What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

I wanted a clean, uncluttered panel and also to retain the canopy hinge release handle so Com 2 (GTR-20) and transponder (GTX-45R) went under the panel. Electrical protection is all fuses except for the alternator field breaker; I mounted two fuse blocks on the right panel support rib.

I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Was scrolling through this thread and wow- what a nice panel.
And; maybe the picture is a bit blurry to tell but, to me it looks like you are doing 149TAS on 6.5gph? :eek: wow

Bandit Upgrade

With all the OSH hubbub ongoing, small items of interest seemingly get lost in the shuffle. I missed this year due to relocating which would have been my 30th attendance. However, a great news story for me this week was the current owner of my first RV build DC “Killer” a former F18 driver shared a pic of “The Bandits” new panel. In a word, WOW! A big change from the Fly Market “very well loved” gauges previously installed back in 95’! He says an AP is in the works too!
Thanks to DC for sharing!
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Hello.
Does anyone have a pic or know how the F-403 bulkhead attaches to the rest of the angle bracket.
Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if I can do a panel upgrade with a new F-403 WITHOUT removing F-421 (forward turtledeck).

Thanks.
Mat

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 11.22.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 11.22.18 AM.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 121
RV-4 panel upgrade questions....

Hello.
Does anyone have a pic or know how the F-403 bulkhead attaches to the rest of the angle bracket. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if I can do a panel upgrade with a new F-403 WITHOUT removing F-421 (forward turtledeck). Thanks. Mat

I think what you are asking is if the panel can be replaced with the F-421 in place to maintain position for the new panel. The F-403 attaches to a manufactured (by the builder) curved angle (not sure what F- number and my plans are not handy) with rivets at the angle points (see the photograph). The panel would have to be drilled off and the new panel blank riveted to the angle. Leaving F-421 in place would make riveting difficult as you would need to buck those rivets. Once you have the old panel off, you could match the new panel blank with the old one to get an approximation as to where the rivet holes are located. Or use a few old hole positions for reference, then drill the new blank from forward to aft.

Does this help?

Smokey: what did your F-18 friend do to update his panel?

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 139
El Bandito Bueno!

Well, my RV4 (Bandit) tail kit arrived at my Misawa AB base house 34 years ago this week. Its current (former F18) veteran owner “Killer” has made quite a few improvements to the old girl.
Here’s an inflight pic, autopilot on staring at glass!
Mui Bueno Bandito!

V/R
Smokey

RV-4 panel

I previously posted a before and after panel picture but the photo links got deleted when my account got screwed up. If you don’t mind shopping around for used gear you can save quite a bundle. Took about 2-3 years of looking, researching, saving up cash and the panel wasn’t done all at once. The thing that really set off the instruments nicely is the carbon fiber wrap I used on the panel. I think it was 3M 1080 but can’t remember as it was quite a while ago and I don’t own the plane any more. Loved the -4 and IMO it flies better than the -8 I own now. Just couldn’t stand the tilt canopy and roasting in the hot Missouri summer even with a bracket to keep the canopy propped open.

Be frugal and patient and you can get a nice panel with a little work

IMG-0514.jpg

IMG-7373.jpg

Well, my RV4 (Bandit) tail kit arrived at my Misawa AB base house 34 years ago this week. Its current (former F18) veteran owner “Killer” has made quite a few improvements to the old girl.
Here’s an inflight pic, autopilot on staring at glass!
Mui Bueno Bandito!

V/R
Smokey

Kool. Since you sold the -4, what are you building or flying for fun now?

Following your advice Oly and being frugal & patient.
Planning the upgrade to this panel :)

I previously posted a before and after panel picture but the photo links got deleted when my account got screwed up. If you don’t mind shopping around for used gear you can save quite a bundle. Took about 2-3 years of looking, researching, saving up cash and the panel wasn’t done all at once. The thing that really set off the instruments nicely is the carbon fiber wrap I used on the panel. I think it was 3M 1080 but can’t remember as it was quite a while ago and I don’t own the plane any more. Loved the -4 and IMO it flies better than the -8 I own now. Just couldn’t stand the tilt canopy and roasting in the hot Missouri summer even with a bracket to keep the canopy propped open.

Be frugal and patient and you can get a nice panel with a little work

Attachments

• My RV-4.jpg
    My RV-4.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 34
Loved the -4 and IMO it flies better than the -8 I own now. Just couldn’t stand the tilt canopy and roasting in the hot Missouri summer even with a bracket to keep the canopy propped open.

The RV-4 tip-over canopy provides completely unobstructed visibility. It's the next best thing to a flying carpet. But it's not like the P-51, so who wants that? LOL..

Last edited:
RV-4 visibility

You sold the better flying airplane due to airflow while taxiing?!

The RV-4 tip-over canopy provides completely unobstructed visibility. It's the next best thing to a flying carpet.

Agreed completely! From the first time I lowered that canopy for my First Test Flight I was amazed at the visibility! Unobstructed in all directions, including the ability to see my rudder and elevators in my rear-view mirrors! My passengers are impressed as well. Very F-16-like! When I go flying, I find myself looking everywhere just to amaze myself with how well I can see!

I have only flown the -7 but think the -4 might be the best flying of them all! But I was born and raised on tandem seating. Tip of the Hat to -3 flyers!

I have a "taxi" position for my canopy and have never had problems with ventilation, especially with the fan running. I have two eyeball vents on the panel and good clearance with the canopy in taxi position and have never noticed it being uncomfortably hot, even in the humid Summers of East of the Mississippi. And I wear a helmet!

Give me the -4 ANY time! IMHO.....:cool::D

When I go flying, I find myself looking everywhere just to amaze myself with how well I can see!

The RV-4's bubble canopy is amazing. One thing I often see that is unfortunate is builders will often cut the canopy down as far as possible, to just short of hitting the rollover bar. I guess this makes the airplane a little "sleeker". But it's too bad because it makes the pilot sit way down low in the airplane and cuts off that fantastic view. I built mine leaving as much canopy material as I could so I could sit up as high as possible. This gives one the very best visibility.

Here’s the panel in my 4, nothing placard let, and beginning to embark on a wiring , and reinstall the rudder pedals.
Chris RV4 N1212R

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
This is a great thread for ideas about panel design and finish. Does anyone have photos of the panel installation from behind the panel? I am wondering about locating a few extra boxes, ie audio mixer, fuse panel, terminal strips, etc on a flat shelf. I have seen this done on other RV's but can't recall a "shelf" installed in a 4. It would be great to see a few. Attached is what I will be working with.

Attachments

• Panel final 012524.jpg
    Panel final 012524.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Bandit Upgrade

With all the OSH hubbub ongoing, small items of interest seemingly get lost in the shuffle. I missed this year due to relocating which would have been my 30th attendance. However, a great news story for me this week was the current owner of my first RV build DC “Killer” a former F18 driver shared a pic of “The Bandits” new panel. In a word, WOW! A big change from the Fly Market “very well loved” gauges previously installed back in 95’! He says an AP is in the works too!
V/R
Smokey

That is an extremely well designed and nice looking panel.

Bandit Upgrade

V/R
Smokey

That is a nice panel! How is that lettering done?

My completed panel, basic mix, neat functional & not too distracting👍 All glass to me takes away the reason why we fly these basic machines, look out the window and fly like you stole it😂

Attachments

• 1B726EFD-C1D8-463C-AB05-DDF694AF8596.jpeg
    1B726EFD-C1D8-463C-AB05-DDF694AF8596.jpeg
    949.1 KB · Views: 36
My completed panel, basic mix, neat functional & not too distracting👍 All glass to me takes away the reason why we fly these basic machines, look out the window and fly like you stole it😂
Man after my own thoughts!! 😊 A few things are different now. Update to follow soon............

Attachments

• img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Back