What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firesleeve for control cables???

bob888

Well Known Member
I have seen a post suggesting firesleeve for one or more of the control cables, perhaps where they pass close under the sump. Anyone have an opinion on this?

That is what I did after I noticed control cable heat damage on my first RV. I run the alternator output cable, engine ground and starter cables through fire sleeve as well (engine ground is on the starter ground lug). All is well for the last 12 years.

Carl

I put firesleeve on my control cables the entire length. It wasnt very expensive to buy and a cheap insurance policy to extend the life.

Many of us have done this. Tim Olson has documented the process he followed on his site. I did something very similar.

It seems to be a point about 5-6 years were people were starting to notice cable failures. YMMV depending on how often you fly.

Also, the cables that Van's sells aren't the highest rated temperature rating that Cablecraft sells. Many of use got the higher rated sleeves and used additional heat protection as well and didn't use the cables that Van's provided.

I have seen a post suggesting firesleeve for one or more of the control cables, perhaps where they pass close under the sump. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Yes particularly if they have the green plastic coating and are near heat sources.

Bevan

Keep in mind that fire sleeve's main function is to protect the contents from flames, not to reflect heat. In fact, once the engine compartment has reached a steady temp, whatever is in the fire sleeve will also be at that temp, and that's the problem. These cables that Vans sells are basically made for boats. You might want to consider also wrapping the cable in reflective heat tape and using exhaust pipe heat shields to redirect radiant heat away from the cable as much as you can.

Back