What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I have enough screens??

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
Straight from the Aerosport Skunkworks (shhhh, don't tell anyone I'm showing you guys this! It's a secret!)

HDR-Panel-cropped.jpg

This redesigned panel does have enough space to fit a GTN750 below the center screen, but I couldn't justify the added cost to upgrade from a 650 to 750...

I still have quite a bit of work to do, but we're getting a lot closer!

Last edited:
I've gotcha beat if you count number of screens. I have one more. It's a Gemini PFD stuck down in the left corner. If you count square inches of screen, I suspect you've got me beat.

See you at OSH!

bob

In this age of "max video"... NEVER! :rolleyes:

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

DYNON Skyview
Garmin 430W
DYNON D6
Garmin Aera
Digital Clock
DYNON Skyview
Ipad Mini

Now where can I squeeze in another screen??? :D

I have the legacy Garmin two screen and I have never found the need to pull the iPad out of my flight bag during flight.
Everything I need has been on the panel.
Good looking panel.

There is going to be a iPad Mini on the panel right below the AP control!

Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to put my engine controls... :confused:

No confusion on your part, I've seen the Solidworks model! 😀. I just wish I could afford to upgrade to the same design. It will be the envy of OSH when you start flying.

Here is a picture of the complete new RV10-310 carbon fiber panel design and Center armrest with Throttle quadrant from Aerosport Products. This will hold
3 10" screens from any manufacture. We will offer throttle quadrant and vernier
controls. More options coming soon

0_0_e79a2e8fc7d43d932d52cd6bb6ec7aeb_1

Contact Aerosport Products for any questions
http://aerosportproducts.com
614-834-8659

Wow Geoff!! You ever stop dreaming and engineering? Makes our existing panels look extinct. Awesome engineering!

These panels are all pretty, but mounting a GTN that low is not consistent with the IFR TSO requirements, unless the PFD is capable of displaying all the annunciations.

These panels are all pretty, but mounting a GTN that low is not consistent with the IFR TSO requirements, unless the PFD is capable of displaying all the annunciations.

I believe that most EFIS are capable of displaying the proper annunciation, although I haven't verified that beyond what I've installed in my aircraft.

With that said, it is the aircraft builder's decision on where to locate the GTN device. Placing it on the center panel should meet the requirements if there was no external annunciation.

The lower console is a good place for ancillary devices list a COMM 2, Transponder, Audio Panel, etc. Although these days, most of those can be remote driven from the EFIS making the physical location moot.

Great timing

Ed - nice panel. What I missed in the fancy electrons of the OP was the fact that this is a new panel from Aerosport.

I'm still probably a year away from buying one, but I've already been thinking along the lines of Greg Hale and making my own...until now. Love the lines of the center console and new throttle quadrant option - can I assume there will be options for the other 10" EFIS panels (non-symmetrical)?

This just made the top of my list for previewing at Oshkosh! :D

No need to worry. The G3X does display all the GTN annunciations on the PFD HSI via the ARINC connection, verified with G3Xpert.

With that said, it is the aircraft builder's decision on where to locate the GTN device. Placing it on the center panel should meet the requirements if there was no external annunciation.

moot.

Bob, I respefully disagree. If you fly IFR your operating limitations require you to follow the FAR equipment rules. The installation manuals are part of the TSOs for ifr gps boxes, and they specify how far away from the main field of view (usually the AI) the annunciation may be. The ones shown look too low.

I have never heard of the FAA attemting to enforce this. But you don't want to be the first, either.

Galin, that's a great looking 0000 timer!?

what brand, and where did you get it? $$?

On line:

http://www.amazon.com/H88-Slim-Magn...id=1432755711&sr=1-22&keywords=kitchen+timers

They cost $4.00 each so I bought 2 of them. They are great for my "old" eyes. I took the little magnet out and replaced it with velcro so it will be easy to change the battery during the condition inspection. But at $4.00 each it might be cheaper just to buy a new one rather than replace the battery. BTW My wife uses my "spare" one in the kitchen.

:cool:

Last edited:
Cease and desist

I demand for all of these new panel and quadrant concepts/implementations photos to cease at once! I just built my panel 3 short years ago and its far too soon to be drooling over the new hotness and thinking about upgrades. Thank you everyone for complying.

I suggest gratuitous fake photos be used as examples of your current progress. Look everyone, I've finished my panel lighting upgrade:
Lamp_30_left_r_wm_1024x1024.jpg

incandescent bulbs?

I demand for all of these new panel and quadrant concepts/implementations photos to cease at once! I just built my panel 3 short years ago and its far too soon to be drooling over the new hotness and thinking about upgrades. Thank you everyone for complying.

I suggest gratuitous fake photos be used as examples of your current progress. Look everyone, I've finished my panel lighting upgrade:

Brian weren't those type of light bulbs outlawed for manufacture recently? Your screwed if one ever burns out ;)

OK, Lenny-------details please.

Is this only some computer generated pipe dream, or is this going to actually exist?

Haha, it used to be that, but it's been real for a while now. Nothing remotely close to the beauty and precision of Geoff's stuff though. Designed in Rhino, cut out of foam on my homebuilt CNC, then glassed over. Just a one off, no molds.
Efis screens existed but have been replaced with AF-5800's. That WAS a pipe dream :rolleyes:

Will take a picture of the real thing sometime.

wholepanel.jpg

Just when I thought I was really happy with my design....
JK... But seriously, the new panel design looks Siiiiick.... Just means another $4k for the screen.....

Oh well, It's on the bench at Stein as we speak....
IPad is going on the far right. Low profile, quick release to get to the breakers if/when needed.

iPad Mount

John - very similar to my thoughts, I've just got enough time to incorporate the new center console. My only question - do you roll down the windows to get to it?? :)

Thanks Ed!

Btw, I like the 3 screen design a lot. I actually never use the right side screen much. I set it for a big picture sectional so I have it there, but it's a bit out of the way, especially that I have short legs and sit closer to the screens than a tall dude would. Forget twisting the right side knob on that screen too. I'd have to be loosening up the seat belts for that. Thankfully they are monstrous 12" screens so a single one will still show almost everything i need.
With the 3 screens you have 2 for yourself that you can really use.

One thing I regret is putting my autopilot way out there on the left. I always have to reach over with my right arm or switch hands on the stick. I'd put that right smack in the middle if I had a choice.

For an iPad I just went with the iPad micro, aka iPhone 6 Plus, mostly because I want to have looping NexRad from XM, and Satellite view, none of which are shown by the AFS units.

I think what we really need is something like this: :D

Thales-ODICIS-futuristic-cockpit.jpg

It's a long shot... still a lot of work to do before I'm ready to fly, but if the stars align, I might make it to OSH this year...

Ed,
We're in the same boat. Been following your build. We have been neck and neck with you for the last year. Usually doing the same stuff at the same time. Had thought we'd get to KOSH this year, but alas it's not to be. It'll fly there next year. Maybe with a baby seat but it's going!!

Just when I thought I was really happy with my design....
JK... But seriously, the new panel design looks Siiiiick.... Just means another $4k for the screen.....

Oh well, It's on the bench at Stein as we speak....
IPad is going on the far right. Low profile, quick release to get to the breakers if/when needed.

You may have this covered already, but a couple quick observations.

1. Where are the heater controls? Are you putting them on the lower console side panels?

2. The front seat headphone jacks look to be partially on the lower console lip on the tunnel and part of the arm rest. With the fuel valve in the vicinity is there enough room there? If you indeed have the center arm rest, I would consider putting them inside the arm rest on the rear shelf. That's were I put both standard plugs and a set of lemo plugs.

bob

You may have this covered already, but a couple quick observations.

1. Where are the heater controls? Are you putting them on the lower console side panels?

2. The front seat headphone jacks look to be partially on the lower console lip on the tunnel and part of the arm rest. With the fuel valve in the vicinity is there enough room there? If you indeed have the center arm rest, I would consider putting them inside the arm rest on the rear shelf. That's were I put both standard plugs and a set of lemo plugs.

bob

Bob,
The drawing isn't accurate with regards to the jacks.
They are on the front, angled portion of the center armrest. With the passengers on the rear. I made custom panels for them. They look great. We've already got an iPod and the mt high O2D2s and a USB inside the armrest. So it's kind of occupied.
The heater controls are on the side of the lower front console. (Where I think most people put them). See my pics a couple posts ago in the 10 Progress thread.

Those are beautiful panels...but may I offer a bit of feedback?

Seems like the long-legged are often forgotten by designers. Builders put various objects right smack where our knees need to go:

Of course, a fellow doing a one-off can and should build exactly the airplane he wants, assuming he can stand a resale hit. However, it's really sad when the design is intended to be commercial, and the long-legged reject it out of hand:

....I'm just sayin'......

Dan this is not a problem in the RV-10 as it is in the other 2 place RV's.
We have guys over 6'6" flying with these panels. We do consider long legged people important.

Geoff

Dan this is not a problem in the RV-10 as it is in the other 2 place RV's.
We have guys over 6'6" flying with these panels. We do consider long legged people important.

Geoff

I can attest to Geoff's comments. I just did ten hours of flight over this past weekend. Leg/knee room wasn't an issue for me at all. I will also say that at about the two hour mark in a plan's built RV-7, my legs start to cramp. So those of us with RV-10s have a bit more space than our two seat brethren.

I hear you. Just feedback, not a right or wrong thing. More knee room is always better than enough.

I've had a couple of 6ft+ guys in my plane and didn't complain about knee room.

Another concern might be the stick hitting the corner between the panel and the center console. My left stick grip touches a bit, but it's right at the end of its travel. I'm sure Geoff had worked that out on his design.

Lenny

I would love to see DanH get into a Quickie 2 or any of the other skinny lancairs with 2 leg holes to fit through. Kind of like wearing skinny jeans. haha! :D

Also, i realize the amount of time spent staring at glass screens is proportional to the (number of screens) ^2. With so much glass, when will you have time to look out the window?! :D

Back