What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail wheel

burgundyja

Well Known Member
I am working on a 8 and I have noticed that the tail wheel doesn't line up with the rudder. Is this normal? With the tail in the air.

Vertical fin & rudder have a bit of offset, take that into consideration. I would think that the tail wheel should align with the fuselage center line, and that it's vertical axis doesn't lean to either side.

Vertical fin & rudder have a bit of offset, take that into consideration. I would think that the tail wheel should align with the fuselage center line, and that it's vertical axis doesn't lean to either side.

The RV-8 does not feature any fin offset. The fin is aligned on fuselage center. The tail wheel spring should also. If it doesn't, something isn't exactly right.

Has anybody purposely mounted their VS to the left to counter the left turning tendencys? I had a little biplane, and it was offset quite a bit. It didn?t need and rudder trim tab. I see a lot of RVs with the rudder ?wedge? and I wondered if offsetting it may help.

Thrust Offset

Has anybody purposely mounted their VS to the left to counter the left turning tendencys? I had a little biplane, and it was offset quite a bit. It didn?t need and rudder trim tab. I see a lot of RVs with the rudder ?wedge? and I wondered if offsetting it may help.

The -8 utilizes thrust offset at the engine mount. I'm sure there are folks that have tried some offset of the vertical stabilizer but this would be "guess work" since by design the engine mount offset is supposed to provide the counteraction to P-Factor.

Skylor

Not just the -8.

The -8 utilizes thrust offset at the engine mount. I'm sure there are folks that have tried some offset of the vertical stabilizer but this would be "guess work" since by design the engine mount offset is supposed to provide the counteraction to P-Factor.
Skylor

The offset engine mount is pretty much standard on all RVs.

Do you have chains or some type of link between the rudder horns and the TW actuating arm?? The length of the linkage can adjust TW malignment

There is some ?slop? in the whole assembly. Some small misalignment is not a huge deal.

I would not do it. FWIW, mine needs a little right pedal under power and a little left pedal in descent. No wedge.

I use a cockpit bungee for cruise trim...simple and adjustable. The other end is a hook. There is a hole drilled in the rear seat rudder pedal mushroom. I just put the hook in the hole when establishing cruise. Don't think I've actually changed the adjustment in five years.

Bungee%20Clip.jpg

To the OP's question...the tailwheel spring is not aligned, or the tailwheel itself is not quite aligned? A misaligned spring is a structural issue, while the latter merely needs some adjustment of the chains or links or cables or whatever you have.

Back