What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem rigging ailerons

bob888

Well Known Member
I have just finished rigging the ailerons and elevator; all is within specs but there is a slight "hangup" in the controls when at full up elevator and extreme right or left aileron. It feels like a slight 'bump' as the stick moves around the 'corner' at the full up, full right or full left position. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a problem? A fix if needed?

Check to see if it is rubbing on the front cover plate in front of the stick. I don't have my plans here, so I don't have a number. I believe I had to widen the hole where the stick passes through to gain additional clearance.

I'd be looking at the stick assembly for ends of pushrods catching on weldments since it's happening with the stick cranked over. May have to leave more threads near a weldment end and less at the other.

Thanks guys...

Sounds like a simple fix. I'll check next time I'm out to the hangar. Is it the bolt at the base of the control stick (couldn't tell from the pix)?

Sounds like a simple fix. I'll check next time I'm out to the hangar. Is it the bolt at the base of the control stick (couldn't tell from the pix)?

At the base, yes. The bolts that hold the aileron push rods to the stick assembly.

Exactly...

I had the same problem. I was caused by the bolts on the stick base interfering with the stick mount. Reversing the offending bolts helped but did not remove the interference completely. I ended up modifying the up elevator stop to 29 degrees instead of 30, after talking to Vans.

Totally right on!!!

Thanks to Joe Wilbur and Bob Turner, the fix is in. It would have taken me hours to figure that out but instead it became a 20 minute fix. That's what is so great about this website.

Back