What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman exhaust & mufflers

wcalvert

Well Known Member
Anyone running a setup similar to this:

-7 IO-360 Horizontal induction (fuel injected) with a Vetterman exhaust & mufflers?

Clint says the system is available, now looking for some subjective observation.

Thoughts on fit to cowl, exhaust stack fit, or any conflicts around the engine.

How is the heat? or the sound? noise level?

Or anyone running this setup with muffs instead?

Thanks for your comments.

Vettermen exhaust & mufflers

Hi Bill:

I have a Superior cold air intake with Vettermen's trombone exhaust system with mufflers. I have a James cowl and I had to put a slight bump out on the left side for clearance.

I have 360 hours on this set up now and I am very pleased with it. There have been no issues and the heat from the two mufflers keeps me nice and warm during winter flying.

Terry.

Anyone running a setup similar to this:

-7 IO-360 Horizontal induction (fuel injected) with a Vetterman exhaust & mufflers?

Clint says the system is available, now looking for some subjective observation.

Thoughts on fit to cowl, exhaust stack fit, or any conflicts around the engine.

How is the heat? or the sound? noise level?

Or anyone running this setup with muffs instead?

Thanks for your comments.

RV7, XIO-360-M1B, Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust, perfect fit.

ACtC-3euCrEdWrCX_Vn_FJ9-_S9f_ZjymTl1wB1i-qoGzmcgsuGq_tep3nGGP8O8R61sj6bOPnNvXWRq6bCqo6NhSmeAKFkCu9mTw9MsznJOx7eUq-hXHXopAkdZqyWLEBzTFXSueXWGdDltImoc-fj2aXHp=w1560-h878

I’ve got an IO-360 angle valve engine with horizontal induction. I have the Vetterman exhaust with the mufflers. It fits fine. I made my own exhaust hangers out of some scrap aluminum and Adele clamps. I have over 300 hours on it and everything is holding up with no cracks etc. I have no complaints with the entire setup. Anytime I take the cowl off, I put some mouse milk on the exhaust pipe flex joints. I’m running only one heat muff and it is more than enough but I live in the South and may not know what cold weather is. Hope that helps!

I have the Superior cold air sump with the Vetterman trombone exhaust with mufflers. The mufflers fit fine but as previously stated the front "loops" had to be adjusted for the James Cowl. I sent it back to Clint and he modified it so that it fits with no work on my cowl needed. I can't say it made the airplane any quieter... at least not in the cockpit but it might have helped for noise abatement.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-03 161013.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-03 161013.png
    728.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot 2020-09-03 161047.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-03 161047.png
    881.9 KB · Views: 284
Vetterman Trombone

Not flying yet.

IO-375 parallel valve.

Fit seems perfect, supported by AL and rubber tubes with one bracket and one Adel Clamp per side.
Small adjustments still needed though...

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for all the replies, and the pics are great.

Carlos in Az... Is that just a heat muff on your setup? How is the heat?

Another quick question:

Are the "Loops" on the fwd cylinders used on all of these setups?

I'm trying to use the stock Van's cowl without a lot of mods to accommodate any bends or bumps...

Anyone else ??!???

Back