What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 in Boulder, CO

AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
The adventure begins! Just gave my credit card number to someone at Van's for a Tail / Emp kit, and to a tool maker for a full set!

If anyone has any reason why this man and this plane kit should not be together, speak now or forever hold your peace.

I chose the RV-10 because I need something that will clear the mountains in CO for family trips with MEAs of 16,500, can carry my wife and at least one kid, plus ski gear or the dog. I can't afford a Cirrus or Bonanza and I love to build stuff - I've built or remodeled major parts (incl water, electrical, HVAC) of three houses in the last 20 years and I'm hoping that this isn't too much of a stretch for my tool and construction skills.

My plan is:
- Quickbuild wings and fuselage - cutting a year or more off this schedule seems like a good spend of $15,000.
- iO540 Thunderbolt - 260 hp. Unless Bye comes out with a compatible electric system really, really soon.
- Dynon IFR capable glass cockpit with synthetic vision (I'm IFR and Multi-rated already)
- BRS parachute - there are very few places to land engine-out between my house and most of Colorado.
- Maybe or maybe not will do therm-x for the wings. Not sure if 85 pounds is worth it for some ice protection that falls short of FIKI. Probably better to avoid the ice altogether! I've heard about ice-resistant paint. Not sure if it is real thing yet.

If you see anything in the above that I'm missing - or anything I shouldn't do, please let me know before I get too far down the path. Will update here as I go.

Builder group

Michael
Congratulations. If you would like to communicate with builders/owners in Colorado, shoot me an e-mail from a Google Gmail account. My e-mail address is in the signature below. I manage a Google Group. About 30 of us including a couple 10s.

- Maybe or maybe not will do therm-x for the wings. Not sure if 85 pounds is worth it for some ice protection that falls short of FIKI. Probably better to avoid the ice altogether! I've heard about ice-resistant paint. Not sure if it is real thing yet....

I was told once -

Single engine,
Bad terrain,
Bad weather,
Night,

then....

Pick any two.

Out here you've already got the single engine and the bad terrain, so you might as well skip the wing ice protection; if the weather's that bad, don't go.

Dave

I don't think I would ever fly a single engine into known icing, even if protected by FIKI. I'm more worried about running into something enroute. If the Thermawing / Therm-x isn't rated for FIKI, I think I agree that it probably isn't worth the 85 pounds and cost if it isn't going to actually save my butt. Probably would give me too much false confidence anyway. Maybe something better will come along by the time I build this thing.

Stay away from icing. I would go with all Garmin again in a second!! No regrets on my 3 screen G3X, GTN 650 and Garmin servo's. Works great and updates are easy.

Thanks for the Garmin recommendation. I've done 95% of my lifetime flying in G1000 rental or CAP 172s and 182s, plus my semi-annual IFR currency training normally in a G1000 172 Redbird. I had the impression that Dynon was a better deal for similar stuff in non-certificated planes. I will look into the Garmin equipment down the road. As near as I can figure, early 2021? Maybe? So, I think I have time to investigate a little... :)

You have some fantastic choices on the market when you make your avionics decisions! There are several excellent vendors supporting VAF that sell all of the above.

If you have questions on any of the Garmin line-up, feel free to contact our team at [email protected] .

Good luck on your build (from a current RV10 builder) !

Best Regards,

Brad

Congratulations!

Now that you've picked your build, it's time to get started. I am also building an RV-10, although I'm going slow build everything with some mods that have pushed my build time out quite a bit (2 kids along the way didn't help either). My air frame is done now and I'm working on the doors and glass. Interior is waiting to be installed next, while I save up for engine and avionics. I'm down in Lakewood, about 35 minutes from you. For several years, I used to be the Chapter President for EAA 301, which is the Denver EAA Chapter. However, I stepped down this year, in order to focus on my build a bit more. 301 and 43 (Broomfield) are great chapters, and if you haven't already you should join one or both of them. 301 has about 125 members and 43 probably has about the same. 301 also has a top notch Young Eagles Program that flies about 50-70 kids a month and is usually booked out a year in advance. Look me up if you'd like to see my build or just talk 10s on the phone. Welcome to the madness! ;)

The next time I?m in Lakewood for a swim meet or soccer game (kids, not mine), I will give you a shout. Building at home or at KAPA or somewhere else?

I'll be astonished but pleased for you if you're ready for avionics by 2021.

I built a 6A from bauxite 25 years ago and bought my 10 kit at the equivalent of the QB stage 4 years ago. I'll be ready to tackle avionics this spring if all goes well.

You probably don't know the enormity of what you're getting into, and I'd consider that a mercy - because you have no chance of finishing if you're too discouraged ever to start.

Just got word from the mothership that my QB wings and fuselage are ready to ship to me! Over the weekend, with the help of the local EAA chapter, I was able to arrange for some temporary hangar space, since I can't fit all of this stuff in the garage along with the tail kit that I'm working on.

Quick question for anyone looking this morning --- what other Van's stuff should I bundle with the order? The QB add-on options are:

- electric aileron trim -- I think I say YES to this...
- landing lights -- NO? Seems like there are lots and lots of LED options out there to consider
- Float fuel sending units -- YES?? I've seen mixed reviews on the Van's units on this site, but they appear to be 1/10 the cost of magnetic units on Aircraft Spruce, so, YES?
- Static air kit - YES
- Flap positioning system -- YES??

Thanks for the quick advice!

I'm glad you found space. Opening the crates is like being a kid again on Christmas morning.

Cheers, Ken

Back