What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque wrench

msmst25

Well Known Member
I'm installing the inboard hinge bracket on the vertical stabilizer, and it uses AN365 self-locking nuts. According to the directions, they should be torqued to 2.3 foot pounds. I don't think that my torque wrench is precise enough to set this, but most of the torque wrenches that I see for sale start at 5 foot pounds. Am I misinterpreting the instructions, or do I just need to keep looking for a torque wrench with lower settings?

I use a 1/4" beam-type torque wrench to measure the running torque. Then since it's already set up and on the nut, I continue and use it to establish the torque.

Dave

Look up on Amazon ?CDI dial type torque wrench? you want the 1/4 inch drive, and the appropriate range. CDI wrenches are the people who make them for Snap-on, so you are getting the quality without the price.

They are really, really nice quality, and the 1/4 drive versions are less than $150.. a bargain for a precise instrument!

And if you use a "click" type torque wrench, on the smaller AN3 bolts you may not hear the click at 25 to 30 in-lbs., the ratchet head of the wrench will just gently flex and touch the handle. Broke off my first two AN3's on the empennage years ago because I expected a noise and just kept cranking.

CDI

I have the CDI 1/4 click type. It's a very subtle click at 25. I usially put it in the vise to test the feel.
I also have a CDI screwdriver. It has a very noticeable break. Feels like the screwdriver broke.
Now I want one of the dial type! Oh bother.:D

Back