What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your expirence, exhaust fumes in cockpit momentary

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have flown in 3 RV9A s and have noticed a smell of exhaust gas momentary at different speeds. Doesn't last but a few seconds. Iam thinking that like a semi pulling a long trailer in foggier conditions where you see the trailing air disturbance behind the the rear of the trailer's aft door that the same maybe happening where as the exhaust comes in at the rear of the fuselage by the elevator horns at rear of fuselage. I have the DOT carbon monoxide card mounted on the instrument panel but never see it change color. Your experience or thoughts. Was wondering if any pilots with the exhaust pipe ends that were made pointing downward makes a difference.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

I have a very sensitive CO detector in my plane. It sometimes bleeps just after take-off, and once in a while after landing. Never a peep in flight. My pipes have a turndown on the ends.

No issues with exhaust smell. Straight pipes. I have had the DOT CO detector for 3 years but finally upgraded to electronic version. Reasonable price. Weight = 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRJ1KQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41HQCPYvidL.jpg

Last edited:
I have never smelled exhaust. I have an electronic CO detector and it never makes a sound (until the batt needs changing). I have the original straight back exhaust.

Thanks Steve, checked it out on amazon. Good value for the money. Well it seems by the responses it's a hit and miss. I think maybe I'll put a piece of 4 mil plastic tarp over the last bulk head near the elevator horns. Can't seem to think it would come in anywhere else. If it would stop raining in Oregon maybe a flight this mouth might work. Here in Salem the February average is 4.36",,,,,,we ended up with record setting 13.26" of rain. I have to look at sunny pictures in a book to see what sunlight looks like. Yes it's raining now and has for the four days of March. Thanks for your responses and if you know of anyone who has I'd the source repost.Thanks

Ronin Oregon RV9A

L

When I reduce power prior to entering the pattern I sometimes get a exhaust smell in my rv9a.

In 130 hours so far on my RV, this has happened to me about 5 or 6 times, always in this same spot - reducing power and pushing the nose down to drop into the pattern. I'm guessing it has something to do with an airflow change around the aft cabin or tail group allowing some gases to come in.

Thanks Steve, checked it out on amazon. Good value for the money. Well it seems by the responses it's a hit and miss. I think maybe I'll put a piece of 4 mil plastic tarp over the last bulk head near the elevator horns. Can't seem to think it would come in anywhere else. If it would stop raining in Oregon maybe a flight this mouth might work. Here in Salem the February average is 4.36",,,,,,we ended up with record setting 13.26" of rain. I have to look at sunny pictures in a book to see what sunlight looks like. Yes it's raining now and has for the four days of March. Thanks for your responses and if you know of anyone who has I'd the source repost.Thanks

Ronin Oregon RV9A

L

today I measured 1 ppm in the climb and 2 ppm in cruise. vents closed. go figure. alarm is 35 ppm with red blinking lights.

Last edited:
300 plus hrs never had an issue .Spent the money for a good CO detector right off the bat.

Exhaust smell

I used to get exhaust in the cockpit- slow flight, entering pattern, stalls, etc- always with fresh air vents closed, with vents open - no exhaust. I added foam seals to the baggage bulkhead corrugations- no change. Then added rubber seals (slider) to the canopy sides - now no exhaust smell in any condition. Vetterman exhaust. Used methods previously posted here. Thanks to those who have gone before and shared their results!

I have flown in 3 RV9A s and have noticed a smell of exhaust gas momentary at different speeds. Doesn't last but a few seconds. Iam thinking that like a semi pulling a long trailer in foggier conditions where you see the trailing air disturbance behind the the rear of the trailer's aft door that the same maybe happening where as the exhaust comes in at the rear of the fuselage by the elevator horns at rear of fuselage. I have the DOT carbon monoxide card mounted on the instrument panel but never see it change color. Your experience or thoughts. Was wondering if any pilots with the exhaust pipe ends that were made pointing downward makes a difference.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Ask anyone that has a "Smoke System" how much smoke they get in the cockpit when they are pulling some "G"s. Cockpits WILL get smoke in them. If the smoke gets in, there must also be some exhaust gas from the engine.

Last edited:
FYI - there is a 20% discount for pilots on the Sensorcon models. I just received mine (same unit as shown in post 2) for $95 shipped. There is a thread on BT that lists the discount code, and asks that it be shared widely.

I'm not sure if reposting the code would violates DRs rules, so I won't post it. It won't be hard for anyone interested to find on BT - especially if one were to seach for "Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Detector Discount "

Thanks Danny, good to know about rubber seals you placed on canopy sides. Could you expound on the size of your strips and and placement on the side fairings of the slider canopy to curtail the fumes. I to have Vetterman exhaust ( muffler and straight pipes aft). As mentioned earlier in the threads one gent had the pipes where they curve downward right at the end of the pipe. Surely would be a good thing to keep the exhaust off the belly and antennas. Maybe this is a good to share with our EAA chapters nationwide. Maybe someone may come out with a after market 6" curved pipe extension as well as a rubber trim kit for the slider canopy. Any tip-up owners have a similar problem with fumes? Thanks for all the feed back guys. I think this is a game changer for all slider 9s. Any other models having a similar problem?

Ron in Oregon RV9A flying 91669
N421HJ just one away from N420HJ Honda Jet, may not be as fast but it's a whole lot more fun! I think! Haven't flown the jet but maybe one day!

Thanks Danny, good to know about rubber seals you placed on canopy sides. Could you expound on the size of your strips and and placement on the side fairings of the slider canopy to curtail the fumes. I to have Vetterman exhaust ( muffler and straight pipes aft).

Ron in Oregon RV9A flying 91669

Ron, here is the thread where I describe my solution for sealing the slider canopy sides that I think Danny is referring to (starts at post #4). This has worked very well for me and for many others who have tried it. I still have the original rubber seals on the canopy rail that I superglued over 7 years ago.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104766&highlight=slider+canopy+seals

Not me

I have 200 hours on my RV-9A. I've never smelled exhaust fumes in the cockpit. I do have rubber seals on my canopy. Though the first 50 or so hours I did not. I have standard pipes that come with the kit.

I don't have a CO2 sensor. Need to get one.

Michael-

Well over 300 hrs now .... have never noticed exhaust odor in flight. Have noticed mild exhaust odor just 3 or 4 times when taxing into a strong wind; seems to happen with a strong wind from the two o'clock position. My highly unscientific theory is the almost-lateral wind curls some exhaust up around the fuse into the NACA duct on the pilot side. Oddly, it does not seem to happen with strong direct crosswinds. :confused:

Great news Pat! I checked post #4 and it's well done. He did a excellent job at testing and I am going to go that route. I did buy a in-the panel CO detector(353-101) from Guardian Avionics for $299 who advertises here on Dougs forum front page. So with the advice I received here on the threads I'll keep busy with seals and the detector.

Thanks guys for you thoughts and feel free to keep the posts going.

DONT FORGET-THE TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE IS COMING TO THE UNITED STATES AUGUST 21 st 2017. Plan your flight to Salem Oregon (KSLE) TO WATCH AND EXPERIENCE THIS ONCE IN A LIFE TIME EVENT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MORNING. Vans homecoming is two days earlier. (7S5). Salem has a great big ramp for hundreds of planes and two 5000' plus runways in a friendly class DELTA AIRSPACE, I MEAN IT,,,FRIENDLY, plus a Great Restaurant called the FLIGHT DECK. THEN FLY 20 miles north and take a Vans factory tour!

Ron in Oregon RV9A.

Last edited:
Seal idea

I'm glad Pat replied- his design is the one I copied! Thanks Pat! I have vetterman's mufflers and straight pipes as well. Mine exit out and down. I have James long cowl installed. I did use Crabandy's idea of making the seal taller in the midsection- they work very well!

Last edited:
The Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide detector discount code from the BeechTalk forum is still good;
I just bought one today, saved $25 on the mid grade model!
I've been concerned about the exhaust smell in my Yak55, fortified by tales of M14p exhaust port leaks. Also, I've been curious about my RV-8 and any airplane with the engine in the front....

We get exhaust smells in the pattern with flap.

I think it is generating a low pressure in the cabin and the fumes are coming through the flap drive holes in the fuselage.

Never lasts long, must take my CO meter up to check. Will report back.

Back