What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The spline-drive BC462-H as primary alternator- a success story!

I contacted B&C a couple months ago to see if they were going to run any Oshkosh specials. It took a LONG time to get an answer and to even have anybody return my emails. Finally they said they were and it would be announced on their youtube channel. Well Osh came and went and no specials. Hey B&C if you see this maybe run a belated special. I am planning on a 462 on the pad as my primary.

I also called B&C(about a COVID-OSHLESS special) and was told there would't be a special. I offered to buy a starter and alternator - but they didn't bite.

Last edited:
I was curious when this thread would be brought back to life.

After reading, and re-reading, this thread several times, and consulting with B&C, I have decided to use the 410 as my primary alternator. I have mags, mech fuel pump (fi), led lights and all glass.

I plan to not destroy the back cover, but will run a 1” blast tube and probably a minimalist shroud around the rectifiers. I will let you all know in a year how it worked out.

I've also read through the thread a few times and am very interested in a gear driven alternator solution. I'm all glass with LED's, but the heated pitot and heated seats will necessitate a little more juice than the 410 has to offer. I'll look forward to your report. I'm interested in Steve's report w/out dedicated cooling. My thought was to use a blast tube, but no elaborate shroud.

Brian

What would it take to make an adapter to bolt onto the vacuum pad that you could then bolt on your own alternator?

While you're at it, do some gear multiplication so this alternator can spin faster.

What would it take to make an adapter to bolt onto the vacuum pad that you could then bolt on your own alternator?

While you're at it, do some gear multiplication so this alternator can spin faster.

i dont think it will fit, the B&C is very small. But YMMV

View attachment 955I have a blast tube on the alternator. I would post a pic but have given up trying. 37 Amps might be low since my normal load is 14 Amps. I see 37 on climbout if the battery was a bit drained. That drops to 14 Amps in a few minutes. I see 33 amps if I pull the prop back to 2400. Not sure if that should be 37+14=51 or just 37. The alternator is rated at 40 amps.
If I have a quick start off a full charge I usually don’t see much above 25 amps total and drops rapidly. The EarthX can suck amps up if it’s discharged due to repeated starts ect.. This is all measured with a Dynon HDX.
G

Attachments

• 71764739-F84C-450C-BF62-FB29441BD412.jpeg
    71764739-F84C-450C-BF62-FB29441BD412.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 208
  • AD6AFE7F-4760-414A-ACAD-4E7939B57D7C.jpeg
    AD6AFE7F-4760-414A-ACAD-4E7939B57D7C.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 200
  • F6129516-BEDF-400F-8115-8A1919ABF331.jpeg
    F6129516-BEDF-400F-8115-8A1919ABF331.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I have a blast tube on the alternator. I would post a pic but have given up trying. 37 Amps might be low since my normal load is 14 Amps. I see 37 on climbout if the battery was a bit drained. That drops to 14 Amps in a few minutes. I see 33 amps if I pull the prop back to 2400. Not sure if that should be 37+14=51 or just 37. The alternator is rated at 40 amps.
If I have a quick start off a full charge I usually don’t see much above 25 amps total and drops rapidly. The EarthX can suck amps up if it’s discharged due to repeated starts ect.. This is all measured with a Dynon HDX.
G

George,

Posting a pic now is extraordinary simple. As easy as 1-2-3. Just click the little paper-clip, select your photo, click upload, and presto! Would love to see a pic of your install if you are able to give it a go. Click thumbnail below.

Brian

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
The pictures worked! The voltage regulator has since been moved to the cool side of the firewall. B&C as others have mentioned said the blast tube should be oriented at the rear of the alternator.
G

Last edited:
Another path:

Cirrus came up with a drive system that attaches to either the two drives on the back of both TCM engines and LYC types to run their A/C units. We made up a few copies when we were still selling kits - I have heard no bad reports on that system. A std alternator was used, along with a very short length v-belt.

Have a look at how Cirrus did this system - it is an option for the fwd mounted alternators to be moved back (CG concerns) and also makes the belt easier to replace. Since this system has a steel bracket to hold the alternator, I doubt that there is any appreciable weight loss.

In any case, I suggest that the B&C parts are far better than any others; the adjustable regulator is a good enough reason to use their system - it will keep up with the EarthX batteries needs.

Seems to me that the A/C drive system would be a very nice addition to any RV-10 owners in it’s original configuration to give real A/C to the cabin...?? I’ll wager that any hot rod system would fit up easily to that compressor...

Back