What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very close to pulling trigger. Few questions

Bugsiegel

What is the first kit ordered?
How far in do I need to decide tri gear or tail dragged on a 14?
How much should I expect to spend on tools? Is a basic tool kit offered from Vans?

What is the first kit ordered?
How far in do I need to decide tri gear or tail dragged on a 14?
How much should I expect to spend on tools? Is a basic tool kit offered from Vans?

Tail kit first. There is a lot more hand-holding in the instructions. Plus, it's cheap enough that if you decide building is not for you you haven't committed too much money.

You can go nose gear or tail wheel at any time, but the farther along you are when you change your mind, the more work it is to re-do things.

Tools. If you have nothing now, I'd budget $3K. It is possible to spend a lot more. Be careful reading VAF posts, there is a lot of exaggeration, as in "...tool xxx is a must-have". Quite often it is a nice to have, but not necessary, tool. Vans does not sell tools. Several VAF advertisers have "starter tool kits" which are actually fairly complete, but you will need things not included like an air compresser, basic hand tools, etc. "Mechanics tools" (like Snap-On) are very good but frightfully expensive. Some buy them anyway; some buy cheap (Harbor Freight) knowing they won't last; many go "middle ground" (e.g., Craftsman).

Last edited:
You can go nose gear or tail wheel at any time, but the farther along you are when you change your mind, the more work it is to re-do things.

A little more in depth answer is that the decision is best made when you order the first (empenage) kit.

Refer to order form HERE

It is true that if you are willing to put in the effort (disassembly/rework, etc.) you could switch at just about any point of the build though it would be a lot better to switch from trigear to TD than from TD to trigear.

The best plan would be to at least decide before you complete construction of the tail cone portion of the fuselage (the last assembly built in the emp kit.)

What Bob said on the kit and wheel position.

3K is a good number as a total over the life of the project, but really depends on your tastes. I am well past that, but am a self confessed tool nut who looks for excuses to buy tools.
I bought a 'kit' and have a lot of tools I have never used. On the other hand I have added many tools as I went along and learned there value. Tungsten bucking bar and angle drill extension come to mind
(I will qualify my response as a 10 builder. Not sure if 14 rivets are driven or pulled)
I purchased a pneumatic squeezer for $600 .... never used it once. The hand squeezer and rivet gun have extensive use. My 'kits' came with dies and rivet sets I have never used, but without many more I have purchased and/or replaced due to need or wear.
If I was starting over, I would have purchased fewer 'kits' and more individual tools (or minimalist 'kits') as I went along and found their need. That is not the most efficient for shipping, but spreads to cost over the last two years.

Good luck, and post your progress for others to see and learn.

I've been working on airplanes and helicopters for over 30 years (holy ****, I'm old) and likely have four times the amount invested in tools. If you want Snap-On tools, you'll spend far more than the estimate above. If you decide you want the best IR compressor, you'll spend that just on the compressor.

Look for a deal from someone selling their unfinished kit and tools, if you have time, and you'll save a good bit - especially if you can go pick it up and avoid shipping costs.

There is a -7A kit for sale here in the upper northeast. Could be a good deal.

Perhaps there are RV builders in your area who can show you the tools and discuss their use with you.

The practice kits Van's offers are a good introduction to the construction and might be worth getting and doing first. There are also how-to seminars offered from time to time.

I've bought tools from
Cleaveland,
Avery (now gone),
Brown,
The Yard Store,
ATS,
Steinair,
B&C,
Gen-Aircraft Hardware,
Lee Valley Hardware,
Flyboy Accessories,
Harbor Freight.

And in general have gotten decent stuff and a fair price and excellent service. Some particularly good things are the dimple dies from Cleaveland and the drill bits from Gen-Aircraft Hardware. I've had a bad experience with a Sioux rivet gun (but the drills are great), replaced it with an ACAT tool from The Yard Store, and am back in business.

A bigger tank on the compressor means it won't have to come on as long.

The most often used tool in my shop is a shop vacuum from Lowe's. But it's noisy. I'd recommend finding one that's powerful, not tall, and that's quiet.

A multi-speed drill press is a good thing. With that and a number of my tools, my best source was my friends.

As for tailwheel versus nose wheel, that's totally your choice. I'm sure you've read the pros and cons of each. If competent tailwheel instruction is available locally and you can build some time in a taildragger, that'll be to your advantage if you build that kind. They do take some learned ability.

Dave

Last edited:
Add US Industrial to that tool list. Their cutting tools have always been sharp and accurate. They also have cool stuff like $40k hot dimplers if you just want to be crazy.

Back