What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soon to be new -10 builder

jszost

I'm New Here
Hello all! First post of I am sure to be many. I am a CFII at a flight school in West Michigan, and have decided to take the plunge on an RV-10. I have a spare 24x40 foot garage behind my house to serve as my workshop, along with a full complement of tools from Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. Have never flown in an RV of any type, but the allure of building my own vs buying has won out. Are there any -10 builders in West Michigan? Thank you in advance to everyone here for all the stupid questions that are sure to come!

Mike must have stepped away to go the bathroom or something, so Welcome!! You are in for a grand adventure.

Welcome to VAF and the best RV site on the planet.

Great choice with the -10. I've had mine for almost 6 years and we love it more every time we fly.

Best,

I hanger my -10 up in Gladwin (KGDW) where we have a lake house. If you can make it up here I would be more than happy to arrange a familiarization flight.

Welcome to VAF!

Mike must have stepped away to go the bathroom or something, so Welcome!! You are in for a grand adventure.

( Thanks Scott, glad someone has my back on this:D )

Josh,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

The 10 is a great machine, we love ours.

Mike must have stepped away to go the bathroom or something, so Welcome!!

Dang, I got all excited to make a post quick because if you can sneak in a welcome aboard before Mike does then you are doing good! I just barely missed the mark :D

Welcome! Bring on the questions.. I'm sure I have some debt to repay to the community still lol :)

I hope to be able to say the same...shortly

I have been putting off committing since 1997, now, I figure enough is enough and my wife is encouraging me to build the RV-10 instead of the 7 for which I have had preview plans for 6 years already.

Sadly, I am in the LA area...but perhaps we can trade discoveries long distance.

Never built anything other than an RC or the occasional dune buggy (a long time ago), so this will be a challenge I've no doubt.

I have started by buying the new EAA 'building a metal airplane' DVD which I have found very interesting to watch...particularly while I am pedaling the elliptical machine :)

This has been planned for 3-4 years, and now that I finally have a good build space, I decided that it will never be "the perfect time". I purchased that DVD also, and have already watched it a few times. I have dealt with Cleaveland Tool for my tools purchase, and Van's for both practice kits. Both vendors have been super helpful so far and the practice kits are an awesome way to see what this riveting stuff is all about. Still trying to carve some free time out of my normal work and CFII schedule to get up and fly with David (9GT).

Welcome to VAF!

I have been putting off committing since 1997, now, I figure enough is enough and my wife is encouraging me to build the RV-10 instead of the 7

Robert, welcome to VAF:D

Wives love the 10............even if the back seats never have people in them.

Or, maybe I should say "my wife" loves it to carry lots of stuff;)

Welcome

One of the most rewarding, exciting, pride boosting things you will ever do.
Let the fun began.

Alan W.

Back