What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV life in Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Do any locals have the lowdown on RV / flying in the Research Technology Park area? Where to base a plane, what hangars cost, are they available, etc? Can I fly all year with weather, etc? Thanks for any info!

KTTA (Raleigh executive Jetport) has about 10 RV's of various types. Additional hangars are in the final stages of construction. A new "experimental" builder assistance hangar has established operation there as well.

The Bandit Flight Team (RV's, YAKs, and CJ) are based there.

There are a number of RVs at other airports in the immediate area, but depending on where you want to base the aircraft, hangars are available. Yes, you can fly year round in this area.

Oh, and RTP stands for Research Triangle Park.

Last edited:
Mmmm, Year round....... Maybe not like the desert west. I commute to the triangle weekly. My log book from last year said I flew 70% of the weeks. And that was with an IFR ticket. Admittedly, sometimes I needed to drive because of hauling cargo in a car or truck but I tried to plan those trips for crappy weather.

Great place to live.

EAA chapter 1114 is a excellent source of info for anything aviation in the Raleigh area. It's a super chapter as chapters go with the largest attendance I've ever seen at a chapter monthly meetings which is held at Cox field in Apex. They also have monthly builder chat / movie nights for guys building their own planes. Just moved to this area from the Northeast and the flying season is all year long but the summers can be HOT. And not a Southwest hot but a Carolina Hot where you feel like you have a Hot Wet blanket covering you when you walk out of the A/C. All things considered it's a outstanding place to live with your RV. :D

Back