- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM

yes I have it and thanks for asking.

Called Aircraft Spruce and they emailed it over right away,

Thanks again.
The blood that squirts from your finger after you run a #40 drill bit into it is proof that your still alive.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Default Questions for g3xpert

I?ve got dual G430s (non-WAAS) on my panel feeding my GRT WS EFIS system. I?m thinking about upgrading one 430 to the 355 navigator.

1. Will the 355 comm/navigator fit into the same slot as my old 430 (dimension wise)?
2. What wiring changes are required for the upgrade?
3. I have the TruTrac 385 A/P installed. Will this A/P play well with the 355?
4. What other considerations should I take into account in making this decision (ie navigation database updates, etc)?
5. Will the 355 cross feed navigation routing to the remaining 430 via the cross-fill function?

Thanks for your response.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Default Flight Logs on a GNX-375?

Quick question for the G3Xpert team (or whoever may know): Does the 375/175 have the flight log capability that 396 and x96 units have (shown in the photo below). It?s a feature I?ve used to catch up my flight logs when I?ve been lazy about recording Hobbs times. I?ve scoured the pilot guide and pushed just about every button to find a ?flights? record, but have come up empty so far. Does it exist in these units? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Bob

President/Sport 47/49, Sport Class Air Racing
President, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Flight Lead, Lightning Formation Airshows
Old 03-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Default GNX 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmills View Post
Quick question for the G3Xpert team (or whoever may know): Does the 375/175 have the flight log capability that 396 and x96 units have (shown in the photo below). It?s a feature I?ve used to catch up my flight logs when I?ve been lazy about recording Hobbs times. I?ve scoured the pilot guide and pushed just about every button to find a ?flights? record, but have come up empty so far. Does it exist in these units? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

Neither the GNX 375 or GPS 175 record a flight log like the GPSMAP 396 series units do.

Our newer portable units like the Aera 660 do have this capability however.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 PM

Location: Zuerich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...
Default ICAO flight plan filing re equipment?

Ok g3xperts, next question... sporting dual G5, a GNX375, and a GTR225A only... which Aircraft COM, NAV, and Approach Equipment Qualifiers do I need to enter in order to correctly complete and file an ICAO flight plan?

Thanks

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Tankerpilot,

Like you, I've thought about upgrading my single 430 to a GNC355 because of maybe needing LPV capability and concern about future support. I finally decided not to upgrade.

Here's why:

I understand how to use my 430. In your case you would need to understand both a 430 and a 355. They are similar but different. You can download the simulator and see for yourself.

You can upgrade a 430 to WAAS and the only external change is the GPS antenna and perhaps the coax. That's simpler than the wiring changes needed to install a 355. The depth and width are about the same but the 355 is not as tall, so a spacer is needed or you may need to move everything in your avionics stack to fill the vertical space.

Garmin has stated they are continuing to support GNS navigators.

You have dual GRT EFIS as do I. A 355 has much better graphics than a 430, but I display maps, weather and traffic on my GRT where the display is much larger than my 430 or a 355.

I really don't fly much actual IFR and I fly a lot of trips to one destination. That destination does not have a LPV approach. My home field is grass with no approaches and the closest airport to me is an air carrier field with ILS, VOR and GPS approaches. So my 430 gives me the capability I need.

I can purchase inexpensive database updates for my 430 and they are not serial number dependent so I can share a subscription with another owner. I don't believe that is the case with a 355.

It is less expensive to upgrade a 430 than to purchase a 355 and the prices of 430's are dropping so hopes of selling it to make up the difference are dwindling.

Just my thoughts, I hope they are useful.

Jim Butcher
Old 03-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Should the GNX 175 send frequencies to the Garmin 225? It looks like it should according to the manuals, but the frequencies don't seem to do anything on the 175 when touched, and I don't see an option to "send".

175 configured for Aviation output 1 on serial 3, and 225 configured for aviation in.

Thanks.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Thanks Jim Butcher

Thanks Jim. I was beginning to think no one wanted to reply to my questions.

I?m now leaning towards keeping what I?ve got - at least right now. I?ve been talking to a local avionics shop that periodically does GPS upgrade installs and hopefully a used 430W may become available at a reasonable price from one of their customers. The swap out would be much easier and I could then sell my 430 non-WAAS to someone at a reasonable price. Anyway that?s my current thinking.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Default GNC 355 Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I?ve got dual G430s (non-WAAS) on my panel feeding my GRT WS EFIS system. I?m thinking about upgrading one 430 to the 355 navigator.

1. Will the 355 comm/navigator fit into the same slot as my old 430 (dimension wise)?
2. What wiring changes are required for the upgrade?
3. I have the TruTrac 385 A/P installed. Will this A/P play well with the 355?
4. What other considerations should I take into account in making this decision (ie navigation database updates, etc)?
5. Will the 355 cross feed navigation routing to the remaining 430 via the cross-fill function?

Thanks for your response.
The most significant advantage of the GNC 355 over the GNS 430 is the ability to fly RNAV approaches to LPV minimums.

The GNC 355 is a bit smaller than the GNS 430. You would need to install a new rack and connector for the GNC 355. The chassis of the GNS 430 is 0.64 inches taller with a similar width, although the GNC 355 screen is 1 inch larger with significantly higher resolution and readability.

The installation manual for that autopilot provides guidance for GNS 430W's and GTN 650's, The interface would likely be very similar to these two, although we have not tested this combination of equipment ourselves. You would want to reach out to the manufacturer of the autopilot to be sure.

There will be wiring changes. Without knowing a whole lot about the aircraft or the EFIS in the aircraft, it is hard to give you much of an idea about what wiring changes would be needed. Existing ARINC 429 and RS232 lines can probably be re-purposed to be used with the GNC 355, but you would need to confirm all connections pin for pin upon installation.

At this time, the GNS 430 and GNC 355 do not cross-fill flight plan information.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 PM

Default Trutrak Sorcerer autopilot - Garmin G3X

I?m currently operating at Trutrak Sorcerer autopilot system with a Chelton system. I?m shopping to upgrade my panel with a G3X and G5 along with a Garmin GPS 175 on an RV10.

I?ve sent an email to G3xpert but wonder if anyone is using a Trutrak Sorcerer with a Garmin G3X season system? Wondering if there are limitations?

Currently flying a RV10.

Jim Folck
RV7A-Sold
RV10-3 years & 300 Hours!