What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

26-17 question

salto

Well Known Member
Building a TG and on pg 26-17 it describes a F-00016 bracket that according to the plans is for tri gear only.
It looks like from a TG point of view the only function it would have is to hold up a couple of nutplates. Not trying to out guess the engineering wizards here but the TG has no step so is the bracket superfluous? It is quite heavy.
The bracket has been supplied and I am happy to send back.
F-01495 brackets sit close and may be all that is required for rigidity.
Thanks, I brace myself for Scott's reply!

Adding this bracket after the build is complete would basically impossible unless the fuselage was extensively disassembled.
It was incorporated as a standard part for both models to standardize the QB fuselage build to be gender neutral so to speak, but more so, so that a step could be added to either model at any time.
The RV-14 is a big airplane (when compared to an RV-6 anyway) and it sits quite high. We think there is a high probability that some builders will want some type of step even on the TW version. Developing a slightly shorter step for use on the TW airplane has been discussed.

So it is builders choice. If you are sure you will never want a step, you could leave them out and save a little weight.
Even though we are obsessive/compulsive about trying to remove all weight possible, we felt it was a worthwhile trade off to build it in to both versions.

Brackets F-00016

Happy New Year to you Scott and thanks for the reply.vertically challenged fellow aviators would appreciate the option.
Could the plans be amended to reflect this please?
I don't know what others think but the plans are in conflict with your explanation.
In preparing the belly skin for TG variant it says to fill that brackets bottom skin attach bracket holes with rivets which comprises the F-00016 security.
Thanks.

Happy New Year to you Scott and thanks for the reply.vertically challenged fellow aviators would appreciate the option.
Could the plans be amended to reflect this please?
I don't know what others think but the plans are in conflict with your explanation.
In preparing the belly skin for TG variant it says to fill that brackets bottom skin attach bracket holes with rivets which comprises the F-00016 security.
Thanks.

Sorry, but you now have me totally confused.

All the steps on the page you reference say for tri gear only. If you are building a tail gear (I assume that is what you mean by TG, but here up North it could also mean Tri Gear.... we usually refer to the other version as a TD Tail Dragger), I don't know why you would be asking why I should put these heavy parts in? It says for Tri Gear only.

I explained why they could be put in for a tail dragger, and that all QB fuselages will have them, but that it is not necessary.

If they are left out (on a tail dragger) there is a different cover plate that will be installed over the openings in the baggage compartment, that do not have the two screw holes (for the nutplates you referenced) in them.

So, I guess I am now not at all clear what you question actually is.

Are you asking whether you should still put in the parts that the plans say not to put in?

Tail Dragger

Sorry Scott TD is correct. I guess my query was made because the fittings were supplied (F-00016).
You have explained why, it's just that the plans don't.
A simple statement in the plans along the lines of your explanation would give everyone a heads up on a possible option of a step if required in the future.

A decision was made to put the parts in all kits to make sure everyone got them, and because they were going to be sent to be built into all QB fuselage kits.
It can be a logistical nightmare to try and make a certain part go into a kit only sometimes.
I will submit the suggestion to list it as optional for TD builders.

Back