What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat cushion foam life expectancy..

John RV8

Well Known Member
Curious how long the seat foam should provide proper support. I have an Oregon Aero seat cushion, purchased in Oct. 2016, in my RV-8. It was super comfortable when new, but has been slowly collapsing, I now have to put about 1 1/2 inch thick (styrofoam) spacer under the cushion to get the same seat height as when the seat foam was new. Plus it is not near as comfortable as when new. Seems like it should last more than 4 years and about 350 flight hours. What have most folks experienced with your seats.

I can't give any perspective here - mine are in a box awaiting installation.

One of our cars is 11 years old and the seats are still as comfortable as the day we rolled off the lot. Car seats and plane seats shouldn't be much different - 350 hours sounds awfully short to me.

My Oregon Aero lower cushion lasted about 300-350 hours before losing support, particularly under the right side. Purchased at OSH in 2018. Just upgraded to Classic Aero Aviators. Much more comfortable. I’ll report on their durability over the next few years.

Mine from Cleaveland Tool (Custom RV Interiors by DJ) are still perfect after 950 hours. I put them through some good smashing in those 950 hours as I weigh 230lbs. They have the memory foam in them.

Back