What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 canopy strut

pmnewlon

Well Known Member
I need to replace the hinged canopy hold open on my RV4. I have been nosing around the forums but haven't found any info on RV4 specific canopy strut which is what I would like to replace the long hinge with. If you have a strut instead of a hinge for holding your canopy open, could you post pics and some strut part number info?

Also, if you replaced the 3/4" bent/welded canopy mid brace with the Van's formed brace, I would love to see how you went about installing it - hopefully without major surgery of the skirt.

Thanks!

Phil

Photos

Phil, I have a canopy strut on my -4. I am going to the hangar after work and will take photos to post for you. I am not sure if the info is on the strut, and I purchased the plane so if it is not there I can't help you with that...

Strut your stuff...

I need to replace the hinged canopy hold open on my RV4. I have been nosing around the forums but haven't found any info on RV4 specific canopy strut which is what I would like to replace the long hinge with. If you have a strut instead of a hinge for holding your canopy open, could you post pics and some strut part number info?

Also, if you replaced the 3/4" bent/welded canopy mid brace with the Van's formed brace, I would love to see how you went about installing it - hopefully without major surgery of the skirt.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil,

I tried several iterations on my 4 back when the plans originally called for a "rope". The easiest is the Home Depot Aviation mod with a Cabinet "Drawer stop" attached to the roll bar and canopy skirt pictured below. I drilled out the center rivet and replaced with a AN bolt/nut. I also filed the one way stop ledge off which allows a full 360 degree swivel when closing or opening. The attach point bracket is included when purchased and centered on the skirt, attached with AN bolts/nuts. Really simple and I have installed several for customers.

The gas strut required a bit more engineering and unfortunately since I sold my four, I don't have a pic. For my original RV4 strut I bought an auto trunk opening strut for a Honda at Advance Auto, removed the oil by drilling a small hole in one end. I then threaded one end and installed an aircraft rod end. Best mod but time consuming. Still working great, however, the Home Depot mod is much faster and simpler.

V/R
Smokey

Home Depot Aviation mod 1

PS: Also visible is my "canopy hold-open" Mod 2.

Last edited:
Smokey - thanks for the info. no concerns about weakening the roll-over structure by drilling holes in it?

> I tried several iterations on my 4 back when the plans originally called for a "rope". The easiest is the Home Depot Aviation mod with a Cabinet "Drawer stop" attached to the roll bar and canopy skirt pictured below. I drilled out the center rivet and replaced with a AN bolt/nut. I also flied the one way stop ledge off which allows a full 360 degree swivel when closing or opening. Really simple and I have installed several for customers.

Photos of strut system...

Here are pics of my strut system I took tonight, I hope they help...

2usyet3.jpg

m6jx3.jpg

2m64uab.jpg

ml2yrp.jpg

I made something like Smokey's Home Depot latch using left over aluminum from the kit. I made the middle pivot slightly off center from the two bars' centerlines so that it became an over-center lock in case the open canopy got hit with a gust that tried to force it closed. To close it I have to reach over my right shoulder and tap the pivot upward as I pull the canopy closed. It has worked great so far.

Alan

RV4 Canopy Strut

My RV4 has a strut system like that pictured above. The strut is a NAPA part
BK 819-5516 costing about $32.

canopy restraint

Phil,

I tried several iterations on my 4 back when the plans originally called for a "rope". The easiest is the Home Depot Aviation mod with a Cabinet "Drawer stop" attached to the roll bar and canopy skirt pictured below. I drilled out the center rivet and replaced with a AN bolt/nut. I also filed the one way stop ledge off which allows a full 360 degree swivel when closing or opening. The attach point bracket is included when purchased and centered on the skirt, attached with AN bolts/nuts. Really simple and I have installed several for customers.

The gas strut required a bit more engineering and unfortunately since I sold my four, I don't have a pic. For my original RV4 strut I bought an auto trunk opening strut for a Honda at Advance Auto, removed the oil by drilling a small hole in one end. I then threaded one end and installed an aircraft rod end. Best mod but time consuming. Still working great, however, the Home Depot mod is much faster and simpler.

V/R
Smokey

Home Depot Aviation mod 1

PS: Also visible is my "canopy hold-open" Mod 2.

Mr Ray,

Your photos are no longer attached to this 2013 message regarding canopy restraints. Do you still have them? The "custom" designed "rope" canopy restraint system on my 29 year old RV-4 has failed and I'm looking for solutions. Thanks, Hammy C-GWYR

Back