What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430W to 650 Upgrade Questions

100LL

I'm New Here
Patron
Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster. I'm helping @dmat do some upgrades on his 6A and have a few questions. I did the original wiring on it but was provided a diagram for the entire system (thanks Stein!), thus the questions now.

1) Does the GTR-200 need pins 8 and 27 connected to ID it as COM2 when paired with a GTN-650, or is this only if it is paired with another GTR-200?

2) Since there is no transmit interlock, the mic key pin on the 650 can be wired directly to the matching mic key pin on the GMA 240 (and same with the GTR-200), while grounding the MUTE ON COM TX pin on the 240, correct?

3) And finally, will the G3X (non touch) send a frequency to both the 200 and the 650? (it of course already does to the 200) i.e will it let me pick, or only send it to one or the other?

Thanks all!

Mike

Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster. I'm helping @dmat do some upgrades on his 6A and have a few questions. I did the original wiring on it but was provided a diagram for the entire system (thanks Stein!), thus the questions now.

1) Does the GTR-200 need pins 8 and 27 connected to ID it as COM2 when paired with a GTN-650, or is this only if it is paired with another GTR-200?

2) Since there is no transmit interlock, the mic key pin on the 650 can be wired directly to the matching mic key pin on the GMA 240 (and same with the GTR-200), while grounding the MUTE ON COM TX pin on the 240, correct?

3) And finally, will the G3X (non touch) send a frequency to both the 200 and the 650? (it of course already does to the 200) i.e will it let me pick, or only send it to one or the other?

Thanks all!

Mike

Good Morning Mike,

1. That would only be used to differentiate one GTR radio from another in a dual GTR radio installation.

2. COM Mic Key out (for the GTN) from the audio panel will be wired in parallel to both the COM Mic Key input of the GTN 650, as well as the Transmit Interlock In of the GTR radio. Figure 29-2.4 of Revision AM of the G3X Touch Installation Manual provides a similar example, with a GNS 430 rather than a GTN. The GTN does not require a transmit interlock input as it de-senses its receiver in the presence of another radio transmitting in close proximity.

3. The non-touch displays will program a frequency to the standby position of the GTR 200, but does not have the ability to program any frequencies on a GTN 650.

Thanks,

Justin

Back