What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 off airport??

beggar

I'm New Here
I did a search I promise and I didn't find anything specific to the -10. I am being relocated back to Alaska and would like continue my tail kit on my 10. Most the places I want to take my family in Alaska are not paved strips. I'm not talking about sandbars and bush strips but there are a lot of village strips that are usually gravel and 2000ftish long. Can the RV-10 handle these conditions okay without damage etc? Any input is much appreciated.

Here is a thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=172687&highlight=Moose+creek

We flew into most of these fields again this past summer. It probably goes without saying that the short field performance is awesome. The weak point of the -10 are the wheel pants. I expect that sooner or later the wheelpants will take some damage from a large rock or gopher hole, but they are repairable. You could also rework the wheel pants to ride higher and give more clearance. If building, you could fit a 6.00-6 tires to the mains (or larger).

If you want a really impressive example of rough field work by a RV-10, do a search here for posts by user "10TJ"

Last edited:
The RV-10 that AOPA just updated for their sweepstakes giveaway was an earlier RV-10 that spent most of its life flying from gravel strips in Canada. After a while the wheel pants and paint may show some wear, but that airplane was still perfectly fundamentally sound. RV-10s are flown in short, high, in paved environments quite a bit. I’ve flow through -10 in and out of short grass and dirt strips quite a bit. It does well.

You could PM woxofswa here to get some real world info. Myron has a beautiful RV-10 that he flies to Mexico once a month with the Flying Samaritans. I fly my hot and sweaty Saratoga, and he usually passes me, laughing all the way with his air conditioning. What a show off... :)

We go into dirt strips at Mulege and Adolfo Lopez Mateos airfields, and his RV-10 has no problem at all. It's perfect for the job.

Back