What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP FM150 vs Avstar on TBolt 390 - Thoughts before I press "Buy"

Bungalow Al

Greetings, I know this has been discussed, and have read through most of the threads..... I'm an average-intelligence-bear, so always need some 'splaining'.......:)

So, I'm about to order my engine and am leaning towards the AFP FM150 vs the standard Avstar. I understand the mounting of cables, hoses and snorkel are slightly different, but manageable. I am just wondering before I press send/buy, what are the advantages of the FM150 vs the Avstar? The majority of folks seem to favor the FM150.....

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi Turner,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, aware of the new Vans engine offer, but have decided to stick with the original design layout since I already have the finish kit, etc.

So many options keep popping up............:)

Cheers,

...what are the advantages of the FM150 vs the Avstar? The majority of folks seem to favor the FM150..

Slightly less carb loss (i.e. a bit more manifold pressure), and a reputation for excellent support.

For example, can you find a service manual for the Avstar? A comprehensive manual will come with your FM150.

Slightly less carb loss (i.e. a bit more manifold pressure), and a reputation for excellent support.

For example, can you find a service manual for the Avstar? A comprehensive manual will come with your FM150.

Not to mention if the manual is confusing or you just need more help, Don will always pick up the phone. You’re right - the support is outstanding!

Back