What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wish list for Sun n Fun

togaflyer

Well Known Member
So the plane is coming along. Life is good. My Chief Financial Officer (aka my wife) has approved the funding to outfit the plane. Im heading to Sun and Fun next month to spend more money we don't have. But the good thing, we are doing our part to keep the economy going. I want to make a list of items I should get while Im there. What products have you installed, or plan to install, that would make a nice addition to the plane. Im still doing the research on the big ticket items like the main avionics and engine. But toss out anything that come to minds.

I am planning on flying down there as well, weather permitting.

I am still on the wings for the RV-14, but I need to pick up or order lighting at this point, and am still confused about the various options and vendors, so that will be one objective.

The other will be to play with Dynon and Garmin panels and dream even though I am far away from needing them.

Also want to get a Pitot Mast as I am about at that point as well.

Let's see other things: Learn more if at all possible about fiberglass as I am completely clueless and lack skill.

That's mine. Probably just there for a couple of days at the most.

For the engine, unless things radically change in that market I most likely will go with Vans / Factory new prop/engine deal when the time comes.

Last edited:
Since we are making recommendations to spend your money that you don't have, here are few suggestions.

Find Geoff Combs (Aerosport Products). He usually flies into SnF for a few days, but doesn't have a booth. Hand him a blank check for one of everything he sells. Your interior and spouse will be grateful for the upgrades.

Stop by the AFS booth and give your check to Jenny, so Rob and team can deliver you a top notch panel. They have some great alternatives than to support Garmin for the rest of your aircraft's life.

Then head over to BPE Engines. Allen and Rhonda will be glad to take care of your engine needs.

While I say this all "tongue in cheek", it's really hard to make specific recommendations with out understanding your mission, requirements, and budget constraints.

I agree with Bob regarding Aerosport Products and BPE. Great products and service from both. I would also talk to Stein at the SteinAir booth about your panel. He sell all the brands and provides exceptional after sales support.

I too, would like to meet Geoff Combs if available. Won't be down till Friday and Saturday but if possible would like to get together for a few minutes.

RV-10 building
Bryan

My list for Oshkosh '15

I'm not sure where you are in the build process, but here's some of the things I'm looking for at Oshkosh this year (can't make Sun 'N Fun):
1) Lights (Nav/Strobe & Landing/Taxi) Whelen and Aeroled
2) Antennas - Archer for tip, whips
3) Pitot mast
4) Fuel valve and extensions - Andair
5) Fuel pumps - Airflow Perf

Interested Vendor Discussions:
Vertical Power / AFS for schematic layout differences
Mounting ADHRS (Garmin / Dynon / AFS)
EFII in general - fuel return lines specifically
Oxygen tanks

Of course, now that you've posted a request for a wish list, you are obligated to report back from Sun 'N Fun with findings for everyone...:D

TFeeney,

Maybe I can just skip Oshkosh this year and read your trip report! Your list matches mine to a large degree! I'm also going to investigate engine options.

See you there!

Bob good point and info. I will hunt down Geoff and the others while Im there. Plan to camp there for the week. Though, I may need to forget to get a couple of things while Im there. Oops, now I need to go to Oshkosh this year too, my bad. The plane will be set up as an IFR cross country plane. When the plane is fully operational and completely shook down, we plan to fly from Florida, up to Canada, across to Alaska, then back. We like to travel with our backpacks and camp on our trips.

Eric, never skip Oshkosh! Most of the items TFeeney mentioned is what I will also be looking at. I plan to have all external antennas, Im looking at blade type for comm and LOC/ILS, wich cost more but offers reduced drag

Hey Rich,
I just got in to punta Gorda this afternoon in my 10. I'll be down here for a couple of weeks if you want to see some of the Aerosport stuff. I rented a hangar for the duration
Bill

Here are a few goodies that you might consider:

Aerosport Seat Lever
Aerosport Rudder Trim
Aerosport Door Handle Upgrade
Planearound wheel pant bracket upgrade
Planearound 3rd latch
Sun visors - there are two common options AFAIK: Blue Mountain and Rosen
Electronic ignition - shop around/get pilot feedback on the various vendors
Duckworks LED landing lights

Happy shopping!

Aveo Engineering and DP Aviation

Don't forget about Aveo Labs for your lights too. It's good to compare them to the others (i.e. AeroLED, Whelen, etc). Also, check Delta Pop Aviation for antennas (website, might not be at SnF).

sun-n-fun

I was.thinking of flying commercially down to Florida for the sun-n-fun and bringing my back pack with camping gear. Can anyone give me some advice as if that is duable. Are there places to camp if you don't have a plane or rv camper? Also if I rent a car from the airport is there a place to park for say 3 days?

Visit the RAF's Fire Hub while at S'nF

To togaflyer, stamper and anyone else who's planning to stay on the S'nF grounds for a few days, please feel free to join us at the RAF Fire Hub:
-- each early morning before the show starts we'll be serving fresh coffee and Quaker-baked donuts, freshly made on the grounds
-- Thursday eve's Potato Bake, the RAF's 'signature dinner'

No charge for either one. It's our way of reminding pilots & a/c owners that the RAF is about protecting, reopening and maintaining recreational airstrips all over the country, especially those on public lands (state & federal). And if you are parked in Aircraft Camping, you'll walk right by our Fire Hub, which is very close to the Corn Roast.

Check us out at www.theraf.org Now 6500 members and growing, with many reopened airstrips, MOAs with USFS and BLM managers, and we've now been able to amend Recreational Use Statutes in 25 states to better protect airstrip owners.

Jack
RAF Florida Liaison

Just got the tickets for my son and I to fly down to sun-n-fun. Looking forward to it, we are hoping to just camp out and we will be there the evening of the 22nd. Look forward to seeing a lot of rv10's and meeting some of the folks that use this forum.

camping

Stamper,

Just follow directions to the Lakeland airport, and as you get close you'll see a bunch of signs on the road showing the way to Sun n Fun camping. Pay for your camping tickets at the gate and then camp anywhere, next to your car.

It's probably best to take up Jack on his offer to camp with them though.

Lenny

Back