What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter adapter question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Here are some pics of the GPS antenna shelf that I fabbed. I'm going with the parallel valve IO360 and was looking for input on clearance using either the B C 90 degree adapter, any other 90 deg adapter, the standard straight lyc oil filter fitting, or even having to pony up for the Airwolf remote filter. Looking to change oil every 25 hrs so ease of access would be nice. Any input would be appreciated!

Here are some pics of the GPS antenna shelf that I fabbed. I'm going with the parallel valve IO360 and was looking for input on clearance using either the B C 90 degree adapter, any other 90 deg adapter, the standard straight lyc oil filter fitting, or even having to pony up for the Airwolf remote filter. Looking to change oil every 25 hrs so ease of access would be nice. Any input would be appreciated!

I can't comment on the impact of filter changes on the other adapters you mentioned, but your ant. mount would totally block the access path I use to change filters on engines with the standard Lycoming filter adapter.

Scott, I should have included top down pics. The front is held with hinges and the aft part of the shelf is secured with #8 screws to angle. The whole thing can be removed in about two minutes for access to things underneath. My concern is does the oil filter stick up too far using the 90 deg adapter? Anyone with close up pics of their 90 deg adapter would help in the selection process. Thanks

Ray, thanks for the close up pic. I see yours is a Titan engine. They use the BC 90 deg adapter so I should be able to squeeze it under the shelf with some minor mods. Just what I was looking for! Thanks

If you use the Airwolf remote, it won't be a problem at all, though the adapter might cause problems with other things. On my IO-540, it is a *very* close fit to the backup alternator and made it impossible to install an electronic tach sender without using a mechanical extension cable. Not sure what you have (or will have) hanging off the back of your engine, but once you solve those issues, the filter itself is nowhere near your antenna mount. I can't speak to the other options as I have a standard setup on my RV-6. I opted for the remote on the RV-10 because I can't picture any engine-mounted filter not having the same problem as the standard, which is an oily mess every time you change it no matter how careful you are - which is not the issue you are chasing.

Pics with engine hung

Here's a few pics with the engine hung so you can see the filter in relation to the mount.

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 393
One thing you'll want to think about is the ability to mount the antenna far enough forward on that mount shelf so that you don't "shade" the antenna with the aluminum mounting strip for the cowl behind the antenna. That will block satellites from view by the antenna, so you'll want it far enough forward to avoid that.

Yes, I did that, and had to build a new shelf to solve it. You'll also want to check the height of the antenna top versus the cowl surface - rubbing there would not be a good long-term thing. Looks to me like you've got plenty of room.

Remember that the Airwolf remote filter set-up will add 4 + pounds to your FWF. We installed one on the Cozy MKIV and found absolutely no benefit as apposed to the standard Lycoming straight oil filter set up. Changing the filter is still a PITA, and oil will escape the filter as soon as the filter is loose enough no matter what you choose as a mounting system, so I kept it simple and light on the RV-10 and RV-9A. Some people like to do an oil/filter change without the hassle of removing one, or both halves of the cowling. I want them both off because its a good opportunity to get eyes on everything FWF.

Eric, if it’s not too much to ask, could you get another side pic. Pic #1 is close to what I need. I’m looking to get a true 90 degrees off the top of the curved part of the engine mount to assure that the filter will fit under the shelf. The remote mount is a last resort and yes, I agree that an oil change is a messy proposition no matter how you slice it. :D

With an angle as reference

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 159
Back