What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14, RV-10 Landing Gear?

AlinNS

Well Known Member
Can anyone educate me (won't take much) on the landing gear on the RV14?

I'm not interested, at the moment, in a tailwheel/tricycle debate just particulars such as:

1. Does the 14 in fact have the exact same landing gear as the 10?

2. I think I read somewhere that the taildragger 14 has different main gear than the nose gear 14. Not just the placement but different materials used? and;

3. I can find precious little regarding the landing gear on the 14/14A. Is a direct comparison to the 10 appropriate?

Thanks for any help.

The RV-14A does not use RV-10 nose or main gear. The main gear on the -14A is flat leaf spring type. The initial design nose gear used a torsion rod arrangement for suspension, the production version uses elastomer doughnut (Mooney parts) for suspension. I was told by Vans that this is very similar to a -10 nose gear, but not the same part.

The tailwheel -14 will have tapered rod main gear.

Can anyone educate me (won't take much) on the landing gear on the RV14?

I'm not interested, at the moment, in a tailwheel/tricycle debate just particulars such as:

1. Does the 14 in fact have the exact same landing gear as the 10?

2. I think I read somewhere that the taildragger 14 has different main gear than the nose gear 14. Not just the placement but different materials used? and;

3. I can find precious little regarding the landing gear on the 14/14A. Is a direct comparison to the 10 appropriate?

Thanks for any help.

1. No. Nose gear is similar but still different.

2. Main gear are totally different between the two.

3. No

So why is the main gear designed differently between a 14 and 14A?

Is this typical of all RVs?

Thanks.

My guess is that they used flat spring main gear on the -14A for two reasons, one: to eliminate gear shimmy/wobble two: they had enough room in the spar carry through area to pull it off.

The angle of the main gear on the tail wheel model does not allow a flat leaf. To install a flat leaf gear it would have to installed farther aft which would require internal structure in the fuselage to support it (think gear towers) and that would take up cockpit space and add weight.

14, 10 nose gear

Now that it has been established that the nose wheels are different on the 14 to the 10, can any one tell me if the 14 will handle the additional; weight of a io540 ?. Its bound to happen if there isn't one being built as we speak.

Paul

Now that it has been established that the nose wheels are different on the 14 to the 10, can any one tell me if the 14 will handle the additional; weight of a io540 ?. Its bound to happen if there isn't one being built as we speak.

Paul

To play devil's advocate for a moment.....

From a CG perspective or from an engineering perspective to handle all the various stress issues that it may be subjective to? For example what happens in a hard landing with the extra weight to the landing gear.

I suspect you won't get an answer from Van's and nobody else has that engineering data.

If somebody does it, they will truly be experimenting.........

RV-14A

Al,

Thanks for pointing out this thread to me over on the RV-10 discussion page.

I've decided to go with the RV-14A.
1) It's likely that less than 10% percent of my flying will be from grass runways.
2) I figure my insurance will be somewhat less expensive. (I have no tail wheel time currently.)
3) It seems there are plenty of RV-10 owners (posting in the other thread) that have many hours operating off of grass and have had no issues as of yet.
4) For me, it's time to stop sweating the small stuff and start building!!

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg.

Yep, time for me to get started too. Pretty sure I'll be going with the 14A also.

This is how I got to this decision:

1. I really like the looks of the RV7 and that was my plan. While making up my mind and reading about RVs, I got the impression that IF there is a weak part of these aircraft it is the nose gear. Right or wrong that is the opinion that I formed. Although I have much more experience with nose gear aircraft, in this case (RV7) I felt more comfortable with the taildragger;

2. Then the RV14(A) fuselages became available and I started to realize this would suit me better. It would surely have a robust nose gear as I had it in my head it was the same as the RV10 gear. Done deal: RV14A. Then that post about the RV10 nose gear by what appears to be a very experienced RV builder, got me questioning myself again.

Expecting to drop what will be approaching 100K with this company, I felt it only fair to ask for comments here first, knowing full well that the company has a presence here in some form. Of course with so few people with the fuselage, there is limited information.

The credit card will get hit with the tools next week. Then whacked with the RV14A wings next month. I wanted to build the tail first because it would look cool hanging in the great room while doing the rest of the build:rolleyes:. By the time I get to the tail, I hope that there will be some more folks that can give impressions of the nose gear on the 14A.

As always, happy to hear other's thoughts...

Last edited:
Al, my decision making process and reasoning for choosing the RV-14A was almost identical to what you descirbed. It was a tough choice between the -7 and the -14A. The design of the -14A nose gear is obviously stronger than that of a -7A, -8A or -9A but how strong is it, and how much abuse will it take? I am sure the future will tell. What is different about the -10 and -14A nose gear? Is it just different dimensionally, or is it made of thinner wall/lighter tubing? Switching from a small diameter, fixed, spring steel rod to a design similar to other free castering nose gear designs used in certified aircraft should fix the issues with the previous A model nose gear. The flat spring main gear will also be a nice improvement.

I called Vans and talked to one of the techs that works in the prototype shop and asked him a buch of questions prior to ordering my kit. I recommend you give them a call and discuss any concearns you have with the -14A nose gear.

Last edited:
I think the more you learn about the -14 the more you will realize that while a -7 is a great airplane, the -14 is a nicer, more refined and stronger aircraft. After receiving my kits and studying the drawings I have no doubt that I made the right choice for me. Now warm up that credit card and let's get going! You are missing out on a lot of fun!

Al, I don't know if your interested but I have my wings and tail completed here in Sou-west Nova if your interested in a visit.
Ron

Hey Ron!

Heck yeah I'm interested... I've been reading some of your posts so I knew that you were in the area. Been hoping you'd offer!

What is the best way to get in touch?

Thanks.

I think the more you learn about the -14 the more you will realize that while a -7 is a great airplane, the -14 is a nicer, more refined and stronger aircraft. After receiving my kits and studying the drawings I have no doubt that I made the right choice for me. Now warm up that credit card and let's get going! You are missing out on a lot of fun!

Hey Mike.

If you look way way up North East tonight and see a slight glow, it is my credit card still warm after ordering the tools for an RV14A build. :D

Back