What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14a in Single Car Garage - build size?

- Poindexter -

Well Known Member
Planning on building an RV-14a in my single car garage (hey, it's what I have!).
The inner garage dimensions are 10'2" wide and 20'4" long. The good news is that doors open on both ends.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DWHP2GrDkjGtLQKU9

I can store finished items off-site (ie-wings), but would like to do as much build as possible so I don't have to schlepp 40 minutes to the airport. I would like to finish the avionics and engine before doing the final-final at the airport.

I searched and only found the overall length (~21'). Wanted to see if I can do the build with the engine in my space by removing the tail, and if there is enough room? At least the view is excellent if I need a break:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RC3brVmYrJq6MTHM7

Absolutely, as long as you're willing to store completed assemblies elsewhere.

During the months while you're building the primary structure, nothing will be more than about 15' long, so you'll be able to walk around both ends. Once you bolt on the engine, you'll need to stick the aft end of the fuselage in a corner so you can walk around the front to work on the project.

If you can leave a door or doors open while you're actually working on it, it'll probably help some.

The hardest part will be assembling the empennage to test fit and adjust. But that could be done on a nice day with tail sticking out or you can work under / over. Also you?ll have to carefully arrange work benches, tools etc especially after joining tailcone and fuse to efficiently work on assemblies. But it can be made to work.

A single car garage is fine for all phases of construction up to putting on tail feathers and wings. I had a two car garage but my wife insisted on parking her car in one.

I build in a very similarly sized structure (I think mine is a little longer). It works perfectly. Well maybe that isn't the best word, effectively is probably better. :D You will have no problems with that size, it gets tight at times but it's definitely no big deal.

My garage is 22' 4". Without the empennage, it fit in 20' with the engine prop and spinner and on the gear.

Here is a link to an image in my work area. I have a two and a half car garage but one car was mostly always parked in the garage. I also have shelving along the wall that restricted me to about a ten foot width for working.

http://n626km.com/rv14log019/large-112.html

I love it! Building an RV in Muir beach!

That is going to be a lot of salt air on your build.

Let me know when you start up I want to come see.

I love it! Building an RV in Muir beach!

LOL:rolleyes: I was going to come over and measure your rotisserie project, BUT you?re currently wining and dining across Europe!

Thanks for everyone?s feedback. The neighbors, tourists, salt air will be minor- compared to my wife?s snarky comments.;)

Back