What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Over priced pressure/backing plate $150.00

riobison

Well Known Member
Looking to buy one pressure/backing plate to rivet my brake pads to. The holes on one side have become enlarged through the years to where it is difficult to rivet to. I've looked on ACS and that small plate # 063-00500 is $158.00 cdn.

Is there anyone else that has these for sale for a better price?

Thanks

Tim

I must be getting old and overlooked the obvious. I had thought about having one made but at the end of the day I figured it would be about the same price.

Yes, that is certainly an option. Should be able to have that welded up for 1/2 of that and I can drill the holes.

Thanks

Tim

Have you tried any of the big aircraft salvage yards?
They usually have boxes full of these types of parts... you could probably get an entire brake caliper for a 1/3 what the new part costs.

I must be getting old and overlooked the obvious. I had thought about having one made but at the end of the day I figured it would be about the same price.

Yes, that is certainly an option. Should be able to have that welded up for 1/2 of that and I can drill the holes.

Thanks

Tim

Find an experimental aircraft builder with a TIG welder and in five minutes the holes will be filled. Probably won't cost more than something to slake the builder's thirst. ;)

I'm not sure it's as simple as welding and drilling. A recess is milled into the pressure plate to accommodate the brass rivet after it's squeezed. The piston will rest on less than ideal surface possibly resulting in damage to the piston face if the rivet is not flush with the plate.

Cheers, Hans

I'm not sure it's as simple as welding and drilling. A recess is milled into the pressure plate to accommodate the brass rivet after it's squeezed. The piston will rest on less than ideal surface possibly resulting in damage to the piston face if the rivet is not flush with the plate.

Cheers, Hans

Either step drill or mill. No problem.

Maybe advertise for a VAF member that has a CNC mill. I know there have been some here looking for things to make. A part like this should be easy.

Back