What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 canopy question

fiberglass problems. first attempt in doing the initial filler, micro balloons on the canopy . resin fired up in 15 minutes. using west systems, 206 harder, micro balloons horrible results. scrapped it off . Temperature at 88F. Help?

Small batches last longer, curing epoxy makes heat which speeds up the cure and the more epoxy in the cup, the less time you have.

Get some 205 hardener.

At 88 deg F., using 206 will be a challenge doing the rest of the fiberglass work as well.

Scott, I think 205 is actually a faster hardener, so switching to 205 wouldn't be a good idea in this case.

When I'm mixing up a large batch of West System epoxy, I find it helps to mix it quickly in a cup and then immediately get it spread out over a larger surface. This keeps it from getting hot and gives you a lot more working time. Depending on the application, sometimes I dump it out on the part and get it spread out roughly, then come back and spend more time with the squeegee (aka old credit card) moving it around to the final thickness desired. Alternatively, I sometimes dump it on a paper plate or piece of cardboard to spread it out and keep it cool, then transfer it little by little to the part. As long as you get it out of the cup quickly and spread out to a thickness of about 1/2" or less you'll have more time to work with it.

Mix by weight. Their little pumps aren't all that accurate. If it's been sitting for a few weeks, some of the resin/hardener will dribble out the spout, while some more will creep back down the tube, and your ratio for the first few squirts can be off by quite a bit.

Like others said, mix very small batches to prevent runaway self-heating. There's no harm adding a fresh batch on top--there are active bonds on the surface for many hours after it's hard to the touch.

Mix by weightThere's no harm adding a fresh batch on top--there are active bonds on the surface for many hours after it's hard to the touch.

The main caution here is that it can be difficult to get the same ratio of epoxy to micro balloons from batch to batch. And if you don't, it will tend to sand unevenly because you'll have different densities in each batch. I haven't tried mixing in micro by weight (I usually just mix it in until I get the desired consistency) but it can probably be done with an accurate scale.

Scott, I think 205 is actually a faster hardener, so switching to 205 wouldn't be a good idea in this case.

When I'm mixing up a large batch of West System epoxy, I find it helps to mix it quickly in a cup and then immediately get it spread out over a larger surface. This keeps it from getting hot and gives you a lot more working time. Depending on the application, sometimes I dump it out on the part and get it spread out roughly, then come back and spend more time with the squeegee (aka old credit card) moving it around to the final thickness desired. Alternatively, I sometimes dump it on a paper plate or piece of cardboard to spread it out and keep it cool, then transfer it little by little to the part. As long as you get it out of the cup quickly and spread out to a thickness of about 1/2" or less you'll have more time to work with it.

Woooppps.

You of course are correct. I meant 209 but my typing brain went the faster direction.

Thanks fella's i am off to the store for some 209 and will include the other suggestions as well. Yesterday the temp was 88F today 58F! what a change>
thanks. TT

Back