What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attitudes towards flight test

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Hopefully this thread won't get moderated into the trash...

There has been a plane under construction in Georgia for the past four years, sort of like a pressurized Velocity with power from an Audi turbo-diesel although it is an entirely new design. Wasabi Flight Test has been hired to do the first flight, and their careful, methodical preparations for first flight are worth observing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnEknj242M

In the RV world, we don't have all the uncertainties that this plane has, but there are plenty of uncertainties in the first flight of any airplane, even a "stock" RV -- if there is such a thing. And the psychology of the builder in contrast to the psychology of the test pilots still applies -- "get there-itis" in flight has an analogous "get it into the air" attitude.

I watched this just yesterday. As I am getting close to flight (couple of months) it was good to look into the minds of test pilots instead of the builder. I have also been following the Raptor build for years now on Peters channel and I can certainly understand his desire to just get it flying. Tough relationship for sure.

flight testing

Totally agree - the guy is smart enough to get an "independent" external team to help him, not sure of the details of how they got involved, but it will most certainly add to the chances of success. They seem to be pretty serious, which is exactly what you want - not a cheerleader.

Just watched this last night; as mentioned above, this is a very different test-flying regime from us RV builders, but I was really interested in seeing the nuts and bolts.

I'll say that I've been highly skeptical of the Raptor project from the start, and remain so (in terms of promises vs deliverables), but I applaud Peter for the commitment to heavily involve Wasabi, warts and all.

I too watched that last night. Very interesting watching the thought and action process of flight testing professionals. To stay more RV related Sean also has done test flights for the RV. Look for Alex Russell's "preying mantis" RV-7 test flights under Sean's Utoob channel he did in October 2019.

Met Elliot Sequin a few times. We were both waiting for weather at KAPV. He was heading down to do some testing on a new Mooney. He is the most down to earth guy. A pleasure to talk to.

To keep it RV related, he checked out my plane:D

Raptor

Watched the video and a couple of others on the raptor and wasabi flight test. Very revealing!! Obviously some scar tissue from past flight testing in the Wasabi camp. But they are doing it right and attempting to have configuration control and build on carefully expanding the envelope with a known configuration. Important comments :(1) no high speed taxi tests if any damaged or compromised airframe components. (2) comment at the end of the video about loading the gun and hoping the child doesnt point it at his face.
The owner doing high speed taxi tests in shorts,tee shirt, no helmet, no gloves doesnt bode well for a paved surface departure or a fire. (8/14 video) Situations like this where there is a strong desire from the owner to cut corners and press on regardless have a tendency to end badly. Always much easier to cancel the takeoff than the landing. This is something best watched from a distance.
As I start thinking about getting prepared for first flight of my RV-7A the idea of having someone that has been through test pilot school at the helm is very firmly in mind.
KT

Last edited:
Back