What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Elevator Trim Wheel

The autopilots will automatically trim .. not sure why you would want to do this, seems like it limits the airplane's ability. The electric trim is reliable.

I have a F33A bonanza with both an electric and manual trim wheel for the elevator. I use the manual trim wheel 99% of the time to make small trim changes. This is much easier for me than trying to use the electric trim as it seems that I invariably go to far one way or the other when trimming for level flight. The wheel is easy and accurate.

To answer your question, I don't know of any one using a manual elevator trim or if the required parts are readily available.

The electric elevator trim in a RV could be tricky but with the many modern gadgets to slow down the trim speed based on aircraft speed, it has made it much user friendly. The added benefits are that your auto pilot can also uses it and hopefully it can be tied to your flap to set the trim automatically.

Everyone agrees, standard trim speed is about right for take off/landing but too fast for cruise. There are devices like Safety Trim that will slow it down based on airspeed. I use my Trio autopilot knob, which can control the electric trim even when the servos are not engaged. You can program the trim speed vs airspeed. It?s *almost* the same feel as manual trim, with the amount of trim proportional to how many clicks you move the knob, independent of time.

Your avionics system may include the ability to set trim rates based on airspeeds you specify. Garmin does and I think Dynon does as well. You can also define max run times which will minimize the impact of a trim runaway.

Probably not as fine-tuned as a manual wheel but I would think pretty close.

I was planning to do the thing for the same reason: too sensitive at cruise.

The manual trim for the -9 along with the tabs and connections would work on the -14 but after ordering the parts I decided to stay with the electric but I'm sure it would have worked, just a lot of bother and the large trim adjustments during flap deployment and takeoff (if you neglect to properly set t/o trim) would be a hassle

Last edited:
Back