What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 Aerobatic mods

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Ok. So we all know that the RV4 is capable of some fairly credible aerobatics..... but looking to draw on experience here as to what mods anyone might have made in that regard ? I am aware of several but will allow the originators to post them here if they desire

So I " throw the floor open" and invite anyone to post any experience they have in this arena .....many thanks. Stew
PS ...Inverted fuel and oil are obvious but please share any experiences you might have

Last edited:
I wrote an article in the August 2016 EAA magazine on "Equipping Your RV for Aerobatics". You can find it in the EAA archives.

Any recommendations on which one? I’m thinking about installing one in my -8. Any risk of pulling out the attach points?

Hooker makes a very nice dual seatbelt with a ratchet. I fashioned a second attach point under the seat for the ratcheting belt.

Hooker makes a very nice dual seatbelt with a ratchet. I fashioned a second attach point under the seat for the ratcheting belt.

Thanks, Ron.

After a little digging, I found the thread in which you explain your second attach point. I’m afraid that may be a little more work than I’m comfortable with.
I did find another thread in which a different member used the same attach point for both belts.

I’m finding it very difficult to get my current harness tight enough for sustained inverted flight.

Thanks, Ron.

After a little digging, I found the thread in which you explain your second attach point. I’m afraid that may be a little more work than I’m comfortable with.
I did find another thread in which a different member used the same attach point for both belts.

I’m finding it very difficult to get my current harness tight enough for sustained inverted flight.

The problem with the stock attach point is that isn't located directly below your hips which makes it difficult to arrest upward movement of your body during negative G maneuvers. You are going to pay $500 for a dual ratcheting seat belt. My design for a second attach point costs less than $15 in supplies and maybe 8 hours of work. Are you serious about aerobatics?

The problem with the stock attach point is that isn't located directly below your hips which makes it difficult to arrest upward movement of your body during negative G maneuvers. You are going to pay $500 for a dual ratcheting seat belt. My design for a second attach point costs less than $15 in supplies and maybe 8 hours of work. Are you serious about aerobatics?

I am.
I’ll revisit your thread.
How is your design when not doing aerobatics? Did you find it to be obtrusive while cruising?

Back