What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UHMW Anti Friction Tape

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
My painter suggested using this UHMW tape on my gear doors, and flaps, to prevent "scuffing" the paint in this area.

Has anyone here used this? Is there a particular brand that is better?

Thanks!

Holds up well but will yellow when exposed to the elements.
Been on my plane for 12 years and still functions fine even though it’s yellowed.
The flyboys stuff was said to hold up better to the yellowing.

Has anyone here used this? Is there a particular brand that is better?

Thanks!

I used it for my flaps. 14 years and counting. I put it on the underside of wing where the flap retracts rather than the flap itself so that if it yellows you won't see it. It will scuff the paint a little but not noticeably. And certainly won't show when the flaps are fully retracted.

An option, if you have silver or gray wings, is to use a stainless tape that is mentioned in posts elsewhere on this site. Search the Forums for it as people seem pretty happy with that.

Chris

I used it for my flaps. 14 years and counting. I put it on the underside of wing where the flap retracts rather than the flap itself so that if it yellows you won't see it. It will scuff the paint a little but not noticeably. And certainly won't show when the flaps are fully retracted.

An option, if you have silver or gray wings, is to use a stainless tape that is mentioned in posts elsewhere on this site. Search the Forums for it as people seem pretty happy with that.

Chris

Thanks. I will look into that.

Northwest Regional? Aero Valley? I'm in Denton, KDTO.

The uhmw tape sucks. It yellows and gets brittle over time. The good stuff is available from Flyboys or from PM Research. More expensive for a reason.
It should be applied to whatever surface you are trying to protect.

Erich

The uhmw tape sucks. It yellows and gets brittle over time. The good stuff is available from Flyboys or from PM Research. More expensive for a reason.
It should be applied to whatever surface you are trying to protect.

Erich

Thanks, found the websites. PM Research.

Last edited:
I think 3M Paint Protection Film is what you are looking for. Commonly used in the auto industry. Very easy to install. I have it anywhere on my aircraft where rubbing/scratching may occur such as a 2" strip around the firewall (easy to scratch the paint putting the cowling back on) leading edge of the HS, around the rear turtledeck and along the sides where the canopy could rub, lower fuselage where gear leg fairings rub on the fuselage/cowling etc...

Tom.

RV-7
Slider

I think 3M Paint Protection Film is what you are looking for. Commonly used in the auto industry. Very easy to install. I have it anywhere on my aircraft where rubbing/scratching may occur such as a 2" strip around the firewall (easy to scratch the paint putting the cowling back on) leading edge of the HS, around the rear turtledeck and along the sides where the canopy could rub, lower fuselage where gear leg fairings rub on the fuselage/cowling etc...

Tom.

RV-7
Slider

I found Scotchgard-3M Pro PPF, and it's professionally installed.

Back