What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to best protect fuel lines

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm working on the aluminum lines between the fuel pumps, Andair fuel selector, AFP filter and AFP boost pump. To say that it is "tight" in that area is a bit of an understatement.

The body of the AFP pump is uncomfortably close to the line between the right tank and the fuel selector. Under 1/4" spacing, if that.

I was thinking I could use a spiral wrap around any of the fuel lines that were close to anything else, as a protection against abrasion.

This is what I was thinking of: http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=392

The other thing I though of was some Home Depot plastic tubing, slit lengthwise.

Anyone have any better ideas?

To me it seems that if you had 1/4" between the components that would be sufficient. If these items were moving that much the parts would fatigue and break.

When I want to protect things such as fuel line,wires etc.that are close together here's what I do.I run a bead of rtv onto the work table and let it harden.Then I cut it into sections as long as needed.Now put a piece between the two fuel lines and go around both lines with fresh rtv. It now has a cushing between them and
is fully encapusulated so it can't fall out.

Another option is to use a short length split length of rubber hose.

Hold it on with a ty-rap.

I split an old semi transparent air hose and it fit very nicely around the fuel lines. It was free and works well.

then I took it all out and had Tom make lines for me!

Back