What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Egress Handle

Mech1

This handle is a good idea. It is incorporated on the 12 iS. I would like to try to install on an existing 12. Anyone attempt this? Vans will sell the parts but have not come up with retro kit with a plan. Thanks

Take a look at pages 29iS/U-10 and 11 from the RV-12iS fuselage plans. They show how and where the egress handle attaches to the upper forward fuselage skin. It isn?t complicated, but you?ll have to be very careful to correctly position the ribs that support the handle. The iS skin has prepunched holes, making this easy, but those holes don?t exist in the first generation RV-12 skin.

The two optional autopilot knob panels for the legacy 12 get in the way.

I purchased the egress handle parts last year and am still trying to figure a way to make the work. No joy so far, but I have not given up.

I have a legacy 12.

-Dave

I retrofitted the new egress handle to my RV-12 using page 29iSU-10 in th KAI.

Here is the list of parts I used:

Hardware
2- MS 21055LO8 nut plates
4- AN 426 AD 3-4 rivets
4- LP 4-3 rivets
14- CS 4-4 rivets

Vans Parts
1- F00078 Handle Weldment
1- F00077-L rib
1- F00077-R rib
1- F12133 (used for template only, cut to clear installed items on the panel)

Here are a few pictures of the process. The F12133 is trimmed and used as a template for drilling the mounting holes for the handle weldment, and cutting the slot in the instrument panel for the egress handle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q3NwYMmENGVpeHfW9

Last edited:
The two optional autopilot knob panels for the legacy 12 get in the way.

I purchased the egress handle parts last year and am still trying to figure a way to make the work. No joy so far, but I have not given up.

I have a legacy 12.

-Dave

I've got the legacy -12, too. My plan is to fabricate extender harnesses and relocate the A/P knob panels to the right panel.

I can't take credit for this design. Alex Erdelyi did an amazing job building this airplane. This is how he laid out the handles, they work well like this.

50521766653_7b766e0f91_c.jpg

Last edited:
I can't take credit for this design. Alex Erdelyi did an amazing job building this airplane. This is how he laid out the handles, they work well like this.

That's an elegant solution, indeed! It would save me having to replace the center panel among other troublesome details. Can you put me in touch with Mr Erdelyi?

Thanks,
-dbh

Back