What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

To the G3X experts

I haven't had time to fly with my panel yet so I don't know if the G3X could do this but it would be more then awesome if the G3X could keep track of the weight and balance as you are burning fuel. Another words as you are flying and fuel is being used that the screen would show you at all times where your balance is without you having to add numbers to it.
I could see this being very helpful in the rv10

I haven't had time to fly with my panel yet so I don't know if the G3X could do this but it would be more then awesome if the G3X could keep track of the weight and balance as you are burning fuel. Another words as you are flying and fuel is being used that the screen would show you at all times where your balance is without you having to add numbers to it.
I could see this being very helpful in the rv10

Just playing devil's advocate... why would this be helpful? During your flight planning, you should already know your weight and balance for takeoff and landing. If you know you are within limits at take off and landing, why would you need the system to calculate it for you anywhere in the middle?

Hello Rick,

The Data Fields tab on the INFO page allows you to view all of the weather datalink fields including baro setting, winds, temperature, and dewpoint (provided by the nearest METAR).

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, is there a way to get the baro displayed on one of the User selected data fields across the top of the display? It didn't come up as a selectable field when I customized the data bar.

G#X Touch Wish List

I also like the option for an "Oil Timer" so that it is easy to verify when an oil change is coming due rather than comparing the tach time to my log book.

The other option I would like is to have the flight timer automatic and not have to activate it. I find myself forgetting to turn it on on take off and my old GTX-330 transponder had a timer that automatically started on take off.

The other option I would like is to have the flight timer automatic and not have to activate it. I find myself forgetting to turn it on on take off and my old GTX-330 transponder had a timer that automatically started on take off.

Hello Bryon,

Please look on page 330 of the Rev. F G3X Touch Pilot Guide. You can select the FLT time field to the top data bar which automatically and constantly shows the elapsed flight time.

We use it all the time. Comes in handy when referring to positions in our flight test videos.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bryon,

Please look on page 330 of the Rev. F G3X Touch Pilot Guide. You can select the FLT time field to the top data bar which automatically and constantly shows the elapsed flight time.

We use it all the time. Comes in handy when referring to positions in our flight test videos.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve
What parameters start and stop the Flight Time record? Is it speed, and if so what speed, or is speed user set?
John

Hello Bryon,

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I looked at page 300 and flight timer is listed but don't see how to make is start automatically? I have the flight timer set up to show on the top of my screens data bar but it requires manual starting. I must be missing a setup setting somewhere? Do I need to hold the menu button on power up and configure it somewhere in setup?

Steve,

I looked at page 300 and flight timer is listed but don't see how to make is start automatically? I have the flight timer set up to show on the top of my screens data bar but it requires manual starting. I must be missing a setup setting somewhere? Do I need to hold the menu button on power up and configure it somewhere in setup?

Hello Bryon,

Yes, as stated above, the FLT timer field is automatic. Nothing to do but select it to the data bar and enjoy it.

Please don't confuse this field with the totally different TIMER field discussed on page 29 of the Rev. F G3X Touch Pilot Guide. This is a manually operated timer that must be manually started/stopped/reset. Based on what you are telling us, you have enabled the TIMER field, not the FLT timer field.

Thanks,
Steve

Data Field question - ETED

Steve,
How does the G3X determine the Destination if one is trying to use the Estimated Time Enroute Destination? I never get a time display in that field, just blanks.

I'm using an external navigator (GTN 750) and the G3X doesn't seem to recognize the "Destination".

BTW. This G3X system is awesome. It's even better than I expected - way better.

Update: I went flying this morning and noticed the following: As I was returning home, I went Direct to 52F, so that was my next waypoint. The G3X was showing Blanks in the ETED field. While enroute, I added an intermediate waypoint. After adding the intermediate waypoint, the ETED filled in with a valid time to destination.

Last edited:
Hello Bryon,

Yes, as stated above, the FLT timer field is automatic. Nothing to do but select it to the data bar and enjoy it.

Please don't confuse this field with the totally different TIMER field discussed on page 29 of the Rev. F G3X Touch Pilot Guide. This is a manually operated timer that must be manually started/stopped/reset. Based on what you are telling us, you have enabled the TIMER field, not the FLT timer field.

Thanks,
Steve

Ok yes I was getting the two confused. I will go back and set up the FLT flight timer on the data bar field and remove the timer. Thanks for the clarification.

With Automatic Flight Timer, what parameters start and stop the Flight Time record?
Is it speed, and if so what speed, or is speed user set?
John

With Automatic Flight Timer, what parameters start and stop the Flight Time record?

Hello John,

This is also addressed in the description of the flight log feature in the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide. If your G3X system installation includes engine monitoring, the flight timer will automatically increment whenever the engine is running. Otherwise, flight time recording is determined based on altitude gain and airspeed as described here:

G3X Touch Pilot's Guide - Appendix B (page 335, ref F)

Flight Log

With EIS items configured, recording begins when the engine hours timer or airframe total hours is running. This allows recording of time spent on ground before takeoff and after landing while the engine is running.

With no EIS items configured, recording begins when the aircraft reaches 250 feet of altitude. When the aircraft’s groundspeed drops below 30 knots, the flight entry is saved and a new entry is recorded when departing the airport. A touch-and-go or brief stop of less than 10 minutes appends to the current flight record, rather than starting a new entry.

- Matt

Last edited:
Steve,
How does the G3X determine the Destination if one is trying to use the Estimated Time Enroute Destination? I never get a time display in that field, just blanks.

I'm using an external navigator (GTN 750) and the G3X doesn't seem to recognize the "Destination".

BTW. This G3X system is awesome. It's even better than I expected - way better.

Update: I went flying this morning and noticed the following: As I was returning home, I went Direct to 52F, so that was my next waypoint. The G3X was showing Blanks in the ETED field. While enroute, I added an intermediate waypoint. After adding the intermediate waypoint, the ETED filled in with a valid time to destination.

Hello Rick,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your G3X Touch system. Upon investigation, it appears that the GTN does not output "time to destination waypoint" data when performing direct-to navigation. We're not sure why it does this, but we should be able to add a workaround in the next G3X software update. Much easier than changing certified software!

- Matt

G3X display colors

I like my G3X more and more as I get to know and manage its settings. This thread is helping us to realize that many of our wish list items are in fact available as you Experts tell us something we didn't know or hadn't read about in the several hundred pages of the Guide and Installation Manual.

I would like to change the color of the ground speed number. That maroon just doesn't show up like the white numbers. I wonder if others of you agree?

Would be nice if the highway in the sky boxes would show vertical navigation without an IFR navigator. If I engage the AP and select vertical navigation the AP will fly me to the ALT I selected however many miles from the airport I select. Why not show the highway in the sky boxes while decending? If the AP is flying the plane why not give the pilot another thing to cross check with the descent.

Also would be nice when I am on final at my very dark middle of nowhere field to see the boxes instead of just relying on ALT and vertical speed. We have no vasi and limited lights, if I could take advantage of the highway boxes it would be like having a vasi at the airport, don't have to have VASI to land but it is safer and better, another thing to cross check with ALT and what you see out of the aircraft.

Could also be used in an engine out situation guiding you to the airport, or a VFR pilot on top of a layer with an engine out, highway boxes could save his or her life giving vertical guidance to an airport.

I assume this feature is not included because Garmin does not want people flying a non published approach, but why take this feature away from people that could use it as a safety feature.

Hopefully I am totaly wrong here and this feature is available, and I just do not know how to use it.

Thanks,
Jason

RV-6 IFR Advanced Flight
Rans S-7 G3x Touch

On another thread a couple people asked a similar question, in particular why the g3x software doesn't allow for vertical navigation (vnav) were the pilot sets the descent angle (e.g. 3 degrees) as is the case on the g1000 and many other certified and non-certified efis. g3xpert wrote he would look into it, but never came back afaik. At the moment, the way vnav in the g3x works is that the pilot input a target fpm-rate and the g3x fixes the descent angle based on the speed of the plane around one minute before the top of descent, with no control and no visibility for the pilot of what this angle is. In particular there is no way that the pilot can reproduce exactly the same descent angle to a waypoint (or airport) on 2 different flights, despite setting the same fpm target on both flight (so if you have cleared terrain and obstacles on the previous flight, not sure you will clear on the second flight). The software modification would be extremely simple given the vnav function already exists.

will G3X touch drive GNS 430

Planning for panel upgrade.

I know the 430 flight plan and comm will drive the G3X, but Im wondering if I can select comm channel on the G3X will it change the freq on the 430. Also can a flight plan and/approach be selected on G3X and have them port to the 430?

Id like to move the 430 to the right side of the panel, which is doable if I can drive from the G3X.

Paul

Planning for panel upgrade.

I know the 430 flight plan and comm will drive the G3X, but Im wondering if I can select comm channel on the G3X will it change the freq on the 430. Also can a flight plan and/approach be selected on G3X and have them port to the 430?

Id like to move the 430 to the right side of the panel, which is doable if I can drive from the G3X.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank you for choosing a G3X Touch system for your panel upgrade.

Page 32-125 of the Rev. Z G3X Installation Manual provides a list of all the COM radios which may be touch tuned from the COM1/COM2 radio tuning areas at the top of the displays. Unfortunately, the GNS 430/430W does not support remote radio tuning.

If you have a GNS 430W and have wired the Connext serial interface shown on page 24-16, you may push a VFR flight plan over to the 430W from the GDU, but you can't load and activate approaches on the GDU, so it is just a convenience when you are flying VFR with the system.

When you are using external flight planning with the 430/430W, the flight plan, including any approach in use is automatically transferred to the GDU each time changes are made on the 430/430W

In summary, you will want to have your IFR navigator in a convenient location in the panel to support using all the features it provides.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

How about the ability for the G3x Touch to listen to and display Emag/Pmag serial data? I doubt I'm the first person to ask for this, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere else in the thread or on VAF.

Dave

Last edited:
How about the ability for the G3x Touch to listen to and display Emag/Pmag serial data? I'm sure I can't be the first person to ask for this, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere else in the thread or on VAF.

Dave

I'd love to see that. Don't have the panel space for the stand alone unit.

-Dan

How about the ability for the G3x Touch to listen to and display Emag/Pmag serial data? I'm sure I can't be the first person to ask for this, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere else in the thread or on VAF.

Dave

Being someone that has deciphered the PMag's serial protocol (with help from EmagAir), I doubt they will ever take this on as that protocol could use some help. Much of the protocol issues have roots in the hardware/firmware design of the PMag.

Being someone that has deciphered the PMag's serial protocol (with help from EmagAir), I doubt they will ever take this on as that protocol could use some help. Much of the protocol issues have roots in the hardware/firmware design of the PMag.
Perhaps it is, but when I asked Brad at Emag about this capability he seemed willing to give information to Garmin (or other EFIS builders) to have a go at some sort of interface. Emag's EICAD software and the EI Commander guys seem to be able to grab info from the PMag and EMag, is there something that would stop Garmin from doing the same?

Dave

Last edited:
Perhaps it is, but when I asked Brad at Emag about this capability he seemed willing to give information to Garmin (or other EFIS builders) to have a go at some sort of interface. Emag's EICAD software and the EI Commander guys seem to be able to grab info from the PMag and EMag, is there something that would stop Garmin from doing the same?

Dave

Nothing stopping them at all. If I can do it anyone can. I was able to do it by getting a copy of the basic protocol from the developer at EmagAir. The protocol is not fully defined and much of how it works is in his head or it appears that way from my side of things. Much of what I learned about the protocol was done by snooping the serial stream in and out of the PMag while interacting with it via EICAD. There are some quirks to the protocol and limitations based on the low resolution and processing power of the hardware used in the PMag. EICAD also is full of bugs and quirkiness. I cannot speak for the EI Commander since I have never used one.

The bottom line is that the serial protocol built into the PMag does not appear to be fully baked and does not seem like it was intended to be used by the masses. I doubt Garmin would accept the quirks. There is also a liability concern on their part to think about. Just being connected to the thing will increase their risk.

+1

Surely there's enough business down here to justify the effort....
Avplan and Ozrunways both already provide raster charts for Australia wide VFR coverage (and they work fine in a Dynon). I would think the coding required to display them in the Garmin system wouldn't be a particularly arduous job.

User profiles?

Did a quick search but didn't find this.

Any thoughts to adding a user profile capability (similar to that in the G1000)? It's a nice feature when different pilots fly the plane. I expect multiple pilots flying the same plane is somewhat more rare in the experimental world, but I can see a use for it.

Also +1 on the Pmag interface.

Aussies treated as poor cousins

I wish to support the Australians who have written so far. Its disappointing that Dynon can support Australian WAC, VEC, VTC, VNC charts but Garmin cannot. I had Dynon last aircraft and it was brilliant, chose all Garmin this time to harmonise with the GTN 650 (GPS), now I have to fly with an Ipad using Ozrunways or Avplan to ensure I do not penetrate CTA because Garmin and Jeppersen here in Australia is second rate. Please Mr Garmin if you are reading this - fix it.

Re-sizing dedicated engine information window

I did the first flights post G3X Touch install last week, very nice system!

My main item for the wish list is to be able to be able to show more engine instruments on the dedicated side bar. Unless I'm missing something, once the mandatory instruments are displayed, there is no room for more. I'd give up the "analog" MAP and RPM gauges to get more space, but I didn't see an option for that.

FLARM

I would love to see the G3X Touch supporting the FLARM protocol. It would enhance safety a lot.

2 years with G3X touch wish list

I've been flying behind a single 10" G3X Touch screen for two years now and I couldn't be happier with it! Yesterday I finally got around to hooking the GMA245 audio panel into the CAN bus to get the added features that this mode allows. Once I got it all up and running I realized that it further reduced the number of available data bar "fields" that I have on the top of my display.

My wish list would include the option to have a second row of data fields.

Related to the data bar it would be great if I could suppress the 2nd comm radio frequency display. I have a GNC255A comm radio and I like the ability to send it frequencies (both comm and nav) but since it sits right beside the G3X display I don't need a second indication. That is space that I could use for the fields in the data bar.

Second item on my list would be for the ability to use one of the discrete inputs on the GTR-20 that would allow me to toggle the monitor function on and off.

Does the G3X have a glide ring that shows where you can glide to in case the engine quits? In no wind conditions, the pilot can just head for the closest suitable landing spot. But when there is a strong wind, the aircraft might not be able to reach the closest landing area, whereas it might be able to glide to a suitable place farther away but downwind. A glide ring on the map could mean the difference between life and death if the engine quits over hostile terrain or water.

Does the G3X have a glide ring that shows where you can glide to in case the engine quits? In no wind conditions, the pilot can just head for the closest suitable landing spot. But when there is a strong wind, the aircraft might not be able to reach the closest landing area, whereas it might be able to glide to a suitable place farther away but downwind. A glide ring on the map could mean the difference between life and death if the engine quits over hostile terrain or water.

Yes, and it can be configured to show a pointer towards the best glide airport.

-Dan

Yes, and it can be configured to show a pointer towards the best glide airport.

-Dan

i need to document it more, but i've had so many instances where in my dual screen config, the left screen suggests one airport and the right screen another, or the glide ring is adjusted for wind on the left screen, but not the right, i'd like to understand why this is the case

"O" boy, I will get kicked around for this one.

We came up with a little idea after a prop re-fit and repair the last month.
We did the vibration test for the GDU during the set-up of the G3X-touch. This last prop update got us to thinking. It would be nice to have an add-on were there would be an exclarometor accessory kit that would wire into the engine box, I think the 24, then have programing in the CPU of the GDU, that would allow us to check our balance from time to time or even give us a status indication on the display. We have looked at these little dynamic balancers and see that this seems to be all there is to them. Garmin could put a kit out as an add-on and do the programing for the CPU in the GDU at a lot less than what a dynamic balancer kit cost. Just a thought at random, Yours R.E.A. III #80888

We came up with a little idea after a prop re-fit and repair the last month.
We did the vibration test for the GDU during the set-up of the G3X-touch. This last prop update got us to thinking. It would be nice to have an add-on were there would be an exclarometor accessory kit that would wire into the engine box, I think the 24, then have programing in the CPU of the GDU, that would allow us to check our balance from time to time or even give us a status indication on the display. We have looked at these little dynamic balancers and see that this seems to be all there is to them. Garmin could put a kit out as an add-on and do the programing for the CPU in the GDU at a lot less than what a dynamic balancer kit cost. Just a thought at random, Yours R.E.A. III #80888

This is a brilliant idea! Particularly for those of us with fixed-pitch props. We can't dynamically balance to cruise RPM ~2700, because max static is ~2000. You'd also need a sensor reading the position of the prop, but that should also be trivial to add.

i need to document it more, but i've had so many instances where in my dual screen config, the left screen suggests one airport and the right screen another, or the glide ring is adjusted for wind on the left screen, but not the right, i'd like to understand why this is the case

Do you have weather setup on both displays?

-Dan

Do you have weather setup on both displays?

-Dan

I'm butting in here, sorry. I have a dual screen G3X Touch non-XM setup with a GDL39R ADS-B receiver. With is combination, wx is only available on the screen that is directly attached to the GDL39R with a serial line. It *might* be different for those who have a XM-capable GDU or are equipped with a newer Garmin transponder that has ADS-B In.

I have a dual screen setup and a GDL39 and get weather on both screens by hardwiring one and connecting the other via BlueTooth. This leaves one BT connection for my tablet. Works great!

I have a dual screen setup and a GDL39 and get weather on both screens by hardwiring one and connecting the other via BlueTooth. This leaves one BT connection for my tablet. Works great!

I'm a hardwire type of guy, but I do need to try this. I should have one bluetooth port available on the GDL39 when nobody's riding in the back and wants to pay attention (the other goes to my iPhone.)

I'm a hardwire type of guy, but I do need to try this. I should have one bluetooth port available on the GDL39 when nobody's riding in the back and wants to pay attention (the other goes to my iPhone.)

Hello Charley,

Yes, that should work fine to hardwire your GDL39R to the PFD and BT to the MFD.

You are also correct about the newer transponders. The GTX 45R/345R/345 transponders have hardwire interfaces to provide ADS-B traffic/weather for up to 3 G3X Touch displays and a GTN at the same time. In addition to that, they also have a wireless interface available for portable devices.

Thanks,
Steve

Comm toggle

Steve,

If I opt for the panel mount GTR 200 (built in 2 place audio) and then a second remote comm GTR 20......will I be able to toggle back and forth on the g3x screen between Comm1 and Comm2? Or would I require one of the audio panels (GMA 240/245/245R) to acconplish this?

Thanks,

Ed

Steve,

If I opt for the panel mount GTR 200 (built in 2 place audio) and then a second remote comm GTR 20......will I be able to toggle back and forth on the g3x screen between Comm1 and Comm2? Or would I require one of the audio panels (GMA 240/245/245R) to acconplish this?

Thanks,

Ed

Hello Ed,

If you wish to switch radios using the MIC 1/2 buttons at the top of the display, you would need to use either the GMA 245 or GMA 245R audio panel.

Jn0tCw3AkUEDBIruUZvgD4s5UtMwl0HX2M-L3rqtNbBZ7K2npQDC57RLiyfrs4MMaHXUdL_vJX-WJwBoNjt_QNcnyiPNMgMJEyMD8HggzgxoCnhbcD9IRUEKNeOMdD9wLlMaP8UyTyzG18DDOH-FV1o8XuSslXrvg3_T96JYRVe9Nbh_URoRn-KSpXuQ7HRv1xPChiBrfrEhGJtkNywwK8tgnc0_GsOkXT_PFz3dHjtHYYuixxYBqVMpQfTTLGYEVHNPYy9rj0XAVe8m3z3uEoeLGk6jOY5WHrSIxqyvgbC5zef26KNL_4ROt8j3KcH_KppsBnFMGoCXbC9rHN0lNcPzMR4Oa2StXZtsDJxHLVXnRf1D6ebaDMGjWHsTHijqMnk3UL0hIWZoKmGrxVbOibuqexCExB_uHsxeOmEmT7N7UQM3J9t1h1Tia-xVvcn-q8uzKaM16kew6mji-1eDN-v4ln6XgrC7knJooPCxfwSe4YYNkgZ0saEeQSXGgX1e9lJ8g6BViyY9YY1axJoO3311b2MePAxGq6ezIyQ7YWxiEkKudCu-EWVBTEytU86REcX1=w624-h454-no

Front.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

I'd sure like to have a remote Nav/Comm radio. Any chance of that happening?

Edit: Just to clarify - a 2nd Nav/Comm to supplement the GTN650.

Last edited:
Here's an easy win for Garmin, add a vibration sensor to your engine monitor package, Insight is now doing this

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg4.htm

InsightAvionics said:
The sensor detects vibration in all 3 axis (fore-aft labeled x, up-down labeled z, and left-right labeled y) which are presented on different sub-screens. The vibration analysis only functions when the engine is running and a valid rpm signal is detected.
In regards to the vibration graph, the vertical axis represents the amount of vibration energy and the horizontal axis represents the frequency spectrum expressed as multiples of crankshaft rpm. When the engine is running, the screen will come alive with a waveform that represents the engine motion, presented in a spectral format with the crankshaft energies appearing at the 1x mark on the bottom scale. Propeller vibration will likewise be synchronous with the crankshaft vibration. Other sources of vibration will tend to produce energies at other frequencies.
For example, camshaft vibration tends to accumulate at the .5x mark, since the cam turns at 1/2 the rate of the crankshaft. Magneto vibration will appear at 1.5x mark in a 6-cylinder engine. Alternator vibration may appear somewhere around 3x or 4x, depending on the ratio it is driven at.

I'd sure like to have a remote Nav/Comm radio. Any chance of that happening?

Edit: Just to clarify - a 2nd Nav/Comm to supplement the GTN650.

wouldn't the GTR20 solve your needs? or are you intending to invest further into the VOR navigation?

I'm intending to invest further in ILS approaches. In my area there are a few Localizer or ILS approaches that either get you lower or are a lot more straightforward than their GPS counterparts.

Max Cross Wind Component

Add to the wish list - an input in configuration mode for the demonstrated max cross wind component that shows up in yellow/red by the wind panel in the bottom right hand corner of the screen when you are getting close.

I love the system so far in my RV-12. It's amazing.

Wish list: add an aural "altitude" call out after the GP is captured on a precision approach to remind you to set the missed altitude. Saw this on a Cirrus G1000 and thought it was a great idea.

Back