What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Ergonomics

AlinNS

Well Known Member
So I'm just trying to decide between electric or manual elevator trim on the RV7 tail I'm about to order when I notice that the RV14 fuselage is now available. I do a bit more reading about the RV14 and now @#%$ I find myself looking further into the 14. When I dismissed the 14, and focused on the 7 over a year ago, there wasn't much info about it.

Does anyone have any comments on differences in the cockpit regarding comfort, ingress/egress, visibility, etc compared to the RV7?

From what I can see we are talking about 3" wider and 2" longer in the cockpit and less fuselage between the bottom of the canopy and the top of the wing in the 14. Anything to add to this?

Understandably, there are not many people who have sat in both but it would be nice to hear any comments from those who have.

Thanks for any help.

RV-14

The RV-14 is much like a RV-10 as far as entry/exit and seating. Sit in a 10, imagine a canopy overhead and only 2 seats and you will have a feel for the 14.
I have seat time in a 14.
(I have a 6A and a 10)

I just sat in the RV-14 yesterday. The fuselage sides are much lower where you step over and in from the wing. That alone makes it easier to get in and out of the cabin and also gives you improved visibility from the seat out over the wings. It seemed to me that the cabin width is not too significantly wider than the RV7/9, but it does feel more spacious.

Actually I don't think there is much similarity between the seating in the RV-14 and the RV-10 (other than they both have more room than the 6, 7 and 9.
In the RV-10 the seat bottom is higher off the floor so you feel more like sitting in a chair (as far as leg extension goes), vs the RV-14, where your legs are a bit more extended out in front of you. Entry and exit are also quite different because of the door on the RV-10 making it more of a slide into the seat from the side action than the stepping down in as done in all the other side by side RV's

From what I can see we are talking about 3" wider and 2" longer in the cockpit and less fuselage between the bottom of the canopy and the top of the wing in the 14.

This pretty much defines the differences (though there is also more head room). The lower cockpit sides makes getting in and out a bit easier because of the lower step over height, and the lower side rail makes it easier to use it as a hand hold to lift your self up out of the seat when egressing.

Actually I don't think there is much similarity between the seating in the RV-14 and the RV-10 (other than they both have more room than the 6, 7 and 9.
In the RV-10 the seat bottom is higher off the floor so you feel more like sitting in a chair (as far as leg extension goes), vs the RV-14, where your legs are a bit more extended out in front of you. Entry and exit are also quite different because of the door on the RV-10 making it more of a slide into the seat from the side action than the stepping down in as done in all the other side by side RV's

Right on.

I was surprised about how hard I found it getting into the 14-------my natural actions were to try getting in like I do with my 10, and that is just not correct for a 14. Big difference it the tipup canopy--------there is nothing to hold onto like in the 10. And what Scott said about the seat height :eek:

That being said, it is a lot easier to enter than a 7/9 tipper.

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't considered the effect of the canopy on the fuselage width. That makes sense. Yep, I'm a fair size at 240lbs, 6'2", and wide across the shoulders. Approx how much more headroom provided by the bigger canopy?

Regarding seating. Sounds like the angle at the knees is somewhere between a 10 (like a chair) but more than a 7 (legs straighter) is that correct?

I've read about this A/C not leaving much room for customizing. I'm not a fan of the throttle up in front of me near the instrument panel for a few different reasons. Any thoughts on putting it between the seats?

Thanks again.

I would not say that there is "not room for customization" in the RV-14. It may be more accurate to say that if you build it per the drawings there is not much that you have to "engineer" such as, "where do I drill the holes for the engine control cables, and which cables should I use". Builders still have the option of building it "thier way" and can exclude any parts from a sub-kit when they order it. It would be just as easy to install a throttle quadrant between the seats in the -14 as it would in any other model.

My wife and I aren't large people (I'm 5'9" 170lb wife is 5'5" 120lb). We are used to flying an -8 and have never sat in a side x side RV till this year at OSH. My wife thinks she would like the side by side seating vs tandem someday.

Looking at the extra space and how high the fuselage sides come up on the -7 compared to the -14, I can make this odd comparison (keep in mind my only RV time is in an -8):

The -14 felt similar to sitting in the front seat of the -8. Sitting in the -7, I felt like I was sitting in the back seat of the -8. Both left plenty of room to be comfortable, but the -7 felt like I was down in a hole vs sitting up. I didn't really like the fuse bulkhead right at my shoulder in the -7.

gotta try both to know

...and by that, I think flying in both a 7/9 and 14 would obviously be the best.
I have a -9a slider, and have sat in the 14 in Van's hangar. ( wheeee!)
My first impression; " Wow, THIS is how the -9 SHOULDA been. I can see down, I can move around, and I'm not banging my head on the canopy!" I like to haul alotta stuff, and the baggage area looked like I could nicely fill it to the top!
It didn't seem to take any contortions to get in, while dealing with the tipup, which I'm not used to.
Seems there's just that extra inch or two everywhere. Now will this disappear with time? Probably. ( Hence the RV-16 .....coming soon! hahhhahahaaaaaaaaaa!)

I'm struck at how even a 9A slider has so much better forward visibility than a Cessna 172. The glare shield is set so high on the Cessna!

Visibility in the 14 is outstanding

My wife and I flew the 14 at Vans in Aurora Oregon. After flying our Piper Cherokee 180 for years this 14 's view seemed like we were flying a helicopter! That was only one part of our surprise and decision to buy, but a clear view choice. Your looking straight ahead at the world NOT the panel!:D

Tail Kit On The Way

Well, thanks to all who have responded to my posts/questions.

As a result:

RV14A Tail Kit 140180 shipped today and is on it's way to "very" rural Nova Scotia.:D

After getting a ride in a 9A, I'm leaning much more towards a 14A now ... In principle I like most things about it except maybe the price :p

I'd like to see one in person first though, if not fly in one, so I'm going to wait a little while longer ...

The welcome may be a little premature, but thanks anyways :)

Gotta get to trying out my skills on Van's demo projects first!

Mike, Jim. Thanks. Really looking forward to getting started.

I'll register on the "serial #" thread when the tail arrives in three to four weeks.

In the meantime, lots of new tools to figure out!

Back