What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please Critique My Electrical Plan

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
A PDF of my electrical plan can be found here. (Hit refresh until it loads if it say's forbidden)

This is my first pass at the basic electrical architecture for my -7.
The mission is Day VFR, IFR, very little IMC, maybe pass through a marine layer.

This electrical schematic is a variation of one being developed on the Aeroelectric list.

This is a single battery, dual alternator system with a clearance delivery feature.

My version uses a B&C BC410-H 20A back up alternator with their back up regulator. The back up alternator also comes in on the battery side of the master contractor.

What is the reason for running the alternator output to the battery side of the master instead of the load side?

I offer that a fault on the alternator output cable (that nice big fat one) is not isolable in your diagram. For smoke in the cabin it would be a good idea to have such things isolated by opening the master(s).

Side note - if you fly IFR I suggest you add the standard manufacture EFIS backup batteries. You will loose your radio and transponder but at least your will keep the wings level.

If you want to fly IFR with more confidence send me a note with your email address and I?ll provide some ideas.

Carl

What is the reason for running the alternator output to the battery side of the master instead of the load side?

I offer that a fault on the alternator output cable (that nice big fat one) is not isolable in your diagram. For smoke in the cabin it would be a good idea to have such things isolated by opening the master(s).

Carl

He does have a fusible link in the wire to the alternator.
In case of main contactor failure, battery will still be charged and can power essential bus.

However, in case of rectifier diodes in alternator partially shorts, the alternator will discharge the battery. A high-amp diode in series with the alternator B+ wire would prevent that. But then he'll need a electrolytic capacitor or small battery on the alternator side to smooth out noise to provide good regulation (if not already provided by regulator).

Finn

The key reason would be keeping the battery bus and navcom bus alive after opening the master contactor, without depleting the battery. It also keeps the standby alternator ballasted with the battery, which although not essential, is generally a good thing.

EDIT...I see Finn already got there.

This seems to be a -7, so the standby alternator, contactor, and battery are all forward of the firewall...they can't make smoke in the cabin. A ground fault in the standby's B-lead would open the circuit protection anyway. The CP is drawn in right above the master contactor.

It does need additional circuit protection of some sort in the wire to the battery bus, as that wire does pass through the firewall and into the panel area. I'd suggest an ANL or similar with post terminals, as the terminals would provide secure junctions where the plan is currently marked "fat wire tie point".

If possible, the battery bus and its feed, as well as the feed to the navcom bus, should be physically located away from other wiring and buses. Like with coronavirus, physical separation increases the odds of survival.

I know B&C shows a backup alternator field switch in their drawings, but I don't know why. The special regulator for backup has a 13V setpoint; it doesn't turn on until the primary alternator goes offline, and then it turns on automatically. The switch doesn't hurt, but on the other hand, parts not on the airplane never give trouble.

Pretty sure you want to move the backup alternator's field supply to the battery bus, so it can regulate with the master contactor open.

Last edited:
Main Alternator B+ is going where?

Assume you don't plan on paralleling both MAIN and AUX alternator and have a way to kill the main alternator, like pull CB.

Do you need a clearance delivery, just turn the master on. However I assume this has secondary advantage of a way to isolate an "essential bus" or clearance delivery bus with BAT master off in flight.

Hot battery bus has a lot on it, lights, clocks. There is a chance of draining the battery. I like the idea the MASTER turns everything off.

There are so many ways to wire a plane. Keep it as simple and "standard" and intuitive to operate as you can, not more complex.

Last edited:

Side note - if you fly IFR I suggest you add the standard manufacture EFIS backup batteries. You will loose your radio and transponder but at least your will keep the wings level.

If you want to fly IFR with more confidence send me a note with your email address and I’ll provide some ideas.

Carl

Contactor on the engine side of the firewall, so no smoke.

+1 on the back-up battery.

The key reason would be keeping the battery bus and navcom bus alive after opening the master contactor, without depleting the battery. It also keeps the standby alternator ballasted with the battery, which although not essential, is generally a good thing.

EDIT...I see Finn already got there.

This seems to be a -7, so the standby alternator, contactor, and battery are all forward of the firewall...they can't make smoke in the cabin. A ground fault in the standby's B-lead would open the circuit protection anyway. The CP is drawn in right above the master contactor.

It does need additional circuit protection of some sort in the wire to the battery bus, as that wire does pass through the firewall and into the panel area. I'd suggest an ANL or similar with post terminals, as the terminals would provide secure junctions where the plan is currently marked "fat wire tie point".

If possible, the battery bus and its feed, as well as the feed to the navcom bus, should be physically located away from other wiring and buses. Like with coronavirus, physical separation increases the odds of survival.

I know B&C shows a backup alternator field switch in their drawings, but I don't know why. The special regulator for backup has a 13V setpoint; it doesn't turn on until the primary alternator goes offline, and then it turns on automatically. The switch doesn't hurt, but on the other hand, parts not on the airplane never give trouble.

Pretty sure you want to move the backup alternator's field supply to the battery bus, so it can regulate with the master contactor open.

• Yes, a -7
  • What is an ANL?
  • Aux Alt field switch does come off battery bus. I guess B&C shows a field switch in their drawings to isolate the aux alt in the unlikely event one had a double alt problem.

Main Alternator B+ is going where?

Assume you don't plan on paralleling both MAIN and AUX alternator and have a way to kill the main alternator, like pull CB.

Do you need a clearance delivery, just turn the master on. However I assume this has secondary advantage of a way to isolate an "essential bus" or clearance delivery bus with BAT master off in flight.

Hot battery bus has a lot on it, lights, clocks. There is a chance of draining the battery. I like the idea the MASTER turns everything off.

There are so many ways to wire a plane. Keep it as simple and "standard" and intuitive to operate as you can, not more complex.

• Aux alt parallels the main alt but the aux alt regulator keeps it offline until the voltage drops below a selected value then gets excited and comes online...no input from the pilot. There are indicator lights on the panel to alert the pilot of the switch.
  • The battery bus is a artifact of copy and paste...no Hobbs, clock or dome light.

Last edited:
What is an ANL?

A big fuse.

https://bandc.com/product/anl-current-limiter-base-standard/

https://bandc.com/product/anl-current-limiters-35a-through-130a/

Aux Alt field switch does come off battery bus.

Ahh yes, brain fart. Main bus tap is a low volt sense, regulator terminals 3 and 5. Probably should move that tap to the battery bus, as page 4 of the installation manual says "If terminal 3 is not connected to power, the SB1B will not work". An open battery contactor could mean no power on the main bus.

I guess B&C shows a field switch in their drawings to isolate the aux alt in the unlikely event one had a double alt problem.

Perhaps it has some small power draw when parked, or won't shut down with power present. I dunno. I just like to know why things should be installed.

Maybe it would make more sense to have the MAIN alt operated by a switch and the AUX on a CB only. This way one could turn the MAIN alt off during preflight and check the AUX alt operates OK..

Maybe it would make more sense to have the MAIN alt operated by a switch and the AUX on a CB only. This way one could turn the MAIN alt off during preflight and check the AUX alt operates OK..

Main alternator is switched in the drawing, one of those progressive toggles allowing BATT or BATT+ALT.

Hey Mike, if you ask B&C why the ALT is switched, let us know too.

My feeling is that you are overthinking this. You have a lot of components here, all of which will take time and effort to bolt to the plane, and each of which could fail in flight.

As you know, there are two schools of thought - backup alternator and backup battery. I just completed an RV-7A and went with the backup battery plan, which seems substantially simpler to me.

I have backups plugged into my Dynon EFIS. If I lose the alternator, I have more than half an hour of power from the main battery, and then an hour more on each of the displays if need be. It's hard to think of a scenario where I couldn't declare an emergency and get onto the ground in half an hour, even in IMC.

You've also got a clearance delivery switch but no avionics master switch. Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks nonstandard from the perspective of a pilot coming from the certified world, and might be confusing for somebody transitioning into your plane. It's unclear on first look if there is additional avionics on some other switch, or if your clearance delivery is another name for the avionics master.

My primary EFIS turns on when I turn on the master because I need it right away before I turn on any other systems.

You show the avionics ground bus being tied to the main bus with 5x 20 AWG wires. I can't see any reason why you don't want both grounds tied tightly together. Why not make them the same bus? Or if they are physically distant, connect with 8AWG (or two 8AWG if you are concerned about redundancy)?

I don't understand the clearance delivery bus being tied to the main bus via a diode and 18 AWG wire. That looks like you have no way to turn off the clearance delivery bus because of the diode. And you have 18 AWG via the diode, but 14 AWG via the clearance delivery solenoid. I would think you'd want the same wire gauge on both, sized to the maximum current the clearance delivery bus would draw.

For your pMag switch, I can speak from experience that it is wise to choose a switch that is difficult to turn off. Pick one where you have to pull it out to flip down, or put a cage over it. I believe I bumped mine off in turbulence during phase 1 testing, which was one step in a failure chain I'm still diagnosing that led to an off-airport landing.

I'm happy to send you my schematics if they'd be useful.

Enjoy!

David

Main alternator is switched in the drawing, one of those progressive toggles allowing BATT or BATT+ALT.

Hey Mike, if you ask B&C why the ALT is switched, let us know too.

sorry I missed that.. Personally I would change the switch designation to BAT+ALT or something similar in the 3rd position.

...SNIP....Hey Mike, if you ask B&C why the ALT is switched, let us know too.

So I talked to B&C today. As far as the switch is concerned, B&C sees it as an option for personal preference as long as there is a pullable breaker installed. So the combinations would be: a regular breaker and a switch, a pullable breaker and a switch or just a pullable breaker. The key seems to be...have a way to disable the ALT. They specifically did not recommend a fuse and a switch combo (I forgot to ask them why).

....SNIP...You've also got a clearance delivery switch but no avionics master switch. Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks nonstandard from the perspective of a pilot coming from the certified world, and might be confusing for somebody transitioning into your plane. It's unclear on first look if there is additional avionics on some other switch, or if your clearance delivery is another name for the avionics master.

I'm a devotee of Bob Nuckolls Aerolectric Connection and have decided that a avionics master switch is not needed.

My primary EFIS turns on when I turn on the master because I need it right away before I turn on any other systems.

The clearance delivery bus will only energize the primary EFIS, Comm, Strobes and GNX375. I like the idea of being able to load flight plans, listing to weather or accept a clearance delivery without everything else energized.
The strobes are on there so I don't walk away and run the battery down.

You show the avionics ground bus being tied to the main bus with 5x 20 AWG wires. I can't see any reason why you don't want both grounds tied tightly together. Why not make them the same bus? Or if they are physically distant, connect with 8AWG (or two 8AWG if you are concerned about redundancy)?

Actually, I'm not sure...this is straight out of the Z-12 architecture...I'll have to query Bob N. about that.

I don't understand the clearance delivery bus being tied to the main bus via a diode and 18 AWG wire. That looks like you have no way to turn off the clearance delivery bus because of the diode. And you have 18 AWG via the diode, but 14 AWG via the clearance delivery solenoid. I would think you'd want the same wire gauge on both, sized to the maximum current the clearance delivery bus would draw.

Good catch on the 18AWG tie-in. Changed to 14AWG.
When the main bus is hot the clearance delivery bus is hot. So, if one uses the clearance delivery bus before start-up, the clearance switch can stay closed when closing the master switch or not (just an extra cycle on the EFIS and radios.) For sure there is the extra step of opening the master and clearance switches during shut-down. Thats why the strobes are on the same bus. (my current ride is a club plane and we leave the tail strobe switch on all the time so we don't walk away with the master on)

For your pMag switch, I can speak from experience that it is wise to choose a switch that is difficult to turn off. Pick one where you have to pull it out to flip down, or put a cage over it. I believe I bumped mine off in turbulence during phase 1 testing, which was one step in a failure chain I'm still diagnosing that led to an off-airport landing....SNIP

Totally agree about using protected switches for the Pmag (or possibly a SureFly mag replacement :D)

sorry I missed that.. Personally I would change the switch designation to BAT+ALT or something similar in the 3rd position.

I agree on the labelling...I just haven't come up with the right verbiage yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Done Schematic (click refresh until it loads)

So the original schematic I posted was a variation of a newer version of a Bob knuckolls architecture. After looking at my version Bob recommend I just use the original Z-12 architecture with the clearance delivery feature.

The one I posted originally had a engine bus for fully electrically dependent engines. That's why the AUX ALT was tied in directly to the battery and bypassed the battery contractor. Bob didn't think that I needed that, so the new schematic is almost a straight Z-12.

B&C recommended that I wire it up with two shunts to be able to monitor both alternators. I'm not sure exactly how this works. Bob's Z-12 schematic shows two shunts AND a Hall monitor. I'm going to have to do some more research on that.

Last edited:
My thoughts as a follower of Aeroelectric List / Bob Nuckols

My thoughts as a follower of Aeroelectric List / Bob Nuckols:

All wound field externally-regulated alternators stop producing when the field current is removed.

Attaching the backup alternator B lead to the battery is for the smoke in the cockpit scenario to keep a running alternator.

Perhaps the best place for the battery bus is forward of the firewall, and Bob shows one of his * notes on its feed meaning 6" or less. FAR 23.1361 would have 5 A breakers or fuses on wires out of the battery bus but Bob allows 7 A fuses because they are faster than breakers. Similarly, the clearance delivery bus relay should be forward of the firewall; the clearance delivery bus can be aft of the firewall because it is "protected" by the relay.

MIDI fuses ("mini" ANLs) have become available, they are smaller and can be used instead of ANLs. They are faster than ANLs though so take a look at their curves. Bob has blessed MIDIs; the smallet available is 23 A. There are also MANLs (another name for "mini" ANLs) but I personally wonder about the quality because I can't tell who makes them.

B&C regulators use a crew accessible breaker for the field because they have overvoltage protection that is subject to nuisance trips so are worth one try at a reset. When Bob shows a fuse on the field wire there is no OV protection.

Bob, who designed the B&C regulators, says the backup regulator with it's optional hall effect sensor is an unnecessary complication and cost designed for certified aircraft. BTW, if the hall effect sensor is added, it will flash a warning above 20 A despite the "20 A" alternator will deliver 32 A at cruise RPM. You can get the same effect of the alternator coming alive when the voltage drops by having two LR3Cs and turning the voltage down on one of them; I'm thinking 13.8 and 14.4 V. One reason for setting the standby alternator to a lower voltage is in case the battery is run-down you don't want to spend alternator capacity charging the battery versus keeping systems alive.

I believe Z-12 was designed for a certified aircraft. That's why it shows breakers directly on the main bus. Compare to Z-101 and others. (BTW Z-101 shows 12 awg from main bus to main alternator CB where it can be 18 awg.)

Two ammeter shunts are shown on dual alternator Z dwgs but that doesn't mean you have to install both. Voltage is a better indication of whether an alternator is supplying the current you need. Ammeters are good for diagnostics on the ground. Does your EMS support two shunts; maybe not, that's one reason Z-101 shows both B leads passing thru one hall effect sensor.

Alternator field switch: If it's not there and the engine is not running the field will draw current running down the battery and heating the alternator. I don't know exactly but maybe it will draw 2 A for the backup alternator and 4 A for the primary alternator.

Bob has renamed the endurance bus to clearance delivery on Z-101. Endurance bus is a term for systems with one alternator or with a small, 8 A, backup alternator. Bob want's to be able to energize the clearance delivery bus without closing the battery contactor which draws significant current (15 ohm coil). There are battery contactors that draw 1/4 or less the current of a legacy contactor but Bob has not adopted them.

Bob is in the one battery two alternator camp and is working on Z-101 as potential successor to Z-12 and Z-14 for OBAM and with EFI+I in mind.

Good comments John.

All wound field externally-regulated alternators stop producing when the field current is removed.

Attaching the backup alternator B lead to the battery is for the smoke in the cockpit scenario to keep a running alternator.

Mike's latest diagram moves the ALT B regulator's field, sense, and light connections to the main bus. I don't understand why.

Normal operation has ALT B ready to begin generating if main bus voltage falls below its regulator set point. So far so good.

Ok, enter the "classic smoke in the cockpit" response; open the master contactor. Given the progressive BATT-ALT master switch, the main bus is no longer connected to the battery and the primary alternator's field is open, so it also stops producing power. Main bus voltage drops. So how does that affect the ALT B system? Does it come on line in the very short time period while main bus voltage is falling to zero? Or lacking a field supply, does it just not come on line?

Note if it comes on line, it supplies power to the main bus...which is odd, given that the master contactor was opened for a reason.

Sure seems like the entire ALT B system should be a branch of the battery bus. It would still feed the main bus following ALT A failure, assuming normal ops, i.e. a closed master contactor. With an open contactor, it would be truly independent, powering the battery bus and avionics, all ballasted by the battery.

Alternator field switch: If it's not there and the engine is not running the field will draw current running down the battery and heating the alternator.

In which case an ALT-B on the battery bus would need a field switch. As an aside, it would not matter if that switch was on or off in normal flight. If on, ALT B would come on line automatically following ALT A failure or an opened contactor. If off, the pilot could fire it up at any time, as it always has a field power supply.

So is the thought that when there is smoke in the cockpit the AUX ALT stays on during the smoke event or everything off and then bring AUX ALT back on through the battery bus?

johnbright said:
Perhaps the best place for the battery bus is forward of the firewall, and Bob shows one of his * notes on its feed meaning 6" or less. FAR 23.1361 would have 5 A breakers or fuses on wires out of the battery bus but Bob allows 7 A fuses because they are faster than breakers. Similarly, the clearance delivery bus relay should be forward of the firewall; the clearance delivery bus can be aft of the firewall because it is "protected" by the relay.

So when we think of the battery bus being forward of the firewall, do we mean the fuse block also. (sorry if this is a dumb question)

johnbright said:
Bob, who designed the B&C regulators, says the backup regulator with it's optional hall effect sensor is an unnecessary complication and cost designed for certified aircraft. BTW, if the hall effect sensor is added, it will flash a warning above 20 A despite the "20 A" alternator will deliver 32 A at cruise RPM. You can get the same effect of the alternator coming alive when the voltage drops by having two LR3Cs and turning the voltage down on one of them; I'm thinking 13.8 and 14.4 V. One reason for setting the standby alternator to a lower voltage is in case the battery is run-down you don't want to spend alternator capacity charging the battery versus keeping systems alive.

B&C told me that I didn't need the Hall sensor on the back-up regulator and the cost is the same for the LR3 and SB1B...but really, Bob seems to think a generic Ford regulator would be just fine. I guess it just the flip of a switch instead of the AUX ALT coming on automatically.

johnbright said:
I believe Z-12 was designed for a certified aircraft. That's why it shows breakers directly on the main bus. Compare to Z-101 and others. (BTW Z-101 shows 12 awg from main bus to main alternator CB where it can be 18 awg.)

Totally missed that Z-12 had breakers instead of fuses...I couldn't see the forest for the trees :confused:
I'm into fuses where appropriate.

johnbright said:
Two ammeter shunts are shown on dual alternator Z dwgs but that doesn't mean you have to install both. Voltage is a better indication of whether an alternator is supplying the current you need. Ammeters are good for diagnostics on the ground. Does your EMS support two shunts; maybe not, that's one reason Z-101 shows both B leads passing thru one hall effect sensor.

My GSE 24 appears to support two shunts but really all I care about is that the AUX ALT comes on line and I have some sort of a indication. The less stuff the better. (say's the man who's stuffing his panel with gadgets :rolleyes:

johnbright said:
Alternator field switch: If it's not there and the engine is not running the field will draw current running down the battery and heating the alternator. I don't know exactly but maybe it will draw 2 A for the backup alternator and 4 A for the primary alternator.

This I did not know...very important info.

Last edited:
Mike's latest diagram moves the ALT B regulator's field, sense, and light connections to the main bus. I don't understand why.

I followed Bob N's Z-12 when I redid the schematic. I understand that with smoke in the cockpit opening the master would kill all energy production. Are we thinking that during a smoke event it would be acceptable to leave the AUX ALT online?

DanH said:
Ok, enter the "classic smoke in the cockpit" response; open the master contactor. Given the progressive BATT-ALT master switch, the main bus is no longer connected to the battery and the primary alternator's field is open, so it also stops producing power. Main bus voltage drops. So how does that affect the ALT B system? Does it come on line in the very short time period while main bus voltage is falling to zero? Or lacking a field supply, does it just not come on line?

I'm just guessing but I think that opening the master would nix any chance that the AUX ALT coming on line (if tied the the main bus)

DanH said:
Note if it comes on line, it supplies power to the main bus...which is odd, given that the master contactor was opened for a reason.

Sounds like a question for B&C...Monday. Aren't most AUX ALT tied to the main bus?

DanH said:
Sure seems like the entire ALT B system should be a branch of the battery bus. It would still feed the main bus following ALT A failure, assuming normal ops, i.e. a closed master contactor. With an open contactor, it would be truly independent, powering the battery bus and avionics, all ballasted by the battery.

Totally agree, I was influenced by Bob N. when he suggested I just used Z-12...which this new design basically is.

So with the AUX ALT totally on the battery bus:

• During smoke event, master and AUX ALT field switches OFF
  • At shutdown, master OFF and AUX ALT field switch OFF

DanH said:
In which case an ALT-B on the battery bus would need a field switch. As an aside, it would not matter if that switch was on or off in normal flight. If on, ALT B would come on line automatically following ALT A failure or an opened contactor. If off, the pilot could fire it up at any time, as it always has a field power supply.

I'm not sure I understand.
If the AUX ALT was tied to the battery bus AND the AUX ALT field switch was off/closed, isn't it true that the AUX ALT could not come on line if the main ALT failed? No energy to the AUX ALT field means no excitement, ergo no juice or have I just confused myself :confused:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Michael

d the Hall sensor on the back-up regulator and the cost is the same for the LR3 and SB1B...but really, Bob seems to think a generic Ford regulator would be just fine. I guess it just the flip of a switch instead of the AUX ALT coming on automatically.

My GSE 24 appears to support two shunts but really all I care about is that the AUX ALT comes on line and I have some sort of a indication.

Strongly recommend sticking with the B&C regulators - especially the SB regulator. When stuff happens having the SB alternator automatically pick up the load is well worth it. Less pilot action to fix something is preferred.

Current shunts are a left over from when cars had ammeters instead of voltmeters, but running fat wires to a 1940 instrument In the panel is not a great idea - so we have shunts. Back in the day it was cheap to build and ammeter and voltmeters were expensive. A voltmeter provides better system health information than the ammeter. Having both is a very marginal gain in information - for me it does not justify installing a shunt.

If you want to know current loads, do that with your bench power supply on the ground. The data will not change (or if it does the thing you are testing most likely already failed).

Carl

So with the AUX ALT totally on the battery bus...

Like this Mike:

MikeAltB.jpg

I'd put the battery bus on the cockpit side of the firewall, as shown by the purple line. There are only two high current wires passing through the firewall, one for each bus. If either high current wire or bus shorts to ground, the fault pops the respective ANL. Everything downstream of the battery bus and main bus has its own fault protection at the bus, so it's become real hard to get smoke in the cockpit...but if you do, sure, the safest choice is to switch off everything but the mags, find an airport, and sort it out on the ground.

If you build with physical separation between the main bus and battery bus systems (mostly separate firewall pass-throughs and wire routes), there's a pretty good chance you could inspect, then fly home on one of them.

Assume no shorts and popped ANLs. I'd venture an open contactor, contactor control wire, or master switch is the next most probable failure. With an open contactor, the primary alternator should stay live. If it didn't, ALT B (with switch on) would go live, charging the battery and powering the avionics.

I forgot to add it to the switch panel illustration, but there would be one more breaker for the ALT-B field. Operation is dead simple; normal flight is breakers in, all switches UP.

And I'm with Carl on current shunts. I find ammeters pretty useless in flight.

Z-101

I'm a fan of Z-101 because endurance is defined by fuel rather than battery capacity and alternator capacity is over 30A with master contactor open (Bob also has an 8A version of Z-101). This is especially important with EFI+I current requirements. Unlike Z14 with a diode OR'd engine bus, Z101 has one diode and one relay feeding the engine bus in case of a common-mod cause that could open both diodes. I spoke about Z101 recently on VAF here. If interested, my files are linked in my signature.

I learned a great deal recently on the AeroElectric List. There are some frustrations with fragmented threads which may be why I didn't have complete success using the search function on the site or Google. After subscribing several months ago I learned a lot in addition to what I have read in Bob's book over the years and recently when Z101 came out I adopted it for my EFI+I equipped RV-6A (not flying yet).

I'm following Bob's and FAR 23.1361 advice to keep power distribution wires that don't have a remote switch (relay or contactor) close to the source (battery) fused at 7.5A or less. This has implications in maintenance, smoke in the cockpit, and crash scenarios. Attaching the backup alternator B lead to the battery without a relay violates this... one can either justify this that with the fact vacuum pad alternators are close to the battery or one can add a B lead relay adjacent the battery. Automotive service manuals say first thing, disconnect the battery minus cable.

The B&C aux alternator controller was designed for TC aircraft and has a light that illuminates if the voltage drops due to primary alternator failure causing the aux alternator to come alive. But modern EMS systems will tell us the voltage has dropped. I found my Bob quote:
"If the bus voltage drops below the AUX controller set point, the AUX alternator wakes up and a SPECIAL
circuity within the controller senses this and illuminates an ALTERNATOR LOADED light. The stand-by versions of the alternator controller are not recommended (by Bob) for simple dual alternator installations where the auto-switch feature is not necessary . . . this was a 'bell-n-whistle' aimed primarily at the
STC market for TC aircraft that were receiving the pad driven, aux alternators.

... Bob"​

The 5x20awg wires from the firewall ground bus to the avionics ground bus are described in Chapter 18 of Aeroelectric Connection. Note 23 in the appendix, which is called out on the dwg adjacent the avionics ground bus, points to Chapter 18. In Bobspeak the (instrument) panel ground bus is the forest of tabs on the aft side of the firewall and the avionics ground bus is on the IP subpanel.

In a smoke in the cockpit situation the progressive switch for the main bus and alternator makes sense because to de-power the main bus you need to de-power the main alternator. Keep in mind Z101 puts the aux alternator on the battery.

With Z101 I plan to keep the aux alternator on in flight; if the main alt fails I will get an EMS message; if I open the master contactor I won't have to remember to turn the aux alternator on. I plan on a B&C "primary" regulator set at 13.8V for the aux alternator because I'm not being as frugal as Bob and I like the OV protection versus the "Ford" alternator. I plan to fly periodically with the main alternator off in order to stress-test the the backup alternator.

Yes the aux alternator will come alive with Z12 or Z101 if it is switched on after the main alternator fails because the battery is there to energize the field; In the case of Z12 the master contactor is still closed so the main bus sees the battery; in the case of Z101 the the aux alternator field is connected to the battery bus so it will come alive even with the battery contactor open.

I plan to fly normally with the engine bus relay on but periodically with it off in order to stress-test the diode feed from main bus to engine bus.

Keep in mind the AeroElectric Connection book is not updated as often as the drawings at http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdfs/

Changes I made to Z-101:
  • Put mini EFIS backup power, com 1, electric trim, defrost fans, and panel/interior/map lights on the engine bus with the idea if you kill the main you'll still those items.
  • Added electronic fuel injection and ignition components.
  • Used B&C LR3 regulator for battery alternator versus generic Ford.
  • Alternator B leads: Used MIDI current limiters versus fuselinks.
  • Aux alternator switch is progressive.
  • Engine bus powered from both ends so if one connection comes loose the bus is still powered
  • Diodes are schottky.

Last edited:
I'm following Bob's and FAR 23.1361 advice to keep power distribution wires that don't have a remote switch (relay or contactor) close to the source (battery) fused at 7.5A or less.....Attaching the backup alternator B lead to the battery without a relay violates this...

Even Bob doesn't follow that advice. Z101 attaches the backup alternator's 10 AWG B-lead to the battery, using a 14AWG fusible link for circuit protection.

Z101%20Snip.jpg

It is electrically the same as this:

Z101%20Snip%202.jpg

Note that Z101 uses the generic Ford regulator, not the nice B&C with OV protection. The sense terminal is simply jumpered to the field terminal (S to A), so sense and field see the same voltage, taken from the battery bus. Mike's earlier drawings incorporated a B&C regulator, and took sense (and a light) from the main bus while taking field from the battery bus. That won't work with the main contactor open. So, move the sense/light source to the battery bus, same as the field. While there, arrange the ANL so it provides circuit protection for both the alternator B-lead and the battery bus feed through the firewall. It's the same as Z101, but allows the use of the fancy regulator.

Previous post...
Z101%20Snip%203.jpg

Slightly different subject...the addition of circuit protection between the contactor and the main bus. There's none in Z101. The argument seems to be that it's protected by the presence of the master contactor...just open the contactor if that supply wire or the main bus is shorted to ground.

Yep, old school, and it works...but it goes against human nature. When the spit hits the fan, I submit that most GA pilots go all deer-in-the-headlights, and hesitate to open the master. It's a natural aversion to turning off important things in flight. With circuit protection, a shorted bus is shut down automatically, no pilot participation required...and with this system it doesn't shortchange anything to do so. The avionics remain live, the ignitions still ignite, etc.

BTW, for purposes of diagramming at this level, I don't care if I draw in an ANL, a MIDI, a fusible link, or a paper clip, as long as the final choice is reliable in normal use, and burns open at the right amps when things go abnormal.

I'm a fan of Z-101 because endurance is fuel range (battery capacity is not a factor) and alternator capacity is over 30A with master contactor open (Bob also has an 8A version of Z-101). This is especially important with EFI+I current requirements. I spoke about Z-101 recently on VAF here. If interested, my files are linked in my signature. Full disclosure... Bob Nuckols calls Z-101 Preliminary at this time.

I learned a great deal recently on the AeroElectric List. There are some frustrations with fragmented threads which may be why I didn't have complete success using the search function on the site or Google. After subscribing several months ago I learned a lot in addition to what I have read in Bob's book over the years and recently when Z-101 came out I adopted it for my EFI+I equipped RV-6A (not flying yet). Beware, no love for ECBs on AEL.

I'm following Bob's and FAR 23.1361 advice to keep power distribution wires that don't have a remote switch (relay or contactor) close to the source (battery) fused at 7.5A or less. This has implications in maintenance, smoke in the cockpit, and crash scenarios. Attaching the backup alternator B lead to the battery without a relay violates this... one can either justify this that with vacuum pad alternators the alternator is close to the battery or one can add a B lead relay adjacent the battery. Automotive service manuals say first thing, disconnect the battery minus cable.

When I say battery bus I mean the fuse block; fuse block and bus are synonyms in this case.

The B&C aux alternator controller was designed for TC aircraft and has a light that illuminates if the voltage drops due to primary alternator failure causing the aux alternator to come alive. But modern EMS systems will tell us the voltage has dropped. I found my Bob quote:
"If the bus voltage drops below the AUX controller set point, the AUX alternator wakes up and a SPECIAL
circuity within the controller senses this and illuminates an ALTERNATOR LOADED light. The stand-by versions of the alternator controller are not recommended for simple dual alternator installations where the auto-switch feature is not necessary . . . this was a 'bell-n-whistle' aimed primarily at the
STC market for TC aircraft that were receiving the pad driven, aux alternators.

... Bob
"​

The 5x20awg wires from the firewall ground bus to the avionics ground bus are described in Chapter 18 of Aeroelectric Connection. Note 23 in the appendix, which is called out on the dwg adjacent the avionics ground bus, points to Chapter 18. In Bobspeak the (instrument) panel ground bus is the forest of tabs on the aft side of the firewall and the avionics ground bus is on the IP subpanel.

In a smoke in the cockpit situation the progressive switch for the main bus and alternator makes sense because to de-power the main bus you need to de-power the main alternator. If the aux alternator is on the main bus and switched on I image it would come alive in time to keep itself powered but don't quote me on that but it doesn't matter because your gonna want it off because you want the main bus cold. Keep in mind Z-101 puts the aux alternator on the battery.

With Z-101 I plan to keep the aux alternator on in flight; if the main alt fails I will get an EMS message; if I open the master contactor I won't have to remember to turn the aux alternator on. If using the Ford aux regulator I'm not sure what's wrong with keeping it on but I believe there are low-cost adjustable automotive regulators. I plan on a B&C "primary" regulator set at 13.8V for the aux alternator because I'm not being as frugal as Bob and I like the OV protection.

Yes the aux alternator will come alive with Z-12 or Z-101 if it is switched on after the main alternator fails because the battery is there to energize the field; I the case of Z-12 the master contactor is still closed so the main bus sees the battery; in the case of Z-101 the the aux alternator field is connected to the battery bus so it will come alive even with the battery contactor open.

Keep in mind the AeroElectric Connection book is not updated as often as the drawings at http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdfs/

Changes I made to Z-101:
  • Renamed clearance delivery bus to avionics bus and fed it from opposite ends from battery bus and main bus versus using a single post on the bus.
  • Put com 1 on the engine bus with the idea if you kill both the main and avionics busses, you?ll still have a radio.
  • Added electronic fuel injection and ignition components.
  • Added Crowbar Test buttons to main and battery regulators for annual.
  • Used B&C LR3C regulator for battery alternator versus generic Ford.
  • Alternator B leads: Used MIDI current limiters versus fuselinks.
  • Aux alternator switch is progressive.
  • I show an optional aux bus B lead relay.
  • Battery contactor is a low coil current version.
  • Diodes are schottky.

Thanks for the great response John.

Thanks for the clarification on the battery bus...got it.

So it looks like Bob doesn't think the B&C standby regulator is necessary on a non TC aircraft.
You mentioned using the LR3C as a back up regulator and adjusting the set point a little lower so it will bring on the AUX ALT automatically. Is there a reason not to use the B&C SB1B standby regulator? Same price...

Just a technical point (excuse my ignorance). If voltage indication to the EMS is all we need (I'm OK with that). How does that voltage info get to the EMS? (I'm sure this is a head slapper)

I went back and re-read chapter 18 about the avionics ground bus being a female D-sub connector. This info didn't sink in on the first read but it's brilliant! I've already pencilled this in.

Thanks again for helping me get through this steep learning curve.

Even Bob doesn't follow that advice. Z101 attaches the backup alternator's 10 AWG B-lead to the battery, using a 14AWG fusible link for circuit protection.

Z101%20Snip.jpg

It is electrically the same as this:

Z101%20Snip%202.jpg

Note that Z101 uses the generic Ford regulator, not the nice B&C with OV protection. The sense terminal is simply jumpered to the field terminal (S to A), so sense and field see the same voltage, taken from the battery bus. Mike's earlier drawings incorporated a B&C regulator, and took sense (and a light) from the main bus while taking field from the battery bus. That won't work with the main contactor open. So, move the sense/light source to the battery bus, same as the field. While there, arrange the ANL so it provides circuit protection for both the alternator B-lead and the battery bus feed through the firewall. It's the same as Z101, but allows the use of the fancy regulator.

Previous post...
Z101%20Snip%203.jpg

Slightly different subject...the addition of circuit protection between the contactor and the main bus. There's none in Z101. The argument seems to be that it's protected by the presence of the master contactor...just open the contactor if that supply wire or the main bus is shorted to ground.

Yep, old school, and it works...but it goes against human nature. When the spit hits the fan, I submit that most GA pilots go all deer-in-the-headlights, and hesitate to open the master. It's a natural aversion to turning off important things in flight. With circuit protection, a shorted bus is shut down automatically, no pilot participation required...and with this system it doesn't shortchange anything to do so. The avionics remain live, the ignitions still ignite, etc.

BTW, for purposes of diagramming at this level, I don't care if I draw in an ANL, a MIDI, a fusible link, or a paper clip, as long as the final choice is reliable in normal use, and burns open at the right amps when things go abnormal.

Great thoughts on the ANL to protect the main and battery buses. How would one size them? Now that I know what an ANL is :rolleyes:, I've spent some time looking at ANL holders at B&C.

Thanks for all the help
icon14.gif

... You mentioned using the LR3C as a back up regulator and adjusting the set point a little lower so it will bring on the AUX ALT automatically. Is there a reason not to use the B&C SB1B standby regulator? Same price...

The LR3C:
  • Flashes a light, if you install the light, if the voltage falls to "typically between 12.5 and 13 volts".
  • The light would not illuminate if the standby alternator was online because the voltage would not fall that far.
  • Has provision for a battery temperature sensor that is not used if the battery is in the engine or passenger compartment.
  • Has provision for a crowbar OV test button.
The SB1B:
  • Illuminates a light, if you install the light, if the bus voltage falls and the standby alternator comes alive.
  • The light flashes above 20A if you install the optional hall effect current sensor but you may not want this to happen since the smaller "20A" B&C alternator puts out a little over 30A at cruise RPM.

Now that I think of it, it seems nice to have the SB1B with its "Standy Alt On" panel light feature since we don't need the battery temperature sensor feature of the LR3C.

P.S. The installation manuals say not to use an LED for the light but if you want to you can do this.

P.P.S. Bob Nuckolls says the standby alternator should be set higher than the 13.0V B&C mentions in the install manual. Bob suggests 13.5 V.

... If voltage indication to the EMS is all we need (I'm OK with that). How does that voltage info get to the EMS?...

Any EMS would have a voltmeter input. I'm using Dynon Skyview; it has two voltmeters. In the Skyview installation manual the key words to search for are:
  • "Voltmeter Inputs" where it tells you what pins to connect to.
  • "Manual EMS Sensor Settings", then the example happens to be a voltmeter.

Last edited:
Great thoughts on the ANL to protect the main and battery buses. How would one size them?

The usual. Max expected current plus some, protecting a wire which will carry a little more.

Made a sloppy error on the previous drawing. This one corrected. Eliminates the fusible link in the primary alternator B lead, at the start contactor in Z101. Which is not to say I have something against fusible links. I don't; they are compact and reliable, and particularly useful in small wires as an inline fuse. For larger amps, I'd rather have the ANL or similar, and the post mounting base is real handy for large junction terminations.

Z101%20Snip%203%20Rev1.jpg

Primary power block diagram. It's a simple system really. Make a short-and-open list for the numbered wiring, check for critical failure modes.

Block%20Dia.jpg

Last edited:
Z-12 is at rev N dated 05/03/2020

I'm still a fan of Z-101 but FYI Z-12 was revised to rev N on 05/03/2020. Find it here.

Compared to rev M:
  • Clearance delivery bus is remotely switched and fed by a fuselink versus a 7.5A fuse.
  • Dual alternator B lead shunts are replaced with a single hall effect sensor.
  • Main alternator ANL is replaced with a fusible link.
  • No CBs on the main bus.
  • Mag and EI are not shown.

Battery bus and clearance delivery bus are optional, that's why they are in color.
You can delete the hall effect sensor for the aux alternator regulator.
Well, you can do anything you want!

Simplify-Simplify And Standardize

This has been a real learning experience coming up with an electrical architecture for my -7.

Here are some of the things that have driven me to this current design.

1. It dawned on me - I have a 6ah back-up battery for the important stuff
    icon3.gif

2. I don't like the expense, weight and complexity of the AUX ALT
  3. I like the idea of a clearance delivery bus.
  4. I respect the idea...but I like an avionics bus :D
  5. I rediscovered the adage - build it for you ;)

So, here's my latest attempt: DWG F103

Last edited:
This has been a real learning experience coming up with an electrical architecture for my -7.

Here are some of the things that have driven me to this current design.

1. It dawned on me - I have a 6ah back-up battery for the important stuff
    icon3.gif

2. I don't like the expense, weight and complexity of the AUX ALT
  3. I like the idea of a clearance delivery bus.
  4. I respect the idea...but I like an avionics bus :D
  5. I rediscovered the adage - build it for you ;)

So, here's my latest attempt: DWG F103

PS: I forgot the ANL to the battery bus but it will be there.

What is the function of the 10amp breaker feeding the avionics bus? This places a breaker in series with the the avionics load breakers risking a single fault on the avionics buss taking down the entire buss. If you are worried about a unprotected wire run (which you have many), consider bumping this 10amp breaker to 20 or 25. That way you have some confidence the downstream breakers will pop first on a fault.

The battery bus should be ?the last line of defense? while flying. For example external power depended ignitions and such. Strobes and boost pumps do not meet that criteria. For pMags and standard fuel systems (carb or fuel injected) there is no need for a battery bus.

Now consider two avionics busses - this provides for your clearance deliver objective and well as capability to isolate a fault and still have half of your panel (as in Comm1 + EFIS 1, Comm 2 + EFIS 2). Power these busses from the output of the master relay, not from the main buss. I note your TCW backup battery. You could use that to power one of the avionics busses for your clearance deliver function. It would also be a good way to verify it really works before you have a hard need when flying.

The #6 wire feeding your main buss is way too big for those loads. Save some weight.
Carl

I long for the day, two relays (Bat/Start), one Alt, one battery, one buss. Most Piper and Cessna and Beech are flying like this IFR everyday. Of course they have vacuum pumps for flight instruments and mags.

Simplify is my suggestion..... mine is base-line, dirt-simple, standard AC electrical... The electronic ignition has it's own back up bat, as does the EFIS. I feel pretty safe.... On a real long trip I might carry a spare ND IR alternator to change on the ground...

Last edited:
What is the function of the 10amp breaker feeding the avionics bus? This places a breaker in series with the the avionics load breakers risking a single fault on the avionics buss taking down the entire buss. If you are worried about a unprotected wire run (which you have many), consider bumping this 10amp breaker to 20 or 25. That way you have some confidence the downstream breakers will pop first on a fault.

I'm glad you brought up the 10A breaker for the avionics bus. I have seen this on others wiring architecture but was unsure if I needed it.

The battery bus should be ?the last line of defense? while flying. For example external power depended ignitions and such. Strobes and boost pumps do not meet that criteria. For pMags and standard fuel systems (carb or fuel injected) there is no need for a battery bus.

The battery bus has the pmag on there because I may change that to a Surefly/Lycoming electronic ignition (only one). I am unsure of the AUX fuel pump location. Having it on the battery bus seemed correct but...

The clearance delivery bus is shown as Bob Nuckolls has designed it. My desire for it, is to be able to fire up the Primary EFIS and GPS navigator to download flight plans. All before starting the engine. I suppose in practice if the devices that are on the clearance delivery bus were on the main buss and the rest of the GDUs/LRUs were on the avionics bus, there would be about the same current draw with the master on compared to the clearance delivery bus...What I'm trying to say is with a avionics bus...maybe I don't need the clearance delivery bus :eek:

Now consider two avionics busses - this provides for your clearance deliver objective and well as capability to isolate a fault and still have half of your panel (as in Comm1 + EFIS 1, Comm 2 + EFIS 2). Power these busses from the output of the master relay, not from the main buss. I note your TCW backup battery. You could use that to power one of the avionics busses for your clearance deliver function. It would also be a good way to verify it really works before you have a hard need when flying.

I think I just convinced myself to move everything from the clearance delivery bus to the main bus. Because really, what's drawing power on the main bus, not much when all the switches are off (although I understand the ALT field does draw a bit)

I do like the idea of maybe having the TCW IBBS battery power up the items originally on the clearance delivery bus, we'll have to see about that. The comm has only one power in pin as far as I can see.

The #6 wire feeding your main buss is way too big for those loads. Save some weight.
Carl
The 6AWG wire to the main bus was a leftover from the original Z-12 drawing I started from. After you're mentioning it, I looked at the conductor chart from 43.13 and I can downsize it significantly.

I long for the day, two relays (Bat/Start), one Alt, one battery, buss. Most Piper and Cessna and Beech are flying like this IFR everyday. Of course they have vacuum pumps for flight instruments and mags.

Simplify is my suggestion..... mine is base-line, dirt-simple, standard AC electrical... The electronic ignition has it's own back-up battery as does the EFIS. I feel pretty safe.... On a real long trip I might carry a spare ND IR alternator to change on the ground.....

Isn't that the truth :rolleyes:

I remember launching into the soup out of Sitka, Alaska in a C-180 back in the day. Absolutely basic electrical/vacuum system, basic IFR configuration. Wow have things changed :D

SNIP

The battery bus has the pmag on there because I may change that to a Surefly/Lycoming electronic ignition (only one). SNIP

If you go with the Surefly your design, in my opinion, falls short. While other may be ok with a ship power dependent ignition and a mag, I'm not. I would require a dedicated power source for that ignition.

Carl (800+ happy hours flying behind dual pMags)

If you go with the Surefly your design, in my opinion, falls short. While other may be ok with a ship power dependent ignition and a mag, I'm not. I would require a dedicated power source for that ignition.

Carl (800+ happy hours flying behind dual pMags)

When I spoke to the Surefly rep, I think he told me that on the certified aircraft, one Surefly did not require a redundant electrical system but two Surefly's did.

I definitely don't what to introduce the complexity of a redundant electrical system.

New Version

So, here's my latest version: DWG F104

EDIT: Unfortunately I overwrote my last version in post #28. Fixed thanks to John Bright.

This version is close to finished.

I replaced the avionics relay with an appropriately rated switch (5A draw).

The rest was cleaning up the drawing and adding all the fuses.

All comments welcome, either
icon14.gif
or
icon13.gif

Last edited:

Hey, No pro at this but the way I read your schematic, you have all the the avionic on the avionics master. If I understand it correctly that you wont be able to start the engine and see oil pressure come up unless you start the engine with everything powered up. I read somewhere in the G3x manual to just put the gea24, ADHARS and one PFD on while the engine starts and to start the rest once the fires are lit. What do you think?

Hey, No pro at this but the way I read your schematic, you have all the the avionic on the avionics master. If I understand it correctly that you wont be able to start the engine and see oil pressure come up unless you start the engine with everything powered up. I read somewhere in the G3x manual to just put the gea24, ADHARS and one PFD on while the engine starts and to start the rest once the fires are lit. What do you think?

So this Clearance Delivery Bus has the Primary EFIS, Com and GPS on it.

You can use the clearance delivery bus to listen to ADIS, load flight plan, get a IFR clearance etc... The advantage is, this bus has only a 3.2 amp draw, so saves the battery.

But if you don't want/need to use the CD bus, close the master, the Clearance Delivery Bus is powered through the diode.

The bottom line is anytime the main bus is powered up, so is the Clearance delivery Bus...sot he primary EFIS is on anytime the main bus has juice.

The DC power switches are grouped together to simplify shutting down...Shut down protocol, ALL DC POWER SWITCHES OFF.

When the BATT BUS blows the MIDI fuse for some reason, you would need to backfeed the BATT BUS through the CD switch to feed your Surefly.

When the BATT BUS blows the MIDI fuse for some reason, you would need to backfeed the BATT BUS through the CD switch to feed your Surefly.

Great catch
icon14.gif

In Bob Nuckolls recently released Z101A drawing (where the idea for the CD buss came from) he separates the battery bus from the CD bus. The only reason I have a battery bus is to feed the SureFly ignition.

(20 minutes later ;)) I just spoke to SureFly and they said the way to wire their mag is to come directly off the battery with an inline fuse to the mag.

I'm going to eliminate the battery bus and feed the CD bus through an inline 15A fuse. and feed the CD bus though a separate inline fuse.

So, here's my latest attempt: DWG F105

everyone talks about this, however, the likelihood of your engine having good oil pressure at the last shutdown and NOT having good oil pressure on the next startup are pretty remote. Losing an oil pump or developing a catastrophic oil leak are not typically things that happen when the engine is not running.

Yes, this is critical for a first start after major engine work and possibly an oil change if you are prone to forgetting to refill the oil or put on a new filter.

Just food for thought and one man's opinion.

Larry

Last edited:
everyone talks about this, however, the likelihood of your engine having good oil pressure at the last shutdown and NOT having good oil pressure on the next startup are pretty remote. Losing an oil pump or developing a catastrophic oil leak are not typically things that happen when the engine is not running.

Yes, this is critical for a first start after major engine work and possibly an oil change if you are prone to forgetting to refill the oil or put on a new filter.

Just food for thought and one man's opinion.

Larry

If you give my electrical architecture a good look, you'll see that the Primary EFIS comes on with the main bus as well as the clearance delivery bus. So no worries about not seeing the oil pressure.

...here's my latest attempt: DWG F105[/B][/URL][/SIZE]

My thoughts:
  • You don't need a battery bus except in case you want to add items in the future.
  • The battery bus does not need an ANL or fuse in its feeder because the feeder is short.
  • A MIDI 23 is more robust than the downstream fuses on the engine bus.
  • The SureFly is redundant to the magneto.
  • Z-101 shows feeds to battery bus and engine bus unprotected because they are short.
  • Z-101 shows the feed from battery to CL bus switched with a relay to meet FAR 23.1361. Bob Nuckolls uses a relay in cases where the feeder's fuse is over 7.5A.
  • Surefly will be your engine start magneto. Conventionally on the left. Surefly retards timing for start and provides high energy spark.
  • Assuming your magneto is not impulse coupled, consider locking it out for start as described in options A, B, and C here.

John's comments all valid. May I add a practical note regarding short wire runs eliminating the need for circuit protection, here an ANL for the battery bus?

ANL or no ANL obviously depends on the installed bus location. If the battery bus feeds under-cowl loads only, then installing it next to the battery with no ANL makes sense. Each load extending from it will need circuit protection, so the next choice is what form it will take. I'd suggest either a fuse panel with weather cover, or fusible links, as the under-cowl environment doesn't strike me as a great place for CB's.

However, battery bus feeds generally run all kinds of things. in which case I'd suggest the physical bus be located in the cockpit, in a manner similar to all the other circuit protection devices. If the battery and master contactor are firewall forward and the bus is in the cockpit, the connecting cable needs an ANL, or link, or some other kind of circuit protection, even if less than six inches. Fire, crash, abuse, age, or vibration can short the cable where it passes through the firewall, in particular when given some poor routing, or mixing Bowdens with electrical.

Firewall%20Pass-through.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts:
  • You don't need a battery bus except in case you want to add items in the future.
  • The battery bus does not need an ANL or fuse in its feeder because the feeder is short.
  • A MIDI 23 is more robust than the downstream fuses on the engine bus.
  • The SureFly is redundant to the magneto.
  • Z-101 shows feeds to battery bus and engine bus unprotected because they are short.
  • Z-101 shows the feed from battery to CL bus switched with a relay to meet FAR 23.1361. Bob Nuckolls uses a relay in cases where the feeder's fuse is over 7.5A.
  • Surefly will be your engine start magneto. Conventionally on the left. Surefly retards timing for start and provides high energy spark.
  • Assuming your magneto is not impulse coupled, consider locking it out for start as described in options A, B, and C here.

John's comments all valid. May I add a practical note regarding short wire runs eliminating the need for circuit protection, here an ANL for the battery bus?

ANL or no ANL obviously depends on the installed bus location. If the battery bus feeds under-cowl loads only, then installing it next to the battery with no ANL makes sense. Each load extending from it will need circuit protection, so the next choice is what form it will take. I'd suggest either a fuse panel with weather cover, or fusible links, as the under-cowl environment doesn't strike me as a great place for CB's.

However, battery bus feeds generally run all kinds of things. in which case I'd suggest the physical bus be located in the cockpit, in a manner similar to all the other circuit protection devices. If the battery and master contactor are firewall forward and the bus is in the cockpit, the connecting cable needs an ANL, or link, or some other kind of circuit protection, even if less than six inches. Fire, crash, abuse, age, or vibration can short the cable where it passes through the firewall, in particular when given some poor routing, or mixing Bowdens with electrical.

My Final iteration DWG F105 ends up not having a battery bus.

Somewhere along the line Bob N. suggested a I put an inline fuse for the clearance delivery bus since it drew 3.2 amps. My thinking on the CD bus relay was similar. Since the CD bus amp draw was so low....simplify.

The SureFly will indeed be on the left side...I'll change that on the drawing. And thank you for the B.N. article on mag switches.

If you give my electrical architecture a good look, you'll see that the Primary EFIS comes on with the main bus as well as the clearance delivery bus. So no worries about not seeing the oil pressure.

I like it a lot better than original. Much more smple, lighter better operationally. But you could do better.

I don't have an issue with clearance delivery switch or avionics switch but Why? It's not necessary and adds two switches and a diode. You can just turn the master master on, start engine, get ATIS and clearance with engine running. Unless clearance void time that takes 1 minute. You are not a Jet at JFK with a pushback time or frequency to monitor before engine start. Avionics can be in during engine start.

However if you want to use com radio w/o starting turn master on get you info, turn master off. The battery can take 1 minute energizing the master relay an bus. I have a handheld battery powered transceiver or smart phone with flight planning software to get weather, make and file a flight plan.

No commercial jet I have flown has clearance delivery or avionics switches. It's more switches and wiring nodes to fail and adds weight, This all could be eliminated. If you want to shed load turn individual items off, or have a non essential bus with CB you can manually pull/trip that would do it.

It takes e switches to power your plane up. Also switches are single point failure items.

Last edited:
I like it a lot better than original. Much more smple, lighter better operationally. But you could do better.

I don't have an issue with clearance delivery switch or avionics switch but Why? It's not necessary and adds two switches and a diode. You can just turn the master master on, start engine, get ATIS and clearance with engine running. Unless clearance void time that takes 1 minute. You are not a Jet at JFK with a pushback time or frequency to monitor before engine start. Avionics can be in during engine start.

However if you want to use com radio w/o starting turn master on get you info, turn master off. The battery can take 1 minute energizing the master relay an bus. I have a handheld battery powered transceiver or smart phone with flight planning software to get weather, make and file a flight plan.

No commercial jet I have flown has clearance delivery or avionics switches. It's more switches and wiring nodes to fail and adds weight, This all could be eliminated. If you want to shed load turn individual items off, or have a non essential bus with CB you can manually pull/trip that would do it.

It takes e switches to power your plane up. Also switches are single point failure items.

I hear you
icon14.gif

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the want/need for the clearance delivery bus as well as the avionics bus. Really, there's no need for either. I guess it comes down to want.

My thinking with CD bus is the ability to sit there drawing only 3.2 amps while I fiddle with the EFIS and GPS downloading or making up flight plans and not worrying about draining the battery. I'm not a professional pilot (anymore) and It's been my experience in a club plane with a GTN 650 that I aways feel rushed with the engine running and trying to make up a flight plan. Now that being said, one could make a good argument that if I get all my fiddling done using the CD bus, I should be ready to go by the time I flip the master and start the engine and this would eliminate the need for the avionics bus. Someone else said if I eliminate the avionics bus, a future owner might be confused on what avionics were on what bus (not sure that's a valid concern).

The other reason I rationalized the avionics bus is it keeps 5 amps off the system for engine start, more juice for starting. Also, with the avionics bus gone, I would want to feed the #2 MFD with stay alive power from the GAD-27 to prevent possible reboots during engine starts. The rest are fed by the TCW IBBS and won't reboot.

As far as single points of failure go, I plan on flying IFR just not much IMC and there is so much more redundancy built into this system compared to the old days I'm not worried about a switch failure. If a CD switch fails, no consequences as CD bus fed from main bus. If an avionics switch fails, primary EFIS, comm and GPS fed from the CD and main bus, plus IBBS feeds most LRUs. Plenty of time to get on the ground.

Having no clearance delivery or avionics bus is definitely simpler, lighter and doable.

Just not sure that's what I want.

PS-the big boys don't have a CD bus BUT they are tied into shore power and don't worry about battery depletion :rolleyes:

Both of your GSU-25?s are sitting next to each other on behind multiple switches and a little circuit breaker. What is your plan when there is a short on that bus that pops that breaker or damages that switch?

Both of your GSU-25?s are sitting next to each other on behind multiple switches and a little circuit breaker. What is your plan when there is a short on that bus that pops that breaker or damages that switch?

The #1 GSU-25 is also fed from the TCW IBBS backup battery.

• If the fuse feeding the #1 GSU-25 pops, its now on battery power and the #2 GSU-25 carries on.
  • If the avionics switch goes bad, the #1 GSU-25 is on battery power and carries on and the #2 GSU-25 is off line.

Of the LRUs on the avionics bus, the GMU-11 magnetometer, #1 MFD, #1 GSU-25, the GAD-29 GPS interface and both GSA-28 autopilot servos are on battery power if the avionics switch goes south.

Back