this design, but it looks like I will have a problem securing the front velcro once the seat handle is installed (I need the cushion out in order to tighten the 4 nuts). With the handle installed and seat slide full forward, I can barely get my fingers under the seat to reach the bottom velcro. It seem like it may be possible to attache the front strap before seat handle installation, but it looks like the bottom cushion may not be able to be forced under the seat back cushion once the front strap is attached.

Wondering how others are dealing with this. My alternative is to use the velcro on the top of the cloth seat support and secure to velcro on cushion bottom.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
On our plane the cushion is velcroed down at the front, and to loosen the 4 bolts I have to hold the cushion up while loosening the hardware.

-Marc

On our plane the cushion is velcroed down at the front, and to loosen the 4 bolts I have to hold the cushion up while loosening the hardware.

-Marc

Thanks.

So, with the front velcro'ed down under the seat and the rear velcro released, you are able to slide the rear of the cushion out from under the seat back cushion to lift it up?

Larry

Larry,

Mine have velcro at the front and back. When removing the seat frame for annual, I pull the complete bottom out then remove the frame. The front velcro is close to the front of the frame and easy to get to with the seat fully forward.

Thanks.

So, with the front velcro'ed down under the seat and the rear velcro released, you are able to slide the rear of the cushion out from under the seat back cushion to lift it up?

Larry

It's been a while since I looked at it but as I recall, the seat bottom and seat back are one piece. I'll take some pics for you today.

-Marc

Larry,

Mine have velcro at the front and back. When removing the seat frame for annual, I pull the complete bottom out then remove the frame. The front velcro is close to the front of the frame and easy to get to with the seat fully forward.

Thanks. I tested this with an empty frame installed and with the seat forward to the stop (stop still installed), I am not able to get my fingers to the aft side of the velcro pad on frame bottom. I am concerned that I will not be able to pull the strap off, once installed. What am I missing here?

Appreciate the assistance.

Larry

There is an earlier thread on this subject. We tapped the seat side rails to eliminate the nuts holding the T handles. However, at the next annual I plan to make the seat back stops removable, so that the seat can be slid out with the T handles still on.

Back