What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polish burns

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
It was opening day this weekend for the Spring Polishing Season. Fortunately, I've compound polished the plane enough in the last few years that -- unless there's a specific scratch -- I don't bother doing much compounding.

Lately, I've been using California Custom Purple (always with the de-oxydizer) and then using the Cyclo with Nuvite F7 and then Grade S with a fleece cloth.

Anyway, I had used some painters tape to protect the stripes when I encountered a piece that was hard to get off . I'd neglected it before starting with the cyclo but there I was in the middle of cyclo'ing and I was picking at this tape.

While I was doing that, I lost focus on my cyclo work and while picking at the tape with one finger, I was holding the cyclo in place with the other.

So, of course, the aluminum got warm and burned.

I was subsequently able to get the "burn" out but here's my question: What's burning? The aluminum or the polish on the aluminum?

Aluminum would melt long before it would "burn." And the melting point is somewhere around 1200 F. In my opinion, what you were seeing was likely the pad material and/or polish.

Help me understand "burn"

Hi Bob,

There are a number of puzzles about polishing I haven't sorted out. I have had compounding turn to haze at times and not been able to figure out what caused it. Usually can't get it out without the cyclo.

That said, if you stayed too long in one spot with the cyclo, I can't see how you could possibly permanently damage the aluminum. I would suggest going over it fresh with F7 then S with the cyclo. And, I agree, a photo would help us understand the issue.

you can try to use 3000 wet sand paper on the burn and work hard after to bring it back to the shiny state, without burning it this time ; ) (ask to make all the polishing step again on the sanded surface but it worked for me several time for small burns )

Back