What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check list in spiral bound

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Is there anyone who would take your check list put it into format, laminate the pages and put a spiral bound on it? I have pages of paper and when there wrinkled I just print new ones. Want to be done with that. I often thought the check list ( part one) should be standard for each model then part two would be specific to your N umber.
Ron RV9A

I color coded and laminated mine, makes it easy to find the section you need:

oFt.jpg

I used one of these: https://www.flyboys.com/fb2202.html

8-x5-flight-crew-checklist-pages-8.jpg

My POH is a Word doc and I simply print it out at 65% original size and slip 2 pages in back to back. Making changes or adding/Deleting info or pages is dirt simple and doesn't affect the rest of the checklists.

Last edited:
An idea I've considered is making pull-out cards like on the old HP analyzers.
Slide out from under the panel.
Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/331021334751?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=331021334751&targetid=596465712668&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9012317&poi=&campaignid=6470719340&mkgroupid=77931583832&rlsatarget=pla-596465712668&abcId=1140476&merchantid=7875584&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3uvHq6DW5QIVh5-fCh1VGwKGEAQYBCABEgK44fD_BwE

Might even use laser engraved black anodized aluminum or a few FrontPanel Express engraved panels. Harder to modify though!

I used one of these: https://www.flyboys.com/fb2202.html

8-x5-flight-crew-checklist-pages-8.jpg

My POH is a Word doc and I simply print it out at 65% original size and slip 2 pages in back to back. Making changes or adding/Deleting info or pages is dirt simple and doesn't affect the rest of the checklists.

This is what I use. Have been using this kind of binder for years. For various airplanes. I also put frequently used approach plates towards the back in extra
Plastics. Now that I am paperless they sit on the shelf.

Kinkos printing

Yep. Any FedEx printing place can laminate, punch and spiral bind. One can assume any other printing place can also perform the process.
Have you considered using an old 1" jepp binder? They are a dime a dozen out there now that everybody has gone to electric charts.

Both Office Max and Staples will make spiral bound presentation books. On my quick search it looks like officemax will laminate the individual pages but may only be letter size paper. Staples will do many different sizes, but I did not see an option to laminate every page. Other local print shops can probably also do what you are looking for.

Here is the links to the staples and officemax services
https://www.officedepot.com/configurator/pod/#/product/wireBoundBook
https://www.staples.com/sbd/content/copyandprint/presentations.html

I've identified maybe five different styles of checklists (including the airline variations). In the airlines, there's one style that I call the everything including the kitchen sink, and it is (was?) philosophically favored by the scandinavian airlines, among others. To my surprise, when I first read about it, an overly complete checklist can actually be detrimental to cockpit performance.

So if we get down to fundamentals, what does a checklist do? First, and this is not obvious, it is a concrete step indicating to the pilot a transition from one phase of flight to the next: after takeoff to cruise, cruise to landing, etc. Secondly, it reduces the odds of erroneous or undesirable control and switch positions for that next phase of flight.

Here's something for thought -- what controls absolutely must be correctly positioned for each phase of flight? Or to put it another way, what can you absolutely not afford to have wrong?
* Fuel pump, good form as a preventative measure, of course, but not absolutely necessary. If there's a problem, you'd check it real quick anyway;
* Trim set -- annoying if you forget but something you can handle.
You get the idea -- there are lots of things that are good form and belong on checklists that are not **absolute** necessities. (Please, no flame wars!)

United Airlines had all their B747-400 checklists on one, 8.5x11 sheet that lived atop the glareshield. Their checklist philosophy was that the two pilots would do their flow (each pilot checks everything on their side of the cockpit in a smooth motion of attention) and then the checklist would contain only the absolute necessities. Relatively speaking, extremely short checklists, but then again, their cockpits were very well organized so that flow worked. Way, way too many RV cockpits have terrible flows, meaning this switch here, then that knob over there, etc. In an ideal world, cockpit layouts are designed at the same time as cockpit flows and checklists. In an ideal world.

You get the idea -- checklist design has many, many components, but a longer checklist is not necessarily better.

My RV-9A checklists are all on one side of one laminated piece of paper, maybe 4" x 5". In sidebars, it has the V speeds (which I never look at) and an ILS checklist for the glass cockpit, because there are things there that *must* be done to set up the avionics properly. The back side contains terse avionics systems information, local frequencies (in case of brain fart), equipment serial numbers, summary weight and balance. I never have to turn pages to get to the correct checklist, and sometimes there's not a whole lot of time to do the checklist.

My current checklist is Revision 23 and in an ideal world, I'd be on Rev 24...

Last edited:
As a good back up to checklist. After my run up and IFR clearance is received, programmed, and I'm ready, I'll do:

Dee-Tee-Cigars

D-Doors Canapoy closed
T-Trim Set for takeoff
C-Controls All 4 corners
I-Instruments Set Glass flight plan / instruments ect
G-Gas Fullest tank / in the detent
A-Altitude Initial altitude in the alerter
R-Radio Twr / Dept in the standby / X-ponder code
S-Safety Belts Everyone's is latched

I learned this through the American Bonanza Society. This check has kept me safe in a variety of aircraft ready to launch IFR or VFR.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,WOW some great ideas here. Word doc , yep color coded end tabs, quick eye familiarity, course revisions, and places to get it done. Bill & Ed you brought up some good points to consider. Main stream items too for the aircraft. Good thinking guys. I did get another suggestion not from Vans air force ,you take a certified aircraft check list of a aircraft similar to your aircraft or the aircraft you use to fly. Give and Take on items, write down yours and any of theirs that pertain to your aircraft and build a list.Nice to know where you can get it built in a comfortable check list and then laminated/or not to your liking.Vans aircraft company should offer a check list built to what equipment you have in your plane. As far as switches go I have nine. Ok ten,,,,,,nope 11, ok iam good with that with a laugh ! Bill and Ed great points! Looks like over 400 have looked here so it?s definitely a item of interest. Thanks and keep sending those ideas and pictures. Ron RV9A 3 years of flying!

Back