What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My tail laid down

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My tail set down at my fuel stop yesterday while boarding:confused:. I'm wondering a million things this morning, and running my W&B through my head as if it would do any good now.
It happened at our fuel stop after refueling we were getting ready to depart, I loaded my two rear seat passengers then turned my back to check the storage door. I lost site of my wife as she was boarding, she stopped short of her seat to move something inside and was standing on the wing aft of her seat when I started to board, as soon as I stepped onto the step the tail laid down. I've seen this on the two seater's but I never imagined this could happen on the 10. Two concerns, I'm wondering if this has happen to anyone else, and I am rethinking my W&B? I didn't build the plane so I am using the builders W&B and CG rating. I have loaded the plane with passengers heavier than this trip so I know capacity is not the issue but I am concerned about my CG with my storage compartment.
Fortunately I flew only two hours and had over 35 gallons of fuel when I landed.
Just to play if safe the second leg of our flight all passengers carried a bag on there lap.
I am also shipping part of our baggage back.

I loaded my two rear seat passengers ----------my wife--------------stopped short of her seat ---and was standing on the wing aft of her seat when I started to board, as soon as I stepped onto the step the tail laid down.

Yep, been there done that. Cost me a new lower rudder fairing.

Now we load the front seat passenger first, I get up on the wing and help the rear seat passenger/s to load next, and lastly I get in.

No more issues.

I am pretty sure the W/B loading was not an issue, just the fact you and your wife were both way behind the C/G at the wrong time.

Try running a W/B with your weight added to the baggage (that is where the step is), not in the pilot seat, and your wife's added to the rear seats (where she was at the moment), not the co-pilot. Pretty sure you will find the C/G is behind the main wheel at this configuration.

Last edited:
I have sen this happen with both two and four seaters....but since you have doubts, I'd get some scales and get the airplane re-weighed, just so you know where you are at. Then you can make informed loading decisions and not have to guess about it.

Yep, two people already seated in back, two people on or near the step at the same time, it will tip back.
This never happens to me, though, because I insist on personally latching the right door, from the outside, so I can observe the pins are latched.

Unfortunately this happened to me once too. Did a very thorough W&B before the flight so that wasnt the issue in my case. I got distracted by line guy upon arrival and had two passengers and full baggage in back and co-pilot stood on step, which tipped the tail down. It was a gentle process but enough to have to replace the lower rudder fairing. Now I make sure to unload rear passengers first or at least go stand beside the tail if I get out first.

Keep your tie down ring installed and it cannot happen

Played in this movie as well. Upon landing after a 3.5 hour trip, my plane partner and I climbed out and stepped down so evenly we could qualify in syncronised dancing :)

Luggage in in the back as well as our wifes in the rear seats and it plonked down. What was funny is to see the two wide eyed ladies in the back. Not so funny was the cracked rudder cover. :mad:

The lesson learned here - I always had the standard tie down ring in place that would have stopped the rudder bottom hitting, but have replaced it with a much smaller stainless steel tie down from Cleaveland Tool. So now the rudder touched before the tie down. I have now added a lock nut on the SS tie down in order to make sure the tie down will hit first.

Suggest redoing the W&B

?....... I didn't build the plane so I am using the builders W&B and CG rating.

Hi Tim,

I also bought my -10 and used the builder W&B. I redid the weight and balance because I saw it had several mods (paint, new panel, etc.) from the last one. I was surprised how different it was!

I am at 52F as well and can help if you want. You can get the scales from Avery over the weekend for a reasonable price. I think you redid the interior and did work on the panel. I think a new baseline would be a good idea.

When I did mine, I sat at the controls, added weight to the baggage, changed my battery etc to verify moment arms etc.

TJ

Thanks for offer TJ, and the other replies, I was relieved to hear that I wasn't the first to have this issue. The remainder of our flight I was careful when boarding and stood at the tail to see just how close it was to tipping.
I do need to do a new weight and balance, I was waiting until I am completely done with mod's, I still have the headliner and maybe replace the carpet.
I didn't load this trip anywhere close to the limits set by the builder, but when I had the tail tip it sure gets your attention.

Tim,

I though we talked about this when we flew your plane from FL. As others have said, if you load back seats first and aren't really careful, it will sit on the tail. I always load copilot seat first then both back seats from the left side. I also leave the tiedown ring in the tail at all times. On level pavement, it will save your rudder bottom fairing. It wouldn't hurt to check your CG, but this is very normal if loading as you were, while still finally loaded within CG.

I had the tail slam down during final construction. Cracked the rudder fairing which was a simple repair.

The rear tie down ring is now a permanent fixture, lock nut in place. Drag be dammed!

My -6A tail tie down came that way, welded to a plate that bolts to the rear bulkhead. It has grind marks on the bottom, some landing I don't (want to?)remember.

Last edited:
Back