What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decision: Garmin or Dynon

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
I figured there would be threads on this already in existence, but I can't find any. I soon must make the decision about whether to go with Dynon HDX or Garmin G3X. Looks like the Dynon is about $2500 cheaper. Are there any compelling reasons to pay that much more for Garmin? I'd be interested in hearing how others reasoned out the decision. Are the map updates significantly different in price? Is one more capable than the other?

Jerre

On both my Rans S19 and my under construction RV9A I used Dynon. It really comes down to your preference. Find some people that have them or go to a show where you can play with them.
As far as map updates the Dynon is free for life. If you want the map to look like a sectional you have to get a subscription from Seattle Avionics.

Download the pilots manuals from the four major vendors, Garmin, Dynon, GRT and MGL, and read enough of them to get a feel how you'd like to use them for the sort of flying you do.

When you get it narrowed down to the a couple of vendors, download the installation manual and see what you think of them.

Dave

Which is Better?

Which truck is better Ford or Chevy? I say Ford
Which soda Coke or Pepsi? I say Coke
Which Primer or not to prime? I say prime
Which Avionic package Garmin or Dynon? I say Garmin

:rolleyes:

I would say there are really two major decision influencers here. At the end of the day, total cost isn't one of them. Yes, that's what I wrote. The differences in cost will pretty much be outweighed by other higher-priority considerations.

One influencer is "brand"... Some folks come from the certified world and only know one brand, Garmin. Other folks, myself included, can't abide Garmin's corporate practices and will buy avionics by ABG, Anything BUT Garmin. You'll likely find you have some biases of your own. Do your own due diligence to see whether those biases have any basis in reality.

The other major influencer is "look and feel"... Spending time with hardware from each manufacturer is critical. Even better if that time is spent in the air, seeing how it really works in that most critical environment. Sometimes you'll play with a box and find your brain just doesn't work like those of the people who designed the boxes - you just can't get yourself in sync with their logic. Sometimes you'll punch up buttons and go "wow, I really like how that works." Part of it is aesthetics, too. How do the buttons and knobs look and feel? Do you find the fonts etc on screen are easily legible?

Pay a LOT of attention to this second decision influencer because you're going to be flying behind this hardware a lot and you want to feel like you are at one with the box. This point is, to me, THE biggest decision point. And you can't get to it unless you play with the hardware.

I've been giving thought to the direction I would take if I had to re-equip my aircraft today. After years of playing with hardware I think my preferences have GRT and AFS at the top of the list, followed by Dynon, Garmin and MGL in that order, with uAvionix there as the "one to watch" as they move into the cockpit display business.

Depending on the options configured, I found Garmin and Dynon to be pretty much comparable. I expected a "no-name" like Dynon to be significantly cheaper than "Garmin".. but that wasn't the case.

I found the real difference to be with the database updates.. Dynon is free

Data for US customers is provided by Dynon Avionics for no fee. The following is released on the FAA standard 28 day cycle. This is the most comprehensive data available for the US, including smaller airports and AFD remarks not available in other databases. And it's free!

Through a unique Dynon-subsidized program, Dynon is excited to offer Seattle Avionics' geo-referenced Sectionals, IFR Lo and High, Approach / Departure Procedure Charts and Airport Diagrams (including thousands of Flight Guide diagrams) at unprecedented pricing of $99 per year. This includes both VFR and IFR data in one flat rate. Only one subscription is needed per airplane.

The Garmin stuff is too much to quote, but you can view their prices here: https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

I was all set to do Dynon.. but then I decided to go with the RV-12iS IFR option.. which forced me into Garmin.

:rolleyes:

You'd be wrong, of course. :D

I played with both at OSH this year. I like the Garmin autopilot controller better than the Dynon. I also found my way around the menus and modes on the Garmin pretty easily although I didn't find the Dynon terribly difficult in that respect, just not quite as intuitive as I found the Garmin. The only downside to Garmin is the cost of updates vs Dynon IMO. If I were choosing today, I'd go Garmin. But if I ended up with Dynon I'm sure I'd love it just as much.

I figured there would be threads on this already in existence, but I can't find any. I soon must make the decision about whether to go with Dynon HDX or Garmin G3X. Looks like the Dynon is about $2500 cheaper. Are there any compelling reasons to pay that much more for Garmin? I'd be interested in hearing how others reasoned out the decision. Are the map updates significantly different in price? Is one more capable than the other?

Jerre
Hello Jerre,

Could you help us understand where you are seeing the $2,500 difference?

From Van's website, there is only a $175 difference between the 2 base VFR systems, and even with fully loaded systems with autopilot and ADS-B, the difference is a few hundred, not $2,500. (Pricing checked for RV-12iS packages)

While we don't currently have any free database subscriptions, the equivalent of the free databases on the other system (and more) are only $49.99/yr ($4.17/mo).

These are the two U.S. database bundles available for G3X Touch systems. This is a system subscription that covers all of the G3X Touch displays (up to 4) in the system.

US Mini Database Bundle for G3X Touch Systems $49.99/yr ($4.17/mo)
Includes the following databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• US VFR Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)

US Database Bundle for G3X Touch Systems $149.99/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• US Navigation Data (airports, intersections, navaids, runways, frequencies)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts, G3X Touch only)

For strictly VFR flying, there would be little reason to spend more than $49.99/yr for your G3X Touch system. This gives you navigation data for airports, frequencies, and runways, and terrain/obstacle data to keep all the terrain and obstacle alerting working to help you avoid those pesky towers. Additionally, it provides Garmin SafeTaxi, which automatically shows the airport runways and taxi-ways on the map to help you comply with taxi instructions on takeoff and landing.

There is no need to contract with a 3rd party to obtain your databases, because Garmin sources all these databases and they are available from the same FlyGarmin portal that you will also use to upload your logged flights complete with flight data, autopilot modes, and engine data to your free FlyGarmin logbook. You can even re-play your flights and see everything that occurred including all autopilot modes and approach captures.

ACtC-3ei-ogPVZvFPoxa1ChXQgThsf1W0U4gJcpYbS2sFAcqm-t199DXZ4w5MfTs80J3mS7bOk2Yg2oelGtdRS7mxFRC_Yfh7CO77L-n1oPOaN6VcW7QyXp-cM_ATL1mfmqJE9e-tbXcSFYTPX0gjOfdPxEC=w800

Everything about the Garmin system is high quality, professional, and Garmin designed/manufactured. We don't need to source navigators, audio panels, transponders, radios, and ADS-B transmitter/receivers from 3rd parties and put our name on them because we have the most complete product line in this industry.

Customers purchasing G3X Touch systems for both certified and EAB aircraft often comment on how much they appreciate the high quality and ergonomics of the Garmin GMC 307/507 autopilot control panel. Everything needed to control the most powerful autopilot in the industry is all located in one area with high quality buttons and knobs.

ACtC-3e3CV2PvC-CxJiFSXvqEYZIH7-yLi6yQxWmdHKW7Xc2yxjGGk-wJQYIcjgfvsQTn5gNt8tWIDT5vPqBTrwMx-EX2XGxZ6ImNgQhoT5ukJKaIX0m3DUtogZim8Cq9nViHvCCUK7emowc_VeyIHxXAR_2=w640

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Made my decision a couple years ago

Went with a Dynon

1) Jesse, the installer seemed to think installation was simpler
2) It was less expensive
3) Don’t know about now, but then, Dynon menus were significantly shallower
4) Support has been great
5) As a believer in competition, I didn’t want to feed the 800lb gorilla

I have a GTN 625, SL40, 245 audio and it works great with the Dynon

Last edited:
Which truck is better Ford or Chevy? I say Toyota
Which soda Coke or Pepsi? I say plain water
Which Avionic package Garmin or Dynon? I say GRT

Just re-checked my numbers on the Van's site:
Garmin system $15,775
AP $1950
AP knobs $1200
ADSB in $1035
ADSB out $1575
________
total $21535

Dynon system. $14850
AP servos $1615
knobs $950
ADSB in $990
ADSB out $550
_______
total $18995

Delta = $2540

IronFlight is correct. I'm ELSA and therefore locked into these two. Thanks for all the opinions

Just re-checked my numbers on the Van's site:
Garmin system $15,775
AP $1950
AP knobs $1200
ADSB in $1035
ADSB out $1575
________
total $21535

Dynon system. $14850
AP servos $1615
knobs $950
ADSB in $990
ADSB out $550
_______
total $18995

Delta = $2540

IronFlight is correct. I'm ELSA and therefore locked into these two. Thanks for all the opinions
Hello Jerre,

Sorry, we realize now that you have an RV-12, not an RV-12iS.

For the RV-12iS and the equipment you have identified, the Garmin system is $21,525 and the other system is $20,955. ($570 difference)

The Garmin prices are the same for both RV-12 and RV-12iS, but the other system is shown to be lower for the RV-12 pre-August 2017 kits as you have stated.

Thanks,
Steve

IFR

Steve,

If I'm going with a GNX 375, what is the yearly database bundle for US that would enable me to fly IFR, with a G3X Touch system?

Thanks,
Michael-

I installed Dynon, and have been around 2 other dynon equipped planes at my airport. I have zero complaints and am very much a capitalist and think competition is GREAT and would promote as many companies into the game as possible to create innovation and pricing improvements.

Several years ago there wasn't as many choices, technology was a lot less developed, and the cost to do what we all have now was 4x or more.

I just added a GNC355 to my dual AFS 5600T panel for IFR capability.and a second com radio. The Garmin annual update cost is $299, the annual update for the Dynon/AFS updates via Seattle Avionics is $100, which includes approach plates, IFR enroute and sectional charts. Comes out to $33/month.

Hello Jerre,

Could you help us understand where you are seeing the $2,500 difference?

From Van's website, there is only a $175 difference between the 2 base VFR systems, and even with fully loaded systems with autopilot and ADS-B, the difference is a few hundred, not $2,500. (Pricing checked for RV-12iS packages)

While we don't currently have any free database subscriptions, the equivalent of the free databases on the other system (and more) are only $49.99/yr ($4.17/mo).

These are the two U.S. database bundles available for G3X Touch systems. This is a system subscription that covers all of the G3X Touch displays (up to 4) in the system.

US Mini Database Bundle for G3X Touch Systems $49.99/yr ($4.17/mo)
Includes the following databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• US VFR Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies)

US Database Bundle for G3X Touch Systems $149.99/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• US Navigation Data (airports, intersections, navaids, runways, frequencies)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts, G3X Touch only)

There is no need to contract with a 3rd party to obtain your databases, because Garmin sources all these databases and they are available from the same FlyGarmin portal that you will also use to upload your logged flights complete with flight data, autopilot modes, and engine data to your free FlyGarmin logbook. You can even re-play your flights and see everything that occurred including all autopilot modes and approach captures.

FzGXhm1ZofaLWDIUAjvVCMQBOMU_63OUUPpXtrrpOhoMP97PozJrT3K3gYli5jpq_6re8sRrVXqMd50TE1iKwK0sZvTyxackSl1Gk9-VV_qC7JQti4G6qPzB0PeLfxnxtzSqQGnoCEz3aEg1YMQu2HcyEUvvOkDEa9moa18jPYg9wNM1ib3erVY-tRlunItv4s6fm-0EZcX2EHFDooPz4ub35qSMJ5IYunXSnM-pKnRAUQUvIESQ3CcLAmG_JhoO3i7c3xTEYfVIl750sokKOemIY6AcLCVqZw5SKyiWVV8rl9hTZM4lksEslL-ZwrxiDvtYoEww97dpJxrNhQhV9KMPW-sM_kxxPFBvpFWcyACGp5IwPqsfJthJh4-jPPV0aAHcYwYn1khNaAmWjbIdfEwySTWoGeogNKBB3R8wb8-UVvyJs2nJpDEexe7e5M2TN2N5Kbrd7dIsy7dzQhMQiOWfRiEidJskbQ6dgHHU4AkMFfWzxE9icejVN8fKE2uXKVO3tot9Cp46CR3E0B7F7RtJkUB0NkCLmmnPcSMFXVFK1cJ5zXtEyIl3OD-9FGiUt8ADjyD9As2RS10PdYyk8XtZxl-gWvs_XomXx5k2A44QlOAJsKBtTzKNgdNuQkAv4zJJXYR0RfklC5jYtIqPZowZ0YQtSRXYndQJEgqWHoBiE2kvNcJCOA=w800

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks for this. I?m a happy Garmin customer but somehow didn?t know about the portal feature to upload and analyze my flight data logs. Looks like that feature could save me the cost of my CloudAhoy subscription!

Steve,

If I'm going with a GNX 375, what is the yearly database bundle for US that would enable me to fly IFR, with a G3X Touch system?

Thanks,
Michael-
Hello Michael,

All of the database pricing is available from this link, but we realize that there are lots of options, so we are happy to answer your questions.

A U.S. IFR Navigation database subscription for the GNX 375 is $299/yr.

For the G3X Touch system, you could choose either the $49.99/yr subscription with 4 basic databases, or the $149.95/yr subscription for all 7 databases included IFR/VFR charts and FliteCharts geo-referenced approach plates.

For strictly VFR flying, there would be little reason to spend more than $49.99/yr for your G3X Touch system. This gives you navigation data for airports, frequencies, and runways, and terrain/obstacle data to keep all the terrain and obstacle alerting working to help you avoid those pesky towers. Additionally, it provides Garmin SafeTaxi, which automatically shows the airport runways and taxi-ways on the map to help you comply with taxi instructions on takeoff and landing.

When you equip your plane for IFR flying, the equipment and database needs are quite a bit higher, but much better than they used to be.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks for this. I?m a happy Garmin customer but somehow didn?t know about the portal feature to upload and analyze my flight data logs. Looks like that feature could save me the cost of my CloudAhoy subscription!
Hello John,

Thank you, and you are very welcome!

The ability to have the detailed flight data for all your flights, including fuel burn, EGT/CHT temperatures, RPM, Manifold Pressure, Fuel and Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature (and much more) for all phases of flight is invaluable.

If you see an engine parameter that looks high or low on a flight, you can quickly compare the readings stored for other similar flights to see if something is changing.

Thanks,
Steve

I agree on all 4 counts. :D

I plan to go Garmin as I like the idea of having a homogeneous cockpit, including the Garmin Pilot app on my iPad, and from what I've read/seen, I think they have the edge on autopilot functionality and the AP control panel. However, I've never heard anything bad at all about Dynon, so I think you're safe either way. Unless you already have some significant experience with one system over the other I don't think there's really any chance of buyer's remorse as you'll have no basis for comparison.

During the fuse build, I installed brackets for the servos. I have a dim memory of someone saying these are, by default, for the Dynon AP and would have to be modified for Garmin. How much modification is required?

Jerre

Hello Michael,

All of the database pricing is available from this link, but we realize that there are lots of options, so we are happy to answer your questions.

A U.S. IFR Navigation database subscription for the GNX 375 is $299/yr.

For the G3X Touch system, you could choose either the $49.99/yr subscription with 4 basic databases, or the $149.95/yr subscription for all 7 databases included IFR/VFR charts and FliteCharts geo-referenced approach plates.

When you equip your plane for IFR flying, the equipment and database needs are quite a bit higher, but much better than they used to be.

Thanks,
Steve

Just to confirm if you have a PFD and a MFD you would need to spend $100.00
for two basic $50.00 VFR packages?

During the fuse build, I installed brackets for the servos. I have a dim memory of someone saying these are, by default, for the Dynon AP and would have to be modified for Garmin. How much modification is required?

Jerre
Hello Jerre,

If indeed your servo brackets were not designed to accept either servo brand, the modification should just involve a little filing. The mounting pattern for the 4 main bolts is the same.

The G3X Touch Installation Manual has a section dedicated to "GSA 28 Installation Into a Non-Garmin Bracket".

Some also remove the old brackets and install the Garmin brackets.

Thanks,
Steve

Just to confirm if you have a PFD and a MFD you would need to spend $100.00
for two basic $50.00 VFR packages?
Hello Dave,

No. Whether you have a G3X Touch system with 1 display or 4 displays, the $49.99/yr database subscription covers all displays in the system.

Every G3X and G3X Touch system has a configuration module installed in the PFD display connector backshell (part of the wiring harness) that gives the system a unique System ID that is entered into FlyGarmin to identify the system, not the display.

FlyGarmin doesn't even know what display(s) are in the system. You can have any mix of GDU 450/460/470 displays and the database subscription still works.

If you needed to replace or add a display, the database subscription remains unaffected since it is tied to the common System ID.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Jerre

I played with both and picked the Dynon. I liked the feel of it better. It has more of a shelf on the bottom with the buttons. I also liked that you could use either touch or a button for many of the features. Compared to my last plane the database updates are so easy - and free is a nice bonus!:)

Another note on Dynon, on occasion there is an option for lifetime IFR data usually on thanksgiving. I took advantage of it, so now have all the data for life which is a nice bonus to keep flying expenses down in the future.

Also to keep into consideration is point after the sale technical assistance. The G3xperts are available almost 24/7, even holidays, answering questions and offering assistance. They helped me get my system configurations set up on my RV-10 on a weekend in short order due to my lack of computer knowledge. I like the graphic display much better on Garmin than Dynon. My buddy has Dynon in his Cozy MKIV and I don't care for it. He never has been able to get his Dynon AP servo's to work right. Sure Garmin is in a lot of different fields and divisions, even fish finders (I have one). Dynon should be ashamed they don't! ;)

Ive had the G3X and the Skyview, both Touch.
Love both but I would go Dynon again on any future airplanes.
Just my opinion..

My buddy has Dynon in his Cozy MKIV and I don't care for it. He never has been able to get his Dynon AP servo's to work right.

Curious as to whats not working, as my AP worked perfect out of the box with the calibration routine done. No extra adjustments have had to be made at all.

Back to the original post question, both systems truly are going to work just fine and have good resale value in the future.

2 vs 3 terminations

Does Garmin require shielded wiring for almost everything vs dynon almost none? 50% more terminations and associated labor/time? Do the pro's charge more for the equivalent Garmin install?

Curious as to whats not working, as my AP worked perfect out of the box with the calibration routine done. No extra adjustments have had to be made at all.
He cannot get the sensitivity and calibration to adjust right. Has a VERY hard time holding a level altitude. Get it set and it will drift up or down after a minute or two, and I mean by 100' and more so he has to constantly fiddle with that. Turns,,,,,got it calibrated to within 15* and that's as close as it will get, but then you test a heading and its usually 20* or more off depending on the X-wind factor. We spent 1.5 hours in the plane flying around last year going through the calibration manual and went through it 3 times. Its a Cozy MKIV and flies hands off when trimmed out. I think he has software issues either in the EFIS Touch, his servos, or both. Originally had a Blue Mountain system and that AP worked great. He's been in contact with Dynon with little help offered and no real solution. No way it could fly an approach on its own. The pilot work load and concentration required to disconnect the AP, correct heading and altitude, and re-engage the AP is dangerous at best. I think he has given up on getting it any better.

Hey Jerre, i'm at the same point in my 12 build. One thing I noticed is the different types of weather data available. I believe only Garmin has the XM weather (lol not sure if that is a thing or not, i'm a total newby)

I've found a bunch of Dynon Rv12 Utubes by "RV 12 Pilot", you might want to see those. I'm going to look for some Garmin versions of the same.

I don't want to wait until Oshkosh there is a zillion week wait for the avionics from Vans for the 12 (my finish kit was a 5 month wait) but that would be the best to actually touch and play with them. More vendors need to have the virtual versions so you could play with them online.....

Problem

Hello Dave,

No. Whether you have a G3X Touch system with 1 display or 4 displays, the $49.99/yr database subscription covers all displays in the system.

Every G3X and G3X Touch system has a configuration module installed in the PFD display connector backshell (part of the wiring harness) that gives the system a unique System ID that is entered into FlyGarmin to identify the system, not the display.

FlyGarmin doesn't even know what display(s) are in the system. You can have any mix of GDU 450/460/470 displays and the database subscription still works.

If you needed to replace or add a display, the database subscription remains unaffected since it is tied to the common System ID.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Okay but when I was at OSH this summer. The guys in the Garmin Booth made me pay for two separate $50.00 charges for the PFD and the MFD. Anyway to get my 50 back or a credit of some type?

Hey Jerre, i'm at the same point in my 12 build. One thing I noticed is the different types of weather data available. I believe only Garmin has the XM weather (lol not sure if that is a thing or not, i'm a total newby)

I've found a bunch of Dynon Rv12 Utubes by "RV 12 Pilot", you might want to see those. I'm going to look for some Garmin versions of the same.

I don't want to wait until Oshkosh there is a zillion week wait for the avionics from Vans for the 12 (my finish kit was a 5 month wait) but that would be the best to actually touch and play with them. More vendors need to have the virtual versions so you could play with them online.....

---Another decision is one screen or two? For all of you two screen'ers what do you have on each screen? Is the right screen easily reachable from the left seat? Easy to see for some older eyes?

---For the one screen'ers, are you using a EFB for the second screen? If so what do you display on it ? Or have something else like a IFly?

Okay but when I was at OSH this summer. The guys in the Garmin Booth made me pay for two separate $50.00 charges for the PFD and the MFD. Anyway to get my 50 back or a credit of some type?
Hello Dave,

You bet! Please send us an email at [email protected] and we will straighten this out.

Thanks,
Steve

---Another decision is one screen or two? For all of you two screen'ers what do you have on each screen? Is the right screen easily reachable from the left seat? Easy to see for some older eyes?

---For the one screen'ers, are you using a EFB for the second screen? If so what do you display on it ? Or have something else like a IFly?

Yes - easily reachable and visible - I usually have the map and traffic up on the right. Two screens are nice if you like to fly from the right seat every so often. Very easy to swap displays inflight between the two screens for Dynon. (probably Garmin as well) You can have any combination of data you want on any screen or all data on both screens. For example when I am starting up I usually have the engine data full screen in front of me.

Garmin Superior Customer sevice.

The question was asked to choose between Garmin or Dynon. I'm saying Garmin as I said before. Not because I have two GDU460 (G3X touch) but because of the level of service I just experienced. Not only did Steve and Justin Help me with an issue of me having two databases but also helping me trouble shoot an issue with XM that I'm having.

I mean these guy are alway there. Example: Yesterday (Sunday) I was at Trader Joe's emailing them about how to fix the database issue. I was sure I would have to wait till Monday to get a response. I had a response less than one hour and every question after that was answered in less than 15 min. I bet Dynon don't have that level of service (Could be wrong not having any Dynon Avionics). I felt like I was emailing a member of the family. All I can say is don't just invest in an avionics package, invest in superior Customer Service to.

Last edited:

Jeff,

I'd love to have two screens but simply can't afford it. I'm going with one screen plus an iPad with Foreflight.

I think we live about 30 minutes apart. At some point I'd like to see your airplane. What airport will you be based at?

Jerre

Jeff,

I'd love to have two screens but simply can't afford it. I'm going with one screen plus an iPad with Foreflight.

I think we live about 30 minutes apart. At some point I'd like to see your airplane. What airport will you be based at?

Jerre

I suggest you design the panel for 2 screens (including wiring), then later when you have funds you can install the 2nd screen.

I just went with a single Dynon HDX for my panel upgrade. For 35 dollars you can add the WiFi and it gives you some options for sending data to a IPad. In my case I am going to use it for the rear seat but might be a good temporary solution until you get another screen. I would love it if the option to mirror the HDX screen were offered but no one has that capability at the moment.
George

https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-wifi-adapter.php

Last edited:
I suggest you design the panel for 2 screens (including wiring), then later when you have funds you can install the 2nd screen.

I wonder if this is possible with the RV-12iS given that if you order a single-panel system, you will get a single-panel wiring harness kit. Maybe you can ask to upgrade the wiring without the actual second screen? But I can't imagine it being that much work to add a second screen and wiring later, can it?

Back