What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing the billet trim brackets

Jeffcc17

Hello,

I am working on the elevators and just got to the part where the trim bracket is located and drilled to the access plate. I purchased the RV10 Billet Trim Brackets from IFLYRV10.com. Any recommendations on how to attach the billet aluminum to the plate?

Also, does anyone know of an EAA Technical Counselor in the Charleston SC area? I called the closest EAA chapter ( actually not really close by car at all)with that service And have not heard anything back. I was hoping someone could look at my VS and rudder and make sure I am on the right track.

Jeff

Paid 2020 dues

tapping the bracket

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. If I tap the bracket, wont the screws loosen up and depart the aircraft because of vibration? Would screws through the bracket with locknuts work?

I am new at this so please correct me if this is a bad plan.

Jeff

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. If I tap the bracket, wont the screws loosen up and depart the aircraft because of vibration? Would screws through the bracket with locknuts work?

Jeff

I think it's a bad plan. It will be very hard (maybe not even possible) to get your fingers behind the bracket to hold the nut when putting the cover back on when you do an inspection.

Hello,

Jeff

I tapped mine, but a long way from flying. I will inspect them , if they loosen I'll so something different.

I riveted them in place. Screws with stop nuts would also work.

If you remove the screws attaching the trim servo assembly to the tailcone, you can get enough slack in the elevator trim cables so you can put the access plate on and off and install or adjust the trim cables without too much trouble.

Back