What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Aileron Trim

Blizzard

How are the stick forces in roll affected by the springs attached to the pushrods? Without the trim springs attached the ailerons seemed to move effortlessly. After attaching them the force required to displace the ailerons is significantly more. The wings are not attached yet. Was just wondering how the ailerons felt while hand flying the plane with the aileron trim system installed?

Thanks

Not noticeable in flight. I was used to the 6 and the ailerons in the 10 feel like a truck compared to them. In flight, I would not characterize the aileron feel as light. While I have not flown without the trim, I can't imagine you would feel the difference.

Don't get me wrong, the 10 has well harmonized controls and is a joy to fly. Just not super light forces, whipping around the sky, like the smaller models.

Larry

With the aileron trim properly set in flight, there is no force while straight - that's it's purpose, to offset/neutralize the forces from unequal weight due to fuel usage in one tank and other load (single pilot, etc.). When sitting on the ground, depending on how the trim is set, the ailerons can be deflected or neutral.

I am happy I installed the trim, and hand flying is effortless when they have been trimmed for neutral flight.

Cheers,

Thanks for the insight guys. Was just just curious about the feel. Has anyone flown a 10 without aileron trim and also flown one with? Did the two aircraft feel different rolling into and out of turns. Assuming same IAS. It would seem the resistance of the springs would be additive to whatever forces were acting on the controls in flight. Based on the system using springs linked to the actual aileron pushrod, I would think their would be a bit of a damping effect on the controls as well. Bonus.

I installed the system without the springs early in phase I, then connected the springs later in phase 1. Lots of cussing to get them engaged, for sure! No noticeable force difference, but makes a huge difference in hands free flying.

Phil
Bountiful, Utah
KBTF

Not noticeable in flight. I was used to the 6 and the ailerons in the 10 feel like a truck compared to them.
Larry

Heavier, but not like a truck. A 182 is more like a truck. The -10 is roughly (very roughly) half way between a 182 and an RV-7 in control forces.
As to the OP’s question, I have flown different 10’s, with and without aileron trim. Couldn’t tell the difference in flight, although to be honest I didn’t thoroughly investigate this. My -10 has no aileron trim, and left wing or right wing heavy depends on fuel and passenger left-right distribution. For vfr flying I don’t miss it; but for instrument flying I wish I had it.

The aileron control in the 10 is two fingers for any normal maneuvering. You only feel the springs if you are pulling for maximum roll rate.

I flew a 182 for many years before my 10 was complete and flying. The 182 is like a truck without power steering by comparison. I find the 10 a much more enjoyable plane to fly.

I flew a 182 for many years before my 10 was complete and flying. The 182 is like a truck without power steering by comparison. I find the 10 a much more enjoyable plane to fly.

If Bob's reference is correct, this is not surprising. You going from the 182 to the 10 is similar to me going from the 6 to the 10, but in the opposite direction. It is all relative to our reference point, I suppose. I do agree that at low bank angles, the controls are relatively light. In the 6, I just got used to doing most turns at 45+ degrees as it is so much fun to do. It is a very responsive plane.

Larry

Last edited:
Back