What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants

mxhossai

Hello all, while the COVID19 blazes on here in the US, I hope some of us are able to get out and fly!

I had bought wheel pants for my RV12 a while back, but other things took priority while in the shop, repairing.

How hard are the fairing to put it on? Any instructions in PDFs? How much time/tools needed? Any gottacha while putting it on, so that it may make it easier to check tire pressure and other minor maintenance?

Also, does it improve speed somewhat?

Thank you,
Monir

Last edited:
Monir - Installing the wheel pants is not hard per se ... But there is quite a bit of work to do that requires patience and time if you want the best possible outcome.

Following Van's instructions will get the job done ... Just take your time cutting the parts and carefully sanding material to establish the best fit.

At some point you will need epoxy resin and flox when fitting the main gear pants to the mounting brackets ... I used West Systems epoxy resin ... Good stuff.

If I had it to do over, I think I would seriously consider fabricating an access door for easier access to the tire's valve stem.

Adding the wheel pants will get you a few extra knots.

Happy building,

Last edited:
They look great, but I don’t think they are worth the hassle they create in airing up your tires. I took mine off. Checking tire pressure is now a 5 minute job - with coffee break instead of 20 minutes of frustration.

Back