What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

11-05 step 3 riveting

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi group,

I'm on to 11-05 step 3 where I am to rivet the 3 nutplates to the face of the spar at the root. The distance is great enough where I cannot use my squeezer.

This will be my first use of the rivet gun and was just looking for some tips. Did you find it easier to turn the spar on its side at this point? Also, found a tip to put a piece of tape over the set to prevent any marring.

Looking for some tips, planning on tackling this Sunday. Thanks! :eek:

First, stop right there and get some help from your local EAA chapter!

If you mess up those rivets and then mess up drilling them out, you will be buying a new spar.

Also, the air pressure is VERY important.

Here is a table that is a nice guide on how to set your air pressure. You will need to experiment some before pulling the trigger on your expensive spar.

I always kept some hardware store aluminum around my shop that I would cut up into pieces to teach people how to rivet. After they set about 10, drill out five, and reset them, they are usually good to go.

Best of luck!

Tom,
Based on what it sounds like you are saying in this thread (I could be reading it all wrong though), I feel compelled to repeat a piece of advice I posted to one of your other threads.

Never use your kit parts (especially the wing spar) to learn how to do a process you don't have experience with. If that is what you are doing, I can just about guaranty a day is coming that you will make a heart breaking and expensive mistake.
Based on a lot of the posts you have made, it sounds like you have never had any one on one help from anyone, to help you learn the basic processes and the use of the different tools, and that you are just kind of winging it on your own.

Not saying that you won't be successful (some people have been), but I recommend that you follow Bills advice and hook up with some experienced builders in your area.

Tom,
Based on what it sounds like you are saying in this thread (I could be reading it all wrong though), I feel compelled to repeat a piece of advice I posted to one of your other threads.

Never use your kit parts (especially the wing spar) to learn how to do a process you don't have experience with. If that is what you are doing, I can just about guaranty a day is coming that you will make a heart breaking and expensive mistake.
Based on a lot of the posts you have made, it sounds like you have never had any one on one help from anyone, to help you learn the basic processes and the use of the different tools, and that you are just kind of winging it on your own.

Not saying that you won't be successful (some people have been), but I recommend that you follow Bills advice and hook up with some experienced builders in your area.

Thanks for your response. I always practice on scrap first and have had some in person training and help. I was simply looking for a little advice on doing the actual riveting.

Hi Tom where in Tampa do you live? I live at Causeway and 301 blvd. by the Brandon mall. I'm just finishing my RV6A build after over 8 years of building. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Bill

Back